Start by marking “Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354” as Want to Read:
Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354

Traveling Man: The Journey of Ibn Battuta 1325-1354

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
James Rumford, himself a world traveler, has retold Ibn Battuta’s story in words and pictures, adding the element of ancient Arab maps—maps as colorful and evocative as a Persian miniature, as intricate and mysterious as a tiled Moroccan wall. Into this arabesque of pictures and maps is woven the story not just of a traveler in a world long gone but of a man on his journey ...more
Published May 25th 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Traveling Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traveling Man

Nancy
Feb 24, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published: 2001, Houghton Mifflin
Age: 8-11
This is a retelling of a 14th century Muslim boy named Ibn Battuta and his journey to Mecca. It is more about his travels than religion. He was born in Morocco and raised as a scholar. His journey lasted 29 years and we follow him on his travels through Africa, Asia, India, and China. Old world maps are included and one shows his travels from Tangier to Beijing and back. The text is set in beautifully bordered frames, sometimes with text around the frame
Nancy
illustrations on the inside front and back covers blue and watercolor. (Illustrations throughout the book and layout well-done).

Excellent translation of Ibn Battuta's journal-makes me want to go find some longer versions, in all my free time, ha. I thought as I read, how interesting to go all those places and have all those adventures. But I also thought that would preclude a lot of the everydayness that makes life so wonderful.

Pondering some of the maxims about traveling in this book:

"Traveling
GarnerGoingsOn Library
A visual feast beginning with the end papers (the inside covers of a hardback book) which remind one of blue willow ware and illustrate key events or discoveries during Ibn Batutta's twenty-nine years of 14th C travel.

A line of text strings journal entries together like a line on a map connects cities, across and under and around illustrations rich with color and character, and lovely calligraphy, Chinese and Arabic depending on the locale. A philosophy of travel in keeping with Muslim thought
Jana Giles
I think that this would be a great introduction to writing in journals. I would love to use this story as a way to help my students think of an adventure to write about. The book is broken up into places Ibn Battuta traveled. This story has beautiful imagery and the artwork is amazing. It also has a lot of different names of middle eastern countries. That would be a great introduction to geography around the world.
Dewi Wardani
It got it today. A drawing story book. the line I like the most Traveling , it gives U a home in a thousand strange places, then leaves U a stranger in Ur own land ...
this line of ibn batutah makes me make up my mind.I'm going to stop wandering :(
Leah Koch
This historical fiction book about world traveller Ibn Battuta teaches students about discovering the world before Columbus. I especially like this book because it reads like a story and includes a lot of maps that teach students good geography skills.
Wei Si
Aug 14, 2015 Wei Si rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smg bisa buat buku utk anak2 spt ini juga ... insAllh. Open minded dperlukan bg seorang musafir.tp kbetulan juga timur selatan dunia sll lbh ramah bg musafir. ..
Rani
Experiences are the ultimate wealth of our human existence as the travels of Ibn Battuta illustrates this.
Marcy
Aug 30, 2015 Marcy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The pictures were nice. The content was dull.
Cheryl
Oct 18, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picture book is a beautifully illustrated picture book of one man's journey to Mecca. As a Christian, I appreciated this book for an explanation of the Muslims'a pilgrimage without being inundated with a lot of emphasis on the religion. It was more of a tale of the journey itself, filled with cultural imagery. The illustrations are lovely and creatively show the handwriting, animals, geography, architecture, and other elements of that time period and region.
Pearl Limbsombe
Semper(Vi)u(m) mover & shaker Ibn Battuta is a light-footed and stout hearted-traveler that I had not heard of before I read the book, "Traveling Man." I must remember he is from Morocco. This story is a victory and will be added to my classroom collection - though the formal register may at first glance intimidate the younger students. There is also a Ibn Mubaqqua who was a renowned traveler.
Rachel
love the way this book is done and how it tells the wonder of Ibn Battuta's journeys. Beautiful pics and I love the way the text winds through the page like Battuta journeyed through the world
Teri
Oct 10, 2013 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really well done book if you're looking for the story of Ibn Battuta. Our history curriculum introduced him to us, and this book is great! Not your bedtime read kind of a story.
Amy
Nov 21, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-for-kids
Read in conjunction with Story of the World, Vol. II
Nicely done. He went SO many places it was really hard to keep up with it all!
A.
May 14, 2009 A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-cover
Excellent drawings and very well constructed text.

I read it in my children's class-room during the Hajj season.

For 1-4grades
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is an historical character about whom I knew nothing until I read this book. I want to read more!
Jamelah Zidan
Jamelah Zidan marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Sohaib Awan
Sohaib Awan marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Widya
Widya marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Kat Brown
Kat Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Adam Shareef
Adam Shareef marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Aishwarya
Aishwarya marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Carson
Carson marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Jane Peterson
Jane Peterson rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Lena Salah
Lena Salah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Rizky
Rizky added it
Apr 05, 2016
Leonidas Spyroglou
Leonidas Spyroglou marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
  • Rome Antics
  • Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior
  • The Crane Wife
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • I, Galileo
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Adventures of Ibn Battuta: A Muslim Traveler of the Fourteenth Century, Revised Edition, with a New Preface
  • Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak
I have been writing, illustrating, and designing children's books since 1996. I am on the verge of self-publishing through books that are printed on demand and via the internet. For more on my children's books, see my website: http://www.jamesrumford.com. I also have a blog about writing and illustrating children's books at http://www.calabashcat.blogspot.com. Besides commercially published books, ...more
More about James Rumford...