Start by marking “Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age” as Want to Read:
Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age

Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Outwardly charming, confident, and successful individuals may in fact be caught in a knot of self-destructive behavior. This book looks at case histories and delineates appropriate treatments for each disorder--offering a real hope for cure.
Published March 1st 1990 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Search For The Real Self, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Search For The Real Self

Amber
I would recommend this book for anyone interested in human nature or psychology. It describes where borderline and narcissistic personality disorders come from and the kinds of behaviors they lead to in adults. It is written more for therapists than those seeking self-help, but the writing was clear and made sense to me as a layman. A lot of the ideas are applicable to all people, not just those with personality disorders, so I think just about anyone would find it fascinating.
Kitsuniku
Not so much a self help as it is a clinical psychology book primarily focus on abandonment depression. Even then, is one that I would recommend to many.
Starts off with how the developement of a child in the first few years can effect them as they get older. The importance of particular behaviors and games that youngster play and how the parent(s) respond to them. The later chapters go into the variations of how the impairment of one's developement can effect them in various aspect of their life
Dr. Stanley
An important book which explains the early childhood antecedents of the borderline (deficient) personality elements which so many suffer from and which inhibit their work and love lives. But these borderline elements (weakness of basic psychological abilities), which are fairly common among psychotherapy patients, differ from a borderline personality disorder which is far more severe and less frequent. I praised this book in the introduction to the 2nd edition of one of my books, Troubled Childr ...more
Bill Taylor
On the face of it, this book looks a bit like a self help book, but is actually much deeper than that. I would say it was primarily aimed at psychology health professionals as it goes on the describe therapies to use for disorder treatments. Nevertheless, I did read the first few chapters and found them hard going but informative.

I could really do with something aimed more at the man in the street.
Very easy read. I love how it's written and his presentation of the pre-egoic personality disorders. He includes many real life examples of people with Narcissistic, Borderline, and Schizoid Personality Disorders. My only wish is that he continued on in describing OCPD, HPD and so on in the same exact way.
Randy Elrod
Excellent book, especially the last chapter about the role of creativity in finding your true self. Contains eye-opening profiles of artists: Sartre, Tom Wolfe and Munch.
Kevin
This book changed my life when I was 12 or 13. I read it again every year or so, to slightly less effect. Still: excellent.
Leena
Great professional resource as a deeper discussion about personality disorders and effective treatments.
I read this based on Lynne's recommendation, and found it very worthwhile. Thanks, Lynne!
Emily
A good, basic intro to.
Frances Brightman
Frances Brightman is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2014
Jon Wallis
Jon Wallis marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Simoné
Simoné marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Annelene Naidoo
Annelene Naidoo marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Peter Kahn
Peter Kahn marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Sep 28, 2014
Kristen Davis
Kristen Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Shannon Black
Shannon Black marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • The Story of Psychology
  • The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • Twins: And What They Tell Us about Who We Are
  • The Future of the Past
  • Overcoming Depression
  • Malignant Sadness: The Anatomy of Depression
  • The Emotionally Absent Mother: A Guide to Self-Healing and Getting the Love You Missed
  • The Cloud Collector's Handbook. by Gavin Pretor-Pinney
  • The Cry for Myth
  • Toxic Psychiatry: Why Therapy, Empathy & Love Must Replace the Drugs, Electroshock & Biochemical Theories of the New Psychiatry
  • Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • On Kissing, Tickling, and Being Bored: Psychoanalytic Essays on the Unexamined Life
  • Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
Narcissistic and Borderline Disorders: An Integrated Development Approach The Real Self: A Developmental, Self And Object Relations Approach: Structure / Function / Development / Psychopathology / Treatment / Creativity A Therapist's Guide to the Personality Disorders: The Masterson Approach: A Handbook and Workbook The Personality Disorders Through the Lens of Attachment Theory and the Neurobiologic Development of the Self: A Clinical Integration The Emerging Self: A Developmental Self & Object Relations Approach to the Treatment of the Closet Narcissistic Disorder of the Self