Start by marking “South of Haunted Dreams: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
South of Haunted Dreams: A Memoir

South of Haunted Dreams: A Memoir

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
For black Americans from the north, a crossing into the South has always been a meaningful transition, a journey weighted with the burdens of history and oppression. Writing with real emotion and a twist of irony, Eddy L. Harris combines the lively detail of travel writing with a brilliant exploration of race in America.
Published September 15th 1997 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about South of Haunted Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South of Haunted Dreams

Justin
Jun 30, 2011 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How do I type a sigh? If you I could figure that out, I would probably type two or three sentences worth. Since it looks like I'm the first person reviewing this book on Goodreads, I might as well tell you what it's about before I comment on it.

This is a work of creative non-fiction about a black man who grew up around whites in the North and decides to take a motorcycle trip to the South to find his roots and face the, what he initially believes, ongoing oppression of the black people by the wh
Ensiform
Mar 31, 2013 Ensiform rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Another travel book by Harris, a black author, this time about a motorcycle trip through the U.S. South. I thought it was almost as good as Native Stranger. It was told with the same poetic description, the same raw honesty. He shows great skill as a writer by arranging his experiences and thoughts in such a way as to form a novel-like construction, with buildup, climax and denouement, even though it is (for the most part, certainly) non-fiction. The pure honesty of Harris' presentation & th ...more
Clio
Study the history that destroys you.

I don't think I would have loved this book quite so much if less of my mindspace was made up of mythologies of All the King's Men. Jack Burden romanticized the study of history for me and caught me up in the idea that "the world is all of one piece." I think Eddy Harris and Robert Penn Warren have a lot of similar ideas about learning from history and the importance of connection.

I. When you use a philosophy of disconnection as a crutch, it becomes a mental bl
Joy Weese Moll
May 21, 2015 Joy Weese Moll rated it really liked it
Eddy Harris, an African-American who grew up near where I live in the St. Louis region, takes a journey by motorcycle through the Deep South of the United States, encountering personal and societal demons about race.

More thoughts on my blog, including how it fit with our book club: South of Haunted Dreams
David
South of Haunted Dreams: A Memoir by Eddy L. Harris (Holt Paperbacks 1993)(Biography). A Northern-raised Black guy comes South. His preconceptions and prejudices almost cost him any pleasure in the trip, but he finally came around some. My rating: 5/10, finished 2006.
Amber
Apr 14, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
This is a powerful book about a man who confronts his fear/anger about the country's racist past by planning a motorcycle trip through the South. The lessons he learns are inspiring for sure.
Pat
Jul 18, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir is immensely enjoyable and ultimately revealing about race, the South and America. For anyone even remotely interested in those topics, this is without doubt a must read.
Kaye
May 21, 2015 Kaye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner from Eddy L. Harris. Beautiful writing. A introspective journey through the US South, confronting prejudice, his own and others.
Avary
Mar 15, 2009 Avary rated it really liked it
Shelves: southern, memoir
The Native Stranger rides a motorcycle through the South -- expecting the worst. He is surprised with what he finds. Another honest look.
Florence
Oct 26, 2008 Florence rated it really liked it
At first I thought, "this guy is so angry", then I began to like him and take his journey to heart.
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Alexsandra Stewart
Alexsandra Stewart rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 17, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
Nov 07, 2015
Holly Zaher
Holly Zaher marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Cindy
Cindy added it
Sep 14, 2015
shirley
shirley marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Sujata
Sujata marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Celeste Grant
Celeste Grant marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Dave Spaulding
Dave Spaulding rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Joey
Joey added it
Jul 04, 2015
Ed Ackert
Ed Ackert marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Jacara Chas
Jacara Chas rated it liked it
May 20, 2015
Patrick Dobson
Patrick Dobson rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2015
Katherine Hensley
Katherine Hensley marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Alisha
Alisha marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kelley
Kelley rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015