Presidential Doodles: Two Centuries of Scribbles, Scratches, Squiggles, and Scrawls from the Oval Office squiggles & scrawls from the Oval Office

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What were the leaders of the free world really doing during all those meetings? As the creators of Cabinet magazine reveal here for the first time, they were doodling. Our Founding Fathers doodled, and so did Andrew Jackson. Benjamin Harrison accomplished almost nothing during his time in the White House, but he left behind some impressive doodles. During the twentieth cen...more
Published September 25th 2006 by Basic Books

Ram
There were not as many doodles in this book as I was expecting -- and several of the really nice ones from the cover were actually probably drawn by a British diplomat on a White House sleepover. It stands to reason that we would be missing idle scratches from early presidents, as it is too labor-intensive to dip a quill pen just to make a doodle; perhaps the editors should have looked for a JQA scrimshaw?

There are 2 great lessons to be drawn from this compilation: 1. Ronald Reagan was a mush-br...more
Julie
Wow - I have been running around, recommending this book to anyone owning the slightest bit of natural curiosity. You are absolutely bound to find something to fascinate you, be it the squishy squashy love letters from Ronnie to Nancy, or the fact that Herbert Hoover's abstract doodles were made into fabric used in children's clothing. For my husband, I showed him the poignant picture JFK drew of his sailboat . . . look it up for yourselves.

Astri
I spent most of my high school and college life doodling on my assignments and notes during class, much to the dismay of my teachers, so this book struck a bit of chord with me. Actually, I spent a good 10 minutes giggling over it. Theodore Roosevelt's depiction of a child being mauled by a wild cat is absolutely hilarious.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book is a lot of fun. It shows pages of doodles from the Presidents. It's interesting to see what some of them drew. Herbert Hoover drew intricate geometric designs, pulling on his time as an engineer. George Washington enjoyed practicing letters. John Kennedy like writing words like communism and cheese.
Sort of what you'd expect. Some of the doodles are funny/noteworthy, and a few of the captions put them in interesting context. Most of the time, though, I felt the authors were overreaching in their interpretations of why particular things may have been drawn--sometimes a doodle is just a doodle!
Amber
My favorite doodles are the ones from Ronald Reagan. The cowboys doodles are the best. This book was interesting because it give you a history lesson about the presidents and the doodles.

Tracie
Oct 25, 2007 Tracie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
My all time favorite doodle in this book is a love note from Ronald Reagan to Nancy, wherein he refers to her as "Poo Pants". It's cool, Nancy, it happens to the best of us.
Megan
The photos were brilliant! Five stars for them! But the writing style was a bit unpleasant at places.
Julie
Really cool!!! I never knew that Ronald Regan wanted to be a cartoonist and could draw so well.
Aaron
Hoover designed kids cloths, what more do you want from a book?
Doug Mcquirter
Quite cutesy. Indulgent and full of empty calories.
Nathan
Jun 03, 2007 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Americans and their apologists
LBJ = life of the party.
drazz
Kirk T
Kirk T added it
May 17, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Meghan James
Meghan James marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Ll
Ll marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Lucky Teapot
Lucky Teapot marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Presidential Doodles: Two Centuries of Scribbles, Scratches, Squiggles, and Scrawls from the Oval Office Squiggles & Scraw Presidential Doodles: Two Centuries of Scribbles, Scratches, Squiggles, and Scrawls from the Oval Office squiggles & scraw