Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach

Core Syntax: A Minimalist Approach

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This is an introduction to the structure of sentences in human languages. It assumes no prior knowledge of linguistic theory and little of elementary grammar. It will suit students coming to syntactic theory for the first time either as graduates or undergraduates. It will also be useful for those in fields such as computational science, artificial intelligence, or cogniti...more
Published May 29th 2003 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Core Syntax, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Core Syntax

AJ ahmary
Core Syntax by David Adger is an interesting book, especially, for those who lack a solid background in syntax theory. It is based on the minimalist approach that is proposed by Noam Chomsky. There are three basic notions on which the author based his Core Syntax: theory, analysis, and data. Therefore, he presents these three significant elements lucidly throughout his textbook.

This textbook has ten chapters. In the first chapter, the author introduces some main concepts of linguistics. Then, in...more
Hamideh Mohammadi
Good book to start learning about generative grammar. Only for starters; not professionals.
Rachel
Apr 19, 2013 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rachel by: professors
This book might be too ambitious for most people: it tries to teach the basics of syntax and theory-building all at once, and it wasn't entirely successful with either. Adger does not always explain concepts adequately or clearly, and I found it much more difficult to learn the material without a professor to explain exactly what was going on.
André
May 25, 2008 André rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to André by: Gereon Müller
Shelves: linguistics
I really dislike Syntax and this book didn't change my attitude. It wasn't that badly written, but I don't think it was particularly easy either... I'd also like to add that I own this book as a copy, not as the book itself.
Nathan Glenn
Great content, but easy to get lost. This will definitely require 3-10 reads to be well understood by me.
Irina
A little harder of read for just a simple review, however I found it interesting and helpful.
Sara
It's not the worst textbook I've had for linguistics, and I've had some bad ones.
Xiaozhou Zhang
A good introduction to Minimalism, but confusing now and then.
Milos Stanojevic
Milos Stanojevic marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Hossein
Hossein marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Jacci
Jacci added it
Aug 04, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Hu997
Hu997 marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine is currently reading it
May 01, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Phi Theory: Phi-Features Across Modules and Interfaces Mirrors and Microparameters: Phrase Structure Beyond Free Word Order A Syntax of Substance Peripheries: Syntactic Edges And Their Effects (Studies In Natural Language And Linguistic Theory) Specifiers: Minimalist Approaches