Start by marking “Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach” as Want to Read:
Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach

Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
This is an introduction to the structure of sentences in human languages. It assumes no prior knowledge of linguistic theory and little of elementary grammar. It will suit students coming to syntactic theory for the first time either as graduates or undergraduates. It will also be useful for those in fields such as computational science, artificial intelligence, or cogniti ...more
Published May 29th 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Core Syntax, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Core Syntax

AJ A
Jan 03, 2012 AJ A rated it liked it
Core Syntax by David Adger is an interesting book, especially, for those who lack a solid background in syntax theory. It is based on the minimalist approach that is proposed by Noam Chomsky. There are three basic notions on which the author based his Core Syntax: theory, analysis, and data. Therefore, he presents these three significant elements lucidly throughout his textbook.

This textbook has ten chapters. In the first chapter, the author introduces some main concepts of linguistics. Then, in
Verena
Jun 15, 2016 Verena rated it liked it
This book was taught to me in my undergraduate linguistics class and as far as my interest in syntax goes it was way to much to even comprehend. I can only tell from my experience but it is definitely not suited for beginners in this field of studies. There are a lot of examples from sometimes rather exotic languages and the variety of contradictions was confusing. At least it contains summaries of every chapter to convey the general ideas. If studied in detail and with due diligence, the book c ...more
Hamideh Mohammadi
Jan 16, 2014 Hamideh Mohammadi rated it liked it
Shelves: language, linguistics
Good book to start learning about generative grammar. Only for starters; not professionals.
Rachel
Apr 19, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Recommended to Rachel by: professors
This book might be too ambitious for most people: it tries to teach the basics of syntax and theory-building all at once, and it wasn't entirely successful with either. Adger does not always explain concepts adequately or clearly, and I found it much more difficult to learn the material without a professor to explain exactly what was going on.
André
May 25, 2008 André rated it it was ok
Recommended to André by: Gereon Müller
Shelves: linguistics
I really dislike Syntax and this book didn't change my attitude. It wasn't that badly written, but I don't think it was particularly easy either... I'd also like to add that I own this book as a copy, not as the book itself.
Nathan Glenn
May 06, 2013 Nathan Glenn rated it really liked it
Great content, but easy to get lost. This will definitely require 3-10 reads to be well understood by me.
Moose
Jul 30, 2011 Moose rated it liked it
A little harder of read for just a simple review, however I found it interesting and helpful.
Sara
Dec 04, 2014 Sara rated it it was ok
Shelves: linguistics
It's not the worst textbook I've had for linguistics, and I've had some bad ones.
Xiaozhou Zhang
Jun 29, 2013 Xiaozhou Zhang rated it liked it
A good introduction to Minimalism, but confusing now and then.
People say my name should be Jeff
Great intro to Minimalism.
Charles Liang
Charles Liang marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Aida
Aida added it
Jul 17, 2016
Ugochi
Ugochi rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2016
Alecia
Alecia rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Kabiyesi Kabiyesi
Kabiyesi Kabiyesi marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Nah I
Nah I marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Accountan Majeed
Accountan Majeed marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
F.
F. marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Taylor Hermerding
Taylor Hermerding rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Waqar Amin
Waqar Amin marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Hassan
Hassan marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Jonathan Burns
Jonathan Burns rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Martin Stanley
Martin Stanley marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Majid
Majid marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
OANA ZAHARIE
OANA ZAHARIE marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Shahla
Shahla is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2015
Juman Albukhari
Juman Albukhari is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2015
Jacob Burdis
Jacob Burdis rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Safina
Safina marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015