Start by marking “The Five Jars” as Want to Read:
The Five Jars

The Five Jars

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  19 reviews

Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), who published under the byline M. R. James, was a noted medieval scholar and provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905-1918) and of Eton College (1918-1936), best remembered today for his ghost stories in the classic Victorian Yuletide vein. He is most widely known for his ghost stories, but as a medieval scholar his output was phenomena

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Jars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Jars

Oscar
El erudito Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), pese a ser un arqueólogo y académico de prestigio, preboste en Eaton y vinculado a la universidad de Cambridge, siempre será recordado por sus cuentos de fantasmas, en los que marcó un antes y un después. Inédita hasta ahora en español, nos llega ‘Los cinco frascos’, pequeña novela infantil de fantasía concebida para su pupila de doce años Jane McBryde.

‘Los cinco frascos’ (The Five Jars, 1922) comienza con un paseo, en el que el protagonista, el prop
Elii Vela

Un hombre decide seguir el ruido que causan las aguas del río y entonces descubre una caja que contiene cinco frascos. Cada frasco tiene magiaque le otorgará poderes gracias a los cuales descubrirá maravillas inimaginables. Sin embargo no todo es miel sobre hojuelas y tendrá que vérselas con criaturas que desean conseguir esos poderes.

En lo personal, este tipo de libros no van conmigo pero me sentía un poco decidida a cambiar de rumbos y dejar la pastelosidad de las novelas de romance (cómo s

Jen
I'm not sure what I think of this book so far. I'll keep reading and let you know.

I'm really not sure what my thoughts were about this book. It was really an odd book. I'm going to have to think about this one and get back to my review.

After giving this much thought I liked the book, it was odd and didn't really make much sense, but it was an enjoyable read none the less. I can't really explain this book anymore then a man finds a locked box containing 5 jars. He opens one jar a night and puts t
Mike
M.R. James is most famous for his ghost stories, some of which are pretty brutal, but this short novel is a relatively quaint fairy story for young readers (the vocabulary is probably a little high to call this a children's book, by modern standards, but in 1920 when he wrote it this was normal).
It starts out very slowly, and James' very detailed descriptions of things make the story seem longer than it is, but the slowly building tension is effective even though the peril is unclear.
Anyway the
Lola
This was a very wild read.
Ian
A rather peculiar book, ostensibly for children, by M.R. James, one of the great horror writers of the early 20th century. His short stories, such as "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" and "Casting the Runes" (the latter was later made into the excellent horror film, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, by Jacques Tourneur), have influenced everyone from H.P. Lovecraft to Stephen King, and he's generally credited with freeing the traditional ghost story from its musty Gothic trappings and bringing it into ...more
Babe Rainbow
Fucking insane, but weirdly comforting?
Alexis Steven
Una historia infantil con gran creatividad e imaginación.
Con una narración perfecta y personajes interesantes.
Deb
Odd, intriguing, short, different--all enticements to read an M R James fantasy. Such novel revelations: Old horseshoes, when touched by the evil creatures, force these beings to "go over all the ground that the shoe went over since it was last in the blacksmith's hands"; and to stop seeing horrible visions from the past (seeing visions from the past was one jar's gift), shut your eyes from below--"that meant pushing up the lower eyelids--". Sprinkled throughout are these same type tidbits.
Chris
While lacking the spookiness of his other work, The Five Jars is a good M.R. James story. It concerns a man who finds a magic plant, then a magic box, and then magic jars that allow him to see the other world of fairies, gnomes, and such. The jars are desired by those who should not have them. Part of the story lies in James' use of animal discussion and part in the fact that he doesn't feel the need to explain everything.
Particle_Person
A very peculiar fantasy story that reminded me a lot of Edward Eager's children's books. The whimsical-yet-creepy atmosphere is similar to books like Eager's "Seven Day Magic." This is not as good, though, because the story doesn't have a strong enough plot to use all the magic to good effect. It ends very abruptly and I was left thinking, "Huh, that's it?" It was engrossing, however, and I was never bored.
Mary
This book is really cute. Not much happens, but it doesn't happen much in a charming way. Not ghosty at all, which is not what you'd expect from M. R., but kind of adorable elfin and animal chatting. Of course, his best bits are writing elfy "schoolboys," who he understands perfectly. A nice youths' book.
Timothy Ferguson
A light children's story from a master of horror fiction. Not his finest work, but readable.
grey1066
Interesting. Not his best work, but a nice deviation somewhat from "straight" horror. I also kind of like how it ended vaguely, without really explaining what the evil thing was.
Sem
He didn't quite pull it off but there were some fine moments. A collection of intriguing ideas and amusing dialogue held together by a thinnish plot.
Jan
Odd little fairy story written in 1922. I read it because it was free on Kindle and it sounded intriguing. Fast read.

Weird little fantasy novel by one of the English language's best ghost story writers. Very good!
Steven
A silly book; a meandering fantasy. I did not enjoy it. Also, I would not want a child to read this.
Mike F
Quick, enjoyable read.

Not typical M.R. James, but very clever and well done.
Jp
Jp added it
Dec 27, 2014
Francisco J.
Francisco J. is currently reading it
Dec 22, 2014
Elizabeth Smith
Elizabeth Smith marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Bernard
Bernard marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Montague Rhodes James, who used the publication name M.R. James, was a noted British mediaeval scholar & provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905–18) & of Eton College (1918–36). He's best remembered for his ghost stories which are widely regarded as among the finest in English literature. One of James' most important achievements was to redefine the ghost story for the new century by di ...more
More about M.R. James...
Collected Ghost Stories Ghost Stories of an Antiquary Count Magnus and Other Ghost Stories Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories More Ghost Stories of an Antiquary