Start by marking “B.P.R.D., Vol. 14: King of Fear (B.P.R.D., #14)” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D., Vol. 14: King of Fear (B.P.R.D., #14)

B.P.R.D., Vol. 14: King of Fear (B.P.R.D. #14)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A story that began in the first issue of Hellboy concludes with the B.P.R.D. team set to permanently wipe out the subterranean colony of frog monsters that have been a story-driving plague. With Memnan Saa dead, agents Liz and Abe take on the powerful King of Fear - who ultimately reveals that it is, in fact, the B.P.R.D. members themselves who will lead the world to apoca ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published November 3rd 2010 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., Vol. 14, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D., Vol. 14

Having skipped from volume 5 to volume 14 makes for a confusing time (though its not as bad as it could be as the three books set in the 1940s are part of the numbering sequence. Sometimes volume numbers in this universe are pretty arbitrary). A lot seems to have happened, even though some things (the frog war) continue. There are a lot of callbacks to the first volume, which is why you always need to pay attention - some seemingly trivial thing in one volume becomes of major importance much lat ...more
This collection is meant to mark the close of one lengthy chapter for B.P.R.D. (that would be the frogmen) and open another. And it's certainly a spectacular way of doing it. I'll be honest, I'd been getting a little tired of the frogmen, so it's kind of nice to see that they won't be a real issue anymore. And it ends on a very compelling note. It definitely looks like there will be some exciting things ahead. But the way that we got there felt a little rushed, a little confused. Like maybe Mign ...more
[Name Redacted]
Good gravy. The only thing I can really compare this to is the finale of the short-lived sci-fi series "Threshold" -- one story ends, seemingly with triumph, but this triumph is illusory. Massive, horrible things are coming, and the actions of the protagonists aren't preventing them; they're actually teaching the antagonists how to win. You can't defeat the inevitable. It's like the Ragnarok of comics.
Im a longtime fan of Hellboy/B.P.R.D and this storyarc was the best in years and got me caring about their universe again. Since i dont follow Hellboy series anymore.

Thrilling end to the War on Frogs cycle.
Orrin Grey
Maybe I had my sights set too high on this one. With the build-up of it being the culmination of the "Plague of Frogs" storyline, and after The Black Goddess, which I thought was one of the best volumes so far, I was really, really looking forward to King of Fear. (If nothing else, you can't beat that title!) And I'm not going to say it disappointed, exactly, but I didn't think it was as good as The Black Goddess.

It wraps everything up with more questions than answers, really, changing up the st
Yet another graphic novel in the BPRD series.. a Hellboy offshoot story. Dealing with monsters and the weird is what they do... Usually kind of a creepy storyline, but fun to read. I'm looking forward to the next one...
Mignola changes everything up here, and provides an interesting new status quo for the series to shift into, one where the apocalypse is now an everyday occurrence. The volume serves as more transition between the previous status quo (War on Frogs) to the new one (Hell on Earth). It exists not so much as a story as a series of narrative points. The interesting thing is that these series of narrative points work so, so well. As usual, the character work is great, and Guy Davis' art is fantastic. ...more
Matthew Brady
I'm not sure I followed exactly what was going on in this volume, which acted as a climax for the first "cycle" of BPRD stories, but also a transition into the next phase, which gave the series the subtitle of "Hell on Earth". There's definitely some cool stuff here, but the first few chapters focused on Kate Corrigan helping Lobster Johnson reach his final resting place, which was nice (and featured a great image of his "happy" afterlife), but a bit of a step away from the impending apocalypse. ...more
The tension is really mounting in this volume of BPRD. I've not read many comicbooks that have better conveyed such a sense of IMPENDING DOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!!!
I can't wait to see where this is going.
I've seriously had it with the fire-explosions saving the world already. What a lazy way to continually solve so many of the conflicts in these BPRD books - it ruins all of the buildup and pacing.

Nevertheless, this novel is a welcome return to form for the BPRD series. All of the humor and wit from previous volumes returns full force and none of the connections really felt forced like they have in the past (although I think the team still suffers from the loss of Daimio). This book guides the s
Sam Quixote
This book is a wrapping up of sorts. The end of the Frog War is dealt with quickly, barely in fact, ready for the next cycle of BPRD stories. There is the culmination of Lobster Johnson's story arc which began in Issue 1 of Hellboy. Then there is the titular character the "King of Fear" who is a character from earlier in the BPRD series. Except when he was introduced back then he was defeated quite easily and so his return and subsequent super power is unfathomable. Liz has a premonition from he ...more
Daniel Etherington
Long-time fan of Hellboy, been reading it since the start, but I must admit I've got a bit lost lately with the whole Hellboy/BPRD world. And moving away from buying comics to buying trade paperback collections doesn't exactly help as the gap between publication messes with the continuity in your memory. (I know, I know, I should re-read the previous volumes before the new volume, but a new comics trade PB is so exciting I just want to get stuck in.)

I've had mixed feelings about Guy Davis's art
Jeremie Watson
After reading The Warning and The Black Goddess, finishing the rest of B.P.R.D. definitely gave me a twist of emotion that kept my head spinning with excitement. Unquestionably, every devastating and catastrophically beautiful panel after the other forcibly grabbed my eyes. Mike Mignola does not fail to make a reader undeniably enthused. I can not get enough of B.P.R.D. The artwork will have you in awe, and will keep you mesmerized for the entirety of his masterpiece.
Gabriel Wallis
B.P.R.D.: King of Fear (volume 14) was a great read. Of course, all Mike Mignola graphic novels are a great read. There's so much mystery and adventure in them. They're almost like reading old pulp stories. In this graphic novel, Lobster Johnson finds his peace in the afterlife, Liz Sherman faces a future she doesn't want to face, bureaucracy overrules the B.P.R.D., and the King of Fear creates an army to take over the world. Looking forward to reading more Mike Mignola stories. They're some of ...more
A bit of an anticlimax for the big resolution. The creators throw an interesting twist into the plotting, revealing that one of the B.P.R.D. crew may be a possible apocalyptic agent, a la Hellboy.

But the big threat that's been building for so many issues is handled by a mixture of magic and "raging out" by one character. The finale establishes a new status quo, but it doesn't seem like a natural development, especially given the hopelessness that had characterized the preceding issues.

The art i
Fraser Sherman
The BPRD has its final showdown with the troglodyte king, the Black Flame and their armies. However, it's less impressive than the build-up because it's less a big finish (and at this point Liz frying everything to hell and back isn't that much of a surprise) and more a launching pad for the next cycle, Hell on Earth. So a little disappointing.
The text piece at the end lays out what this volume of B.R.P.D. This 14th volume marks the end of a cycle, and the a new cycle is set to begin. Abe, Liz, Kate and the remaining members of the organization have grown beyond being Hellboy's supporting characters (for a like series see Gotham Central). The threat keeps growing bigger, but that is all right because the same is happening in Hellboy's series. Forces have been unleashed, and now the Bureau answers to the UN. and not the U.S. military ( ...more
It's climactic.
This is another example of missing pieces - according to the volume list, this one follows directly after the War on Frogs collection, but there seemed to be a huge gap between the two. And the story callbacks were to even further into BPRD's past. I remember bits and pieces so I think I've gotten the whole story, but I don't think I got as much resonance as I would have if I'd read it closer together. Still an interesting story, and fairly epic, I just felt lost with much of it.
Jun 23, 2012 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
If you're still reading this series in volume 14, you know what you're getting. The conclusion of the Plague of Frogs arc is satisfying, and sets up a new status quo for the next installment of the series.

I'd be lying if I said I could remember enough of the details of the mythology (B.P.R.D. goes back to 2003; the roots of the story go all the way back to the mid-1990s) to fully appreciate the intricacy. I guess that's what re-reading is for!
I have been a big fan of the Hellboy mythos, but I was very underwhelmed by the final installment of the Frog series in B.P.R.D.

I felt the story was all over the place and failed to tie up loose ends, I was expecting the entire arc to end with an amazing bang, which was building up in the previous installments, but instead faded with a whimper.

I hope the new Arc re-establishes what the previous installments of B.P.R.D. had begun to accomplish.
I think the building of the volumes leads to a successful end to the first volume of BPRD stories and sets up an exciting progression for the series. I especially enjoyed Bruno and Kate's "date," the suggested impact of Panya's medical ministrations, and the return of the King of Fear. If you read my reviews, you'll note the gushing I do every time about Guy Davis, but it is worth mentioning that the art is, once again, top notch.
Kelly Lynn Thomas
Unexpected characters come back in this volume, and there are surprises for Abe, too. I love the way his story line is developing, and the way he's had to step up and take a leadership role, even though he was so reluctant to do so at first. Kate is the same; she gets some great screen time in this volume, and she's becoming such a force. I love it.
Feb 06, 2011 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: justok
This one was a bit of a letdown. Even my favorite artist, GUy Davis, turned in fairly average work. The giant plotline, which had been going for years, ended with a fizzle. It feels like the writer, John Arcudi, just wanted to get it over with so that they could move on to something new.
So so good! I am absolutely in love with the art of Guy Davis, and the writing team of Arcudi and Mignola have been building up this story nicely for some time now.

The joy of Horror!
A fitting end to a great series. The new story arc has started (B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth) and it's turning out to be even creepier.
Picked this up at random in the library, and I am now going back to get as many of the rest as the library has.

Good old fashioned horror.
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • Northlanders, Vol. 4: The Plague Widow
  • Hellboy: Unnatural Selection
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • RASL, Vol. 3: Romance at the Speed of Light (RASL, #3)
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Hellboy: On Earth as it is in Hell
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination
  • The Absolute Death
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 5
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 3: Plague of Frogs (B.P.R.D., #3)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 5: The Black Flame (B.P.R.D., #5)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 6: The Universal Machine (B.P.R.D., #6)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 7: Garden of Souls (B.P.R.D., #7)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 8: Killing Ground (B.P.R.D., #8)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946 (B.P.R.D., #9)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 10: The Warning (B.P.R.D., #10)
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)