Start by marking “Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man” as Want to Read:
Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man

Straight Talk, No Chaser: How to Find, Keep, and Understand a Man

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,826 ratings  ·  157 reviews
In the instant number one New York Times bestseller Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man, Steve Harvey gave millions of women around the globe insight into what men really think about love, intimacy, and commitment. In his new book he zeros in on what motivates men and provides tips on how women can use that knowledge to get more of what they need out of their relationships, ...more
Published December 7th 2010 by Amistad (first published March 2nd 2010)

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFirst Step 2 Forever by Justin BieberConfessions of a Guidette by Nicole "Snooki" PolizziGoing Rogue by Sarah PalinBirth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also R... by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-And...
Dealbreakers: If You Like This Book, We Won't Get Along
355th out of 1,548 books — 5,301 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensThe Secret by Rhonda ByrneHow to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale CarnegieThink and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
Best Self Help Books
491st out of 514 books — 750 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlie Fey
It was "OK." The problem with this book is it's teaching women how to be good mates for their husbands/boyfriends. How to make him happy, how to get along with him, how to fulfill his needs, so he can then, hopefully, give you what you want.

Okay, if you want to know "how to please your man" and be the perfect Stepford wife, I imagine this is the book to read. But what about a woman finding HER happiness, having HER needs meet, having love she wants. No, this book does not cover any topic about w
Kimberly
Well, this was an extremely quick read. Personally, I don't think the book is all that bad. I actually like it more than "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man."

I think I needed to read this book at this time as a reminder. Men aren't evil, overly stupid or lesser than equal. I do not have to use them before getting used or let my excess baggage come between me and the next best thing. In fact, I don't need to go to such extremes to protect myself and project hurts from men no longer into my life fo
WillowBe
Hmmmm. One or two interesting points, but the Male as unsophisticated knuckle-dragger, and Female as all things civilized, good and gentle tactic gets very wearing. He simultaneously stereotypes men and makes them look really dumb, barely capable of learning how to be part of a household thereby justifying their behavior. Yes men should have their cake and get to eat it too! My father cooked, cleaned, diapered babies and went to PTA meetings throughout our lives and was still a real Black Man- a ...more
Zero vi Britannia
Hell to the No
To the tune of "Hell to the No" from Glee.

Mama said I should read this book
I said "Hell to the no."
My daddy said to give it a look
I said "Hell to the no."
Wanna make me read this shit?
Prepare to get your head split!
This book's a whole lotta
Oh oh oh oh oh
Hell to the no no n-no n-no n-no
Think I should give this book a chance?
You know what?
Hell to the no! (hell to the no!)
It'll help me with love and romance?
Hell to the no! (hell to the no!)
Try to get me to read this?
You better watch ou
Camille
This book straightend me right up when it comes to men. I know now how to chose my next man and exactly what I need to do to keep him. Kudos to Steve Harvey. If women read this and don't understand that these words are coming out of a man who has been married three times and has finally learned how to be a good man.... then they just don't want to hear the truth. It is what it is. Be smart, keep yourself updated.. looks wise and intelligence wise. Keep it real. That's basically what Steve says. ...more
Taymara Jagmohan
It analysed the previous book, but it just carved in a few old memories.
Steve, you have taught me a lot.
I feel very indebted, and im even happier that i made no mistakes as it regards dating.
-Still ebullient, and persevering.
Im a student, and i loved the way you mirrored the propinquities you shared with your wife.
That's a beautiful example for all the young men, although we dont wish for them to be all the same, but a few similarities are welcome.
Muchas gracias AND it was a measure of paragon
Emilia P
Aw Steve.
My boo gave this for me the day before he asked me to marry him. How prescient! This is the logical follow-up to Act Like A Lady, in that this assumes you've got the dude. And now you gotta deal with him and vice versa. Every few chapters Errol would say "what's he telling you now" and I would read him the handily provided bullet points, and he would say oh I already know that stuff and/or it's wrong. :)
But the basic premise of this is --keep your man happy, and tell him how to keep yo
Buggz79
There are a number of basic truths covered in this book:

1. Men are more often than not, fairly simple. Don't be fooled by that though, simple organisms are capable of fairly complex behaviour..

2. A central tenet of manliness is "Doing what you said you'd do". Which in my world translates into Integrity. And this i completely concur with.

The rest of it is told from Steve's viewpoint of the world. Some resonated deeply with me (Antinag tips) and some of it was meh (wear makeup and blazers around
Shannon
You don't have to agree 100% with everything Steve says to get some good insights into the mind of man with this book. Quick read, some good tips that just make sense. After all, a relationship is just as much a business partnership as it is an emotional one. I especially appreciated the negotiating scenarios as some good examples of how to approach a subject. I actually used them the weekend I read the book and it worked!
Lisa
Jun 20, 2014 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All females right before they start dating
I always thought Steve Harvey was just a comedian/actor, so when until I checked this out, I had no idea he gives advice to mostly single women on his own radio show.

Many of the reviewers thought this book should be subtitled, "How To Please a Man," but I think it should be subtitled, "How Not to Get Used by a Man".

I am more conservative than Steve, but thought he gave great advice! If you are single and want to avoid a broken heart and/or wasting time on some guy that is not for you, read this.
Bjarke
Nov 19, 2013 Bjarke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: female teens 15 or 16 plus
Recommended to Bjarke by: no one
Very insightful, and good continuation from his first book (Act like a lady think like a man).

I particularly like how Steve writes as if he's talking to you, so when you read it's as if he's sitting on the couch opposite to you giving you his advice on how to keep and get your mate. It really has that one-on-one personal feel to it when you read.

The content of the book basically revolves around the way men think. He states, throughout the book, a theme of "men are simple" (In the sense that
Stacey Marie Robinson
Steve Harvey's first book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man was a hit! It was being quoted, celebrated, recited, dictated, and read aloud like holy scripture to women near and far. Single woman, married women, dating women: it didn't matter. The ladies wanted to hear what Steve Harvey had to say about love and relationships...and were thirsty for his keeping-it-real male perspective that their girlfriends couldn't [accurately] give them.

After all, it came from a man we know and love: Broderik St
Cheryl
I never read the first book, but found this one interesting. I think it's one man's views. And certainly, one man cannot speak for all men (just the same way I for instance could not speak for all women). Having said that, I think any woman who was, is, or will be in a relationship with a man could benefit from reading what Harvey has to say.

"8. WHY DO MEN STOP CALLING... because we're done. You need closure, but men don't; we just need it to be over. We don't need to know why it didn't work, we
Karen Peyton
"Every Women should read this at age 15"

If you could sum up Straight Talk, No Chaser in three words, what would they be?
That way we can avoid so many bad decisions. This should be a prerequisite to dating.

What other book might you compare Straight Talk, No Chaser to and why?
I have none in my library to compare it with. This is like a bible for dating men.

Have you listened to any of Steve Harvey’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
No this was my first. I wish his first book was
Basma
This is a delicious fast read with an unmistakable sense of humour about how men think and react in various relationship-related situations, I've personally found it to be more fun, down to earth, and insightful than most of John Gray's books
Red Kedi
Questo libro non è uno dei soliti racconti dove qualcuno cerca di spiegarci come ragionano gli uomini. Qui si tratta di un uomo che ci parla dei suoi simili e ci spiega, come vedono loro il mondo e noi donne.
Steve ci parla di se e dei suoi amici, ci spiega come gli uomini vedono il mondo e vedono coloro che dovranno affrontare nella vita, le donne.
Non è il primo a farlo e non sarà l'ultimo ma queste pagine mi hanno dato modo di pensare e di farmi domande che mai avrei pensato. Certo, tutte noi
Vanessa
I really want to read this because I have been too busy to finish book club books on time recently, or when I did finish the book got stuck at work the night book club met. But having finished the introduction, it was very hard to go further. One page deeper in, I just don't think I can force myself to click "buy" and read beyond the free sample. Fortunately for me, and unfortunatley for anyone who actually shelled out hard cash, I'm pretty sure I get the gist already. All men think one way (the ...more
Diana
This book gives women some food for thought, especially if you are thinking about how "you" can be a better partner. However, a relationship is about two people, so I think it is important for the reader to remember that she is only half the equation.

I did like that the suggestions Steve Harvey makes do subconsciously push the reader to ask, "is that me?", and will push for some self-reflection from the reader on how you can be a better person. Communication is critical and folks sometimes forg
Christina Boyle
Fascinating study on how men think. It's sad that much of this is foreign to me. I really enjoyed the book even though it's essentially the same as the first. I wish Steve Harvey was my friend and I could get his take on my love life.
Erin E
Ummmm... What was I thinking? I need to have a second look at my dating decisions....

Thought the book was increadibly interesting I am sure that it is a book I would have not considered should it now have been suggested too me.
Ellie Revert
Jan 11, 2011 Ellie Revert marked it as to-read
He's got great ideas but honestly I don't care about how to handle a man---I've got my hero and we seem to be working things out---lo, these many 47 years! I would have been reading it for Annette's sake--she can read it herself!
Aimee Warrington
Harvey's first book was better. This one rehashes his previous stuff and splays it out in a more defensive manner (as though he's saying "no, really, this book is that other book but BETTER". It's not better though.) Pass.
Heidi
Good book for women esp single women to read and thanks steve for givin us the real truth..all women could learn a few things
Adrienna
So far, there are very limited good points in this book that I was able to take in perspective for my life and relationship. I do like "Let your man get to what needs to be done in his own time" since woman can expect men to be on top in some cases when women are doing well (breadwinner)...and men do accept women making more money than them but I know there has to be insecurity issues stirring inside of them even if they don't voice it or show it. We have to give them time to get where they need ...more
Alexandra
I liked this book. A lot of what was being said was repetitious, but I feel like women need things repeated at times. Steve was very informative when it came down to many specific situations and how women should handle them. One in particular that I am going to try is when getting to know a man I am going to dig a little deeper for the true answer to (for example) why his last relationship didn't last. Women can't settle for the first answer. Steve says that's the answer he uses to make you feel ...more
Mrs. Tongate
Recommended by a student that I had to read this book since I like Steve Harvey on the radio. Yes, one or two good points. I do see why high school girls would enjoy this book, but no more student recs for me for awhile!
Micaela Semien
This was a really good book. I got alot of insight into a guys mind, and I really learned alot about how guys think and how they are. I have used what I have learned, and it makes me feel better about who I let in my life and who I get into a relationship with. Not everyone is here to help you.
Roz
I was hesitant to read this book because of the reviews from women stating this book was a guide to keep your man happy. This book in no way does that . Mr Harvey is simply telling the readers how a man thinks on several topics from relationships, money, and family. The ultimate message is to develop some standards when dating and stick to those standards.
B. King
I didn't like this half as much as I liked the first one. It didn't have as much witt and humor as the first book and I felt that some of the material was redundant.
Veronica

This book answered so many questions that I had! I know that I have to be more appreciative towards my spouse!! I should say it more often!
Is Steve Harvey Qualified 2 26 Apr 04, 2013 10:09PM
  • The Conversation: How Black Men and Women Can Build Loving, Trusting Relationships
  • Act Like a Gentleman, Think Like a Woman:  A Woman's Response to Steve Harvey's Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
  • The Vixen Manual: How to Find, Seduce, & Keep the Man You Want
  • The Soulmate Secret: Manifest the Love of Your Life with the Law of Attraction
  • It's Just a F***ing Date: Some Sort of Book About Dating
  • Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings: Madea's Uninhibited Commentaries on Love and Life
  • Spanish for Dummies
  • It's Not You, It's Biology.: The Science of Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate
  • Why Him? Why Her?: Understanding Your Personality Type and Finding the Perfect Match
  • How to Get Out of Your Own Way
  • See No Evil (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #8)
  • A Voice in the Box
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • Love Smart: Find the One You Want--Fix the One You Got
  • Big Fat Lies Women Tell Themselves: Ditch Your Inner Critic and Wake Up Your Inner Superstar
  • Making Sense of People: Decoding the Mysteries of Personality
  • Be Honest--You're Not That Into Him Either: Raise Your Standards and Reach for the Love You Deserve
206062
Broderick Steven "Steve" Harvey is an American comedian, actor, entertainer, and radio personality.

He is probably best known as the star of the WB sitcom The Steve Harvey Show, and as one of the four comedians featured in the Spike Lee film The Original Kings of Comedy.

Currently, he is the host of The Steve Harvey Morning Show, a nationally syndicated radio program.

He is also the author of Act Lik
More about Steve Harvey...
Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success Harvey/Moog roots: and an entanglement of Schneider, Bell, Blesbois, Joly, Savery and Barnard branches Direto ao ponto - Como encontrar, segurar e entender os homens Steve Harvery's Roopster Roux #3