Start by marking “Day of the Dead” as Want to Read:
Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  18 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Introduces the holiday, Day of the Dead, or D ia de los Muertos, and describes how it is celebrated in Mexico and in the United States.
Published January 1st 2004 by Carolrhoda Books (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Day of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of the Dead

Bethe
Lots of information about the holiday, presented in chronological order, with some new facts I haven't come across during this unit. Wish the Spanish words in the text were in bold or italics to make them stand out. Pronunciations and definitions in the back.
Sarai
Feb 23, 2010 Sarai rated it really liked it
This book discusses various aspects of the D'a de los Muertos holiday. The author explains that the celebrations are used as a way to honor the dead, and how it is all a part of the cycle of life.

I checked this out because I decided I needed to know a little bit more about the holiday, since we have programs to celebrate it at the library. The book was very easy to read and understand, though I still find all the skeleton pieces of the holiday to be a bit ghoulish. :)

Amazon rated for kindergarte
Nancy Schroeder
This book introduces the Day of the Dead, or Dia de los Muertos as it's called in Spanish. In addition to giving an explanation behind the tradition, it outlines some activities done on each day of the 3-day celebration in Mexico and other places in North America.
Patricia
Oct 25, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent resource for Spanish teachers! Even though this is a translation, it is well written, clear, age-appropriate for children, and the illustrations are sweet and very helpful. This is one for me to buy for my personal library and use yearly!
Eva
This book says so much about el dia de los muertos but in such a child-friendly way that I can read it to my four year olds. I love the way the Lowery provides the historical connection to the celebration. Excellent work!
Jeanette
Mar 01, 2008 Jeanette added it
Recommends it for: Kids
I checked this out from the library to get ideas for our wedding since it's going to be Dia de los Muertos. I had no clue this was a kids book. It was still informative with a lot of cool pictures and a cute story.
Christian Padgett
Apr 10, 2011 Christian Padgett rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween, holidays
This book does a great job of explaining what Day of the Dead is. It goes into detail about this history of the holiday and the purpose. Furthermore, it describes what occurs during the holiday.
S10_Kelly
Jul 17, 2010 S10_Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: latina-o
This book takes the reader throught the 3 day traditions and customs for The Day of the Dead.
Kylie Peake
Kylie Peake is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Cheung Sandy
Cheung Sandy is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2015
Abby
Abby added it
Feb 22, 2016
kathy gaytan
kathy gaytan rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Phyllis Webb
Phyllis Webb rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Natalie O
Natalie O rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Xyaire Hartwell
Xyaire Hartwell marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Telles Familia
Telles Familia rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2014
Turtlesoup
Turtlesoup rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Aug 21, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2013
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Brown Nguyen
Brown Nguyen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013