The Cry of the Halidon

The Cry of the Halidon

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  3,070 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Alex McAuliff has received an offer he can’t refuse: two million dollars for a geological survey of Jamaica. All Dunstone Limited requires is his time, his expertise, and his absolute secrecy. No one—not even McAuliff’s handpicked team—can know of Dunstone’s involvement. But British Intelligence is aware of the deal, and they’ve let Alex in on a secret of their own: The la...more
Published November 1st 1996 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Cry of the Halidon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cry of the Halidon

PenNPaper52
This was a dark book with savage rituals and culture... in other words Ludlum tries to infuse terror of the African wild to Jamaica. Alex is a geologist who is hired to go to Jamaica to do a geological survey. Once there he discovers things are not as they appear.The last survey group sent by Dunstone, the company that has hired him, had vanished completely out of sight. He is also pegged by the British Intelligence who want him to do a little snooping for them. The Cry of the Halidon isn't the...more
Kelanth, numquam risit ubi dracones vivunt
Robert Ludlum, come già detto molte volte nelle mie precedenti recensioni è un maestro indiscusso del genere spy-story, tanto da meritarsi l'appellativo di "Mr. Plot", signor complotto. . I suoi libri sono stati tradotti in 32 lingue in oltre 40 paesi. Il totale delle vendite dei suoi libri supera i 200 milioni di copie.
È diventato celebre per la serie di romanzi The Bourne Identity ai quali sono stati vagamente ispirati tre film.

In questo libro, esce un po' dai suoi classici scenari e ci racc...more
Don Cram
If you write fiction, you should read this book. Fifth among Robert Ludlum's twenty-three thrillers, this book is a gem. The story keeps advancing, the characters are complex and interesting, and every time the reader thinks things are about to slow down there is a new worry added. That's suspense.

Stephen King has written much about the importance of writers reading. "Can I be blunt on this subject?" he wrote in On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. "If you don't have time to read, you don't have t...more
Wilkin Aves
action packed. the tale of the halidon lurking at every corner of the world is far-fetched. why? the assassination of several key figures around the world. do you think that a black man is not noticed every time an assassination occurs? the halidonites are black, and it seems to me that it is impossible that such black people are not noticed lurking before the assassinations. and how the hell alex mcaullif learned to become familiar in "spy ways" in such short notice? it's impossible, since it t...more
Charlie
Dec 12, 2010 Charlie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: spy
A couple of years ago, I lucked out and found a Barnes and Noble that was going out of business. Unfortunately, I didn't discover it until the last day, but I was able to pick up a couple hundred dollars’ worth in books.

In this lot were 20 or so Robert Ludlum books. I'm an absolute fan of that genre, so I figured what the heck. I've read a few from that stash and picked this one to read over the Thanksgiving holiday. I felt that this book started out slow, but it grew on my and it definitely ha...more
Cindy Barnett
Interesting spy story. Some language, sex, gore, murders, witchcraft. text ©1974 audio 2012
writer: Jonathan Ryder
forward by Robert Ludlum
Reader: Steven hoy (sp ?)
Jose Philip
The author has made some attempts to include more events, locations and drama into the story, which unfortunately not enough for a good ratings. The story fizzles out in the end and the whole story falls apart because most of the added drama does not contribute to the story.
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al added it
McAuliff has been given two million dollars for a geological survey of Jamaica's dark interior. All Dunstone Ltd requires is his time, his expertise, and absolute secrecy.But British Intelligence is aware of the deal, and they've let Alex in on a secret: the last survey team Dunstone despatched to Jamaica vanished without trace. For Alex, it's too late to turn back. He already knows about Dunstone - which means he knows too much.From the moment he lands in Jamaica he is a marked man. But who wan...more
Suby
This book by Rober Ludlum somehow lacks the grandiose structure that is usually associated with the author's novels.
The key elements are a multinational corporation based in London, a professional Geologist who agrees to survey an area of Jamaica for the corporation, a split tribe of runaway slaves who have founded an organization in the thick Jungles of Jamaica, their immense wealth and resources, the MI5 & MI6 involvement and a bid to take over Jamaican government gone wrong. Finally the...more
Possum Willy
It may not be his most popular book, but it's my favorite Rober Ludlum novel, and to this day I'm not sure why.
Rob
This is a book that requires ones attention. I started to read this as a side line but found I'd need to review the previous chapter to refresh myself on the story and where all the characters were at. The pace of the book was such that I finally gave up trying to read it piecemeal, and from then onwards was caught in the relentless flow of the tale. Readers should bear in mind the publication date and that this is one of Ludlum early works. I can see myself re-reading this at some point in the...more
Douglas
As a writer of fiction, it is important to me that I read the masters. Robert Ludlum’s “The Cry of the Halidon” was originally written in 1974 using the pseudonym of Jonathan Ryder and the story is just as believable in today’s world as it was back then. Reminiscent of some of Alistair McLean’s work, I’m impressed with the way Ludlum uses a well researched setting and develops his characters. He moves the action right along and you never really know who the actual good guys and the bad guys are...more
MepoInc™
This book could have been a lot better if the author didn't keep changing the use of the names of the main character. There is no pattern to when the character is referred to by his first name proper, first name or last name only. It throws the reader for a loop for a second or two to realize who the author is referring to then he switches it again. It is a real pain in the arse to keep track of and to me is a poor writing style.

The story itself is a good one and I really liked it even though i...more
Robert Mckenzie
Enjoyable if rather far fetched holiday read
Max Watson
An engaging read by Mr Ludlum
Adam Shields
Short review: A geologist is paid to survey Jamaica by a secret cabal of financiers that wants to take over the island and create their own country. MI-5 enlists him to get to the bottom of the plot.

I like some of Ludlum's books, but this is not one of his better books. It is written as a suspense book, but is not suspenseful enough and just doesn't grab you the way the Bourne books do.

My longer review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/the-cry-of-the-halid...#
Brent
This wasn't a bad book, but from the author of the Bourne trilogy, I have to admit I expected something a little better. I found the first half to two thirds of the book a little plodding as the author had to set in place a great deal of information which led to the climax. Once the action really started up it was a great story. I nearly gave it 3 stars because of the ending. But ultimately it was just ok. And I see why this was not made into a movie ;)
Odie Damaolao
It took me 3 painful weeks to realize that I am not going to finish this book... It was too slow, too predictable and too boring to be the work of Ludlum. I don't now probably it's just me but after reading the first 160 pages the pace of the story did not change but it became predictable. Definitely not going to recommend this book to my friends...

Different strokes for different folks...
Ronald Ball
This was my first Robert Ludlum book so I did not know what to expect. To me it started out very slow and a lot of characters were introduced. It was difficult at times to follow all of the characters as many were short lived, literally. The story got more interesting about midway through it and finished well. It was a bit outdated but held up well. It reminded me quite a bit of Ian Fleming.
Susan
I found it interesting that early in Robert Ludlum's career his publisher told him he would be consided a "hack" if he wrote more than one book a year. He wrote this book under the name of Jonathan Ryder for that simple reason. A good story about what people will do to gain wealth and power and what their opposition will do to protect their way of life and the country they love.
Kathryn Wilson
A fairly good read - the uncovering of mystical secrets and super-spy crimes all at the same time in an exotic location. This is an older book and really shows its age with some of the language. Didn't really love the characters in the story and in particular found the love interest a bit irritating. The plot itself had enough turns to keep life interesting however.
Balachandra
This is not so good book like other RL's books. Some plots are not explained clearly. I still didnt understand many plots.
1. Why Halidon keep quiet on Dunstone though they're aware of what's happening?
2. What British intelligence exactly wanted?
3. Why 5 defectors were sent to vanish Survey members?
4. How did first survey team disappear?
Rohit P. Enghakat
What a drag this book was !! Thought that Robert Ludlum would churn out something of his class. I was disappointed. After reading about 200 pages I was wondering whether to leave it half finished. Then I made up my mind to complete it. Finally completed it yesterday. Not recommended for Ludlum fans. They would be disappointed.
feetintheriver
Feb 28, 2013 feetintheriver rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to feetintheriver by: Picked it up in library
I read this because I loved the Bourne films and don't think I have ever read one of Ludlum's books. I will be reading more of his as this one was excellent. I was surprised to see it was written in 1975 as it hasn't aged at all, it felt really contemporary.
Paul McMeekin
This was the first Robert Ludlum book I read and probably the first "proper" espionage novel I read too. I can't actually remember too much about it I'm afraid, which makes this review more or less pointless I suppose!
Jose
Very interesting plot... with enough twists that kept me interested.

I found the "super-natural" part of the story kind of intriguing also.

Not bad for a book written in 1974... that I am reading on 2010
Rahul Reddy
the plot goes in a predictable/trodden path. it gets the attention of the reader. the description of the landscapes could have been better.
all in all we can read the book once and then forget about it.
Jamie
Set in Jamaica British intelligence uncover a plot to take over the island and build a new Corporate city. A powerful, secret and unknown group of Natives assist British intelligence on their own terms.
Rusty
Robert Ludlum is one of my favorite authors. This story is exciting, unpredictable, and fascinating. If you like this author and/or his mysteries you will enjoy this book.
Alicia
This book was completely entertaining for the first 200 pages, and then completely fell apart. The plot was very thin, major focus on action. I wouldn't recommend it.
Goodreads Librari...: Book under pseudonym and actual name, combine editions? 13 40 Oct 10, 2011 10:13PM
  • The Road To Omaha