Start by marking “The Painted Garden” as Want to Read:
The Painted Garden

The Painted Garden

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This beautifully illustrated personal sketchbook, new to our Courage line of lavish gift books, will be catnip for any gardener. (Previous titles featuring Mary Woodin’s vibrant watercolor images have sold more than 300,000 copies.) THE PAINTED GARDEN is a collection of intimate musings, thoughtful philosophies, and touching artwork, with space for recording planting, harv ...more
Published April 6th 2005 by Running Press (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Painted Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Painted Garden

Bonny
This is a gem of a book! I picked it up in Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia last week. It is a gardener's painted journal in which Mary Woodin, an avid gardener in England, describes her year in her garden. It is lavishly illustrated with watercolour paintings and vignettes.

She offers tips about growing certain plants together, sprinkels quotes throughout the book and there's even some poetry. Anything and everything that crosses her path and is related to gardening gets put in.

I'm not a gardener - b
Dina Benedetto
I look at it when I need a big smile. Mary Woodin's handwritten personal watercolor Naturalist Journal is a treat for anyone who loves something that is real.
Joanne
Such a lovely book. I found it in a remainders bin and bought it just for the paintings, then, joy of joys, the recipes are wonderful, too. Such a find. I could just read it like a novel.
Rachel
This book is very beautiful and fun to read. The watercolors are enviable. Mrs. Woodin has collected quotes from gardening books and garden-related journals through the centuries, which seem to comprise nearly half the text. I hope books I write and draw can be as aesthetically sound as this one.
Blair
A beautiful, inspiring and uplifting book, full of glorious watercolour illustrations, that made me want to a) acquire a garden of my own and b) start drawing and painting flowers. My only complaint is that the handwriting-style font was sometimes hard to read.
Kristi
simply lovely.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 19, 2014
Marisa Welch
Marisa Welch marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Melrose
Melrose marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Maggi Mcaloney
Maggi Mcaloney marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2013
Mara
Mara marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2011
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2011
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011
PH
PH added it
Oct 20, 2011
The Painted Garden Cookbook: An Illustrated Collection of Homegrown Recipes Cherry Blossom Garden Perpetual Calendar Cherry Blossom Garden Book of Labels Mary Woodin Kitchen Sticky Notes The Painted Garden Deluxe Folio