Start by marking “The Day Diana Died” as Want to Read:
The Day Diana Died

The Day Diana Died

A year after Princess Diana's tragic death in 1997, shocking revelations about her passing have surfaced via eyewitness testimony. From the nurse who covered her naked, lifeless body and who answered the queen's immediate query of "where are the jewels?" to the off-duty paramedic who held Diana's head in his hands, The Day Diana Died leaves no sacred rock unturned. What wa ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Blake Publishing (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Diana Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Diana Died

Caidyn
For anyone who knows anything about Princess Diana's death, this won't be any new information, I'm sure. If you followed the story and read it and were interested, then it's nothing new. Not only that, but it's a very misleading title. It's not so much about the day she died, but giving pieces of information of the day she died, then backtracking to explain stuff beforehand. About Diana, her relationship with the Royal family, Dodi and his life, the driver. Really, it's nothing new. Nothing shoc ...more
Neal
Feb 25, 2012 Neal rated it really liked it
Got some new information reading this account of the end of Diana's life. Put to rest the idea that she might have married Dodi. I had no idea their driver was abusing drugs and alcohol. On the whole, this tragedy could have been so easily prevented. Still cannot quite believe she's dead. True, she wasn't perfect, but I loved Diana for her humanism, beauty, style and even her flaws all the same.
Tamara
If I'm being completely honest, this is a book I never intended to read. Never. Mostly because I guessed - rightfully, as it turned out - that it would break my heart. Despite the fact that my current mood (as in, for the past three weeks) has been to read, voraciously, anything about the late Princess of Wales on which I can get my hands, my instinct for self-preservation told me to pass over this book when I saw it on the royal(s) shelf at the library. But then, another book in my queue to rea ...more
Michael
Nov 19, 2007 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, royalty
While it is an entertaining book, I am skeptical of its accuracy.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: NOT Diana fans.
I was so, so sorry I read this. This book is chock full of lurid detail and poignant, pitiful, heart-wrenching descriptions. The worst part is the immediate aftermath of the crash. I do understand that her injury (aorta ripped from chest wall) would probably have been fatal even if she had been urgently rushed to a Level I trauma center within minutes. Or even if an operating room had been available on the spot. I know this. Yet it took them HOW long to get her to a hospital less than a mile awa ...more
Samantha
Aug 25, 2011 Samantha rated it liked it
Alright, I admit, this is one of those little pieces of literary genius that you slip between your incredibly intelligent literary choices (okay, who are we kidding...just less sensational literary choices) and hope you don't get "the eyebrow". You know the eyebrow. It's the momentary raising of the librarian's eyebrow while glancing at you as if to say "Really, lady?" You run out of the library and of course you use the book drop to check it back in instead of standing at the counter.

ANYWAY, ba
Tami Urbanek
Apr 21, 2014 Tami Urbanek rated it it was amazing
What an amazing look at the real life of a otherwise private group of people.. I was quite touched to see at least at the end of her life Charles fought for her right to be treated with the respect she deserved.I do believe he loved her and held her in great respect, for being the mother and person she was, and I dont doubt if he would have been allowed to marry Camilla back then he would have.. I dont think he ever intended to hurt Diana I believe that was all his mothers doing...I was SOO angr ...more
Lady
Feb 06, 2011 Lady rated it it was amazing
Shelves: used-to-own, diana, royals
A well-researched book about one of the most famous women of all time. Given that there are conspiracy theories aplenty about the day Diana died, there may be some inaccuracies in the book, but they are not the fault of the author if they are within the pages of his book. He put his nose to the grindstone and did his research. With that rare talent of showing instead of telling, he uses the information he unearthed to draw the reader into the life and death of the 20th century's most famous prin ...more
Danica Ong
Apr 04, 2014 Danica Ong rated it it was amazing
Christopher Andersen provided an in-depth narration of what transpired during Diana's last weeks. I have been reading many articles regarding the Princess of Whales and I thought I knew what was there to know. But this book was able to give me very accurate events and details that I have not read elsewhere. This book is so informative that it leaves room for me to doubt its accuracy, though.
Melissa
Apr 11, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
I am not even sure how many years ago I read this, whenever it came out I am sure. I am obsessed with reading these things. To put yourself in a time and a place in a life that is so public. This was written well, as was the others I have read by him.
Diana
Nov 17, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Such a sad tale.
Elizabeth
Dec 14, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Just like every little girl I sat mesmerized in front of my tv that beautiful day in 1981 when I saw a real life fairytale unfolding. Diana was a true beauty. We watched her grow in front of our eyes as a young woman into a mother and then into a outspoken individual.

Once again I sat mesmerized on the day of her funeral. I cried my eyes. I watched in disbelief.

This book gave you an insight of her life through the years. I enjoyed it. I learned some stuff about the accident and her relationship
Stacey
Dec 19, 2014 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember that hot August night like it was yesterday. I was in Boston visiting my sister and it stunned us when we heard the news: Princess Diana had been in a car crash. At first there were rumors that she walked away uninjured but shortly thereafter the real reports flooded in. She was gone.

I can't explain my fascination with Diana; I have always been enamored with her. But then, I think we all were. This book is a well written, heart wrenching account of the months leading up to her death.
Ashley Ersek
Mar 09, 2014 Ashley Ersek rated it it was amazing
I chose to read a biography on Diana, the Princess of Wales. I really enjoyed the way the book was written. I liked how the author began in chapter one with the day of the car crash and included all of the details from who Diana's nurses were to which room she stayed in at the hospital, and then flashed back to the days leading up to this horrific accident. I felt like that have the reader a look at Diana's real life and showed who she truly was. I liked reading about Princess Diana because it m ...more
Apuii Sailo
Nov 17, 2015 Apuii Sailo rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was 11 or 12 I'm not sure. I remember crying alone as I read the book. It was among the first few book which actually made me cry at a young age. Ever since, I admired Lady Diana and I would stare at her beautiful face on the cover for hours and think what a devastating and heartbreaking way for our English Rose to die. I was born in the year she died, I might've been 5 months at that time and though I never got to see her live on screens, she had this grace that makes pe ...more
Cierra
Jul 21, 2015 Cierra rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book because I love princess Diana and all she stood for as a woman. This book really does her justice and lays it all out (what she went through with her highly publicized marriage and all that). It also highlights what an amazing mother she was and I think that's so important to know. It was sad of course because it talks a great deal about the impact of her death in detail, though overall it was very intriguing. I recommend it for anyone interested about The people's princ ...more
Maura
Mar 06, 2014 Maura added it
Heartbreaking. True Diana admirers and history buffs will want to read this, but keep the tissues handy, and be prepared to read a bit and have to put it down because you just can't believe the tragic story you are reading. One major item made an impact on me, it seems Charles only realized how horribly he treated her, and how much he still cared, when he went to get Diana's body in Paris. Sometimes we don't know what we have until it's gone. RIP Diana.
Priyanka Tandon
Mar 31, 2014 Priyanka Tandon rated it really liked it
A nice and easy read. The author adopts a softer tone for everyone (including Prince Charles) except for the Queen. As the title suggest, the book focuses on her death, a few details about her relationship with Dodi and the reaction of various members of the Royal Family.
The tone of the book is simple but not overly emotional. A good addition if one is reading a few books about Diana's life and death.
Dana Weiczman
Oct 09, 2015 Dana Weiczman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I will ever 100% get over Diana's death. I always thought she and I would "grow old together" and that I would always be reading about her in the media. Until that day.

It just occurred to me that the night Diana was killed, she had been at the Ritz Hotel in Paris. That same night, I was at the Ritz Movie Theater in New Jersey. I got a jolt when I thought of that, all these years later.
Mariann
Apr 02, 2014 Mariann rated it really liked it
This book was a very hard read for me. Several times I had to stop reading it because it was breaking my heart. I admire and adore this woman and has always been my hero and inspiration to get through difficult times in my life. And to learn how she died and what occurred the hours after he death was heart wrenching.
Pauline Barlow
Oct 26, 2016 Pauline Barlow rated it it was amazing
Christopher Andersen has written a very informative account of the day Princess Diana died and the days leading up to it. He talks about the various theories of how and why she died. the reactions of Prince Charles and his mother were very interesting.
Andersen selected great photos to go with her story.
I'm glad I read this book.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
I finished this book yesterday actually. I was surprised at some of the details surrounding the accident and the aftermath. I was surprised to learn how long it took emergency services to transport the victims from the scene of the crash to the hospital. I'm glad I read this book.
Sam
Aug 03, 2010 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it gave so many details about the accident, how long everything took, it was all so tragic- it was hard to remember it was all real, and it really happened to an actual person...it was so insane that it seemed false at times.
Oct 27, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not sure how much is speculation and how much is fact but it was interesting to know some background of the royal family and how unfeeling the Queen is/was then. I liked reading about the differences in the American and British cultures.
Bronwyn
May 23, 2009 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
about the days leading up to the accident that killed her, and the aftermath in the days and hours after her death and the peoples reactions
Shannon
Sep 19, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
Well written account of what I had heard happened but it brought lots of memories flooding back from long ago. Still miss Princess Diana. Should would have been the best grandmother.
Divya Gonnabathula
Aug 18, 2014 Divya Gonnabathula rated it really liked it
In love with the princess, but this book does nothing to increase my love! Liked who killed Diana more than this one. Not a very extensively researched book
Marianne Jay
Jun 29, 2012 Marianne Jay rated it it was amazing
Like the rest of the world, I too, was riveted by the Princess Diana story. This book was amazing.

Do I think it was a conspiracy? Yeah, it could happen.
Jane Gardner
Nov 09, 2012 Jane Gardner rated it it was amazing
I've always been fascinated by royalty, and Diana was my favorite royal. This book was absolutely riveting. A very thorough and touching look at that day I will never forget.
  • Diana: Story of a Princess
  • William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls
  • Philip and Elizabeth: Portrait of a Royal Marriage
  • Rebel: The Life and Legend of James Dean
  • My Story
  • A Woman Named Jackie: An Intimate Biography of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated's P
More about Christopher Andersen...