Start by marking “B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC” as Want to Read:
B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC

B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC

Get ready for a ride through the alphabet at a busy construction site. There's a big yellow Bulldozer, a tall shiny Crane, and a rusty red Dump truck--and the construction crew is hard at work. But what are they building?
Melissa Iwai's bright, bold illustrations perfectly complement June Sobel's irresistible rhyming text. Join the excitement as the workers build, scoop, a
Published May 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about B Is for Bulldozer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B Is for Bulldozer

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonGoodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site by Sherri Duskey RinkerI'm Dirty! by Kate McMullanI Love Trucks! by Philemon SturgesTip Tip Dig Dig by Emma Garcia
Picture Books about Construction Vehicles
24th out of 83 books — 18 voters
Planting ABC in a Garden of Memory by James McDonaldShiver Me Letters by June SobelABC with Fairy Tale Characters by Merrily HomeFunny Animals Alphabet Book by Merrily HomeAlphabet Picnic by Jeri Flack
Preschool-ABC books
3rd out of 17 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Alley Denney
Sep 13, 2012 Alley Denney rated it liked it
This is a very cute book for very young students. Early Childhood teachers would enjoy reading this to their students because it incorporates a fun story while teaching them their alphabet. This book is definitely only appropriate for younger students.
Rosa
Nov 26, 2012 Rosa rated it liked it
Describes the construction of a theme park, each action undertaken starts with a different letter of the alphabet. Unlike many alphabet books the letter is not showcased beyond being slightly bolded. Can't decide whether to use this for my story time or not.
H
Apr 22, 2015 H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
It rhymes (REAL rhymes). It's construction and the alphabet. Caught toddler's attention immediately.
Stephanie  Weatherly
My kids love this book. Cute story using the alphabet about the construction of an amusement park.
Courtney Stempinski
Oct 13, 2016 Courtney Stempinski rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Throughout the book, the construction and opening of an amusement park is shown. With each page and each stage, there is an object associated with the alphabet. Letters are associated with bulldozers, "zoooom", etc.

I didn't think that this book was super exciting, but would be a good book for reviewing the alphabet. After reading each passage, you could have students practice the letter sound with you then repeat the object in the book that was associated with it.
Lindsay Monson
This book uses words in construction in relation to the alphabet. It keeps kids engaged the whole time when going through each page. Kids can learn the alphabet from this book. Kids could also learn about the types of jobs that are found in our society. They could research a job and explain what they do in that field.
Samantha
Oct 13, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun spin on a Alphabet learning book. Each letter stands for an aspect of the construction world. For example: I is for I-beam. Constructing knowledge through a picture book and rhyming, would be fun for a construction theme, a rhyming unit, or alphabet learning.
Andrea
This book is about the construction process of building an amusement park. Along with showing the process it also points out the alphabet along the way. This book is much different than standard alphabet books. I would use this in the classroom to point out the alphabet and sound the letters along the way.
Christaia Houser
This book is an alphabet book based in a construction site. I would use this book in a classroom of younger grades when focusing on the alphabet. Kids could stop and write each letter as we encounter it or it could be used as an introduction to a lesson.
David
Mar 09, 2012 David rated it really liked it
B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC by June Sobel, illustrated by Melissa Iwai, follows the progress as an amusement park is built.

Iwai's bright illustrations were done in acrylic on board. Seasons are shown as the park rises. The overhead view of the park is effective. My favorite images include asphalt & bulldozer, grader & hard hat, ka-boom & loader, scaffolds & tools, and the last two images.

This is a clever concept combining construction and an amusement park.
I like tha
Sarah Nolet
Oct 29, 2012 Sarah Nolet rated it it was amazing
B is for Bulldozer is an ABC book that depicts the construction of an amusement park called “Wonderland.” The book describes the process from start to finish as the park goes from paving the asphalt to when the work is done. The story uses the alphabet as a way to describe what is happening in the construction process. Each letter describes a process or event that happens as the story unfolds. For example, the letter L is used to describe how the “huge Loader scoops dirt from the ground (Sobel, ...more
Jennifer Heise
Oct 24, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trucks, beekman, alphabet
Construction Equipment! Trucks! A theme park! Of course my son was going to like this. The soft, rounded but realistic illustrations are reminiscent of Roadwork, that classic rhyming construction text, though pieces have been left out of this construction to make it an alphabet book. My son especially likes the last page, with "ZOOM!" as the culmination. The rhyme and rhythm were not at all hard on the parental reader.
This book falls somewhere between Bang! Boom! Roar! a busy crew of dinosaurs!
Elle Markov
Apr 27, 2015 Elle Markov rated it really liked it
This is a nice ABC's book, it's more oriented towards pre-K to kindergarden. The ABC's are covered with construction machines and sites.

Now, any child can read this book, but the reason I'm going to say it's aimed towards boys is because when I read it to children, the girls always say it's a boys book.

Overall, the book the light, bright coloring is engaging and fun to children.

Rating 4 out of 5
Read@Book
Rosa Cline
Apr 16, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This story was very well written in a way where the alphabet is highlighted through the story. Each phrase is written in semi rhyme so reading out loud the story goes smoothly. My special needs teenage son loves trucks, construction vehicles, and stuff like that and he really enjoyed this mostly the pictures since the storyline was so simple but he still enjoyed it all in all. and it was nice to read out loud.
Laura Shavers
Aug 20, 2014 Laura Shavers rated it it was amazing
We read this tonight as one of our bedtime stories! I liked this book and how each page focused on a letter of the alphabet. It made the book more interactive with my son because I had him point out the letter and the corresponding picture with that letter! He got it from his school library and I might just get it for our home collection.
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
What kid doesn't love big machines? I've never met one who wasn't fascinated by bulldozers, cranes, cement mixers, or the like - male or female. This ABC book plays on this fondness children have for construction equipment, a very smart premise, I think. This isn't a beautiful book, but it is effective.
Ricky Francis
Oct 10, 2011 Ricky Francis rated it liked it
A really good ABC book. Nothing super speacial but it was amazing that they had a piece of construction equipment for every letter of the alphabet and I can imagine boys especially liking this book a lot.
The Brothers
A nice alphabet book centering around construction on an amusement park. Dex (2 years old) really liked it and even Asher (4 years old) enjoyed it - even though alphabet books are a bit "young" for him now.

Fun and interesting illustrations.
Amanda
Oct 18, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This was a fun alphabet book that went through the construction of an amusement park. Nice art and good representation of different machines and worksite words, but not something that will help with everyday reading. Overall good, but not a favorite necessarily.
Emerson and Theodore
May 05, 2013 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-books
We should buy this book. A group of children watch the construction site all year long as the amusement park is built. It take the workers through all the seasons and covers all the letters of the alphabet. Very good story, good art, good trucks.
Logan Walker
I used this during an intervention with a student in kindergarten. This is a great book for very young students. Early childhood teachers would enjoy reading this to their students because it incorporates a fun story while teaching them their alphabet. This is great for BOYS.
Janet
Dec 30, 2015 Janet rated it really liked it
A good ABC book that actually has a story thread and one that children will like. The text is easily rhymed and not forced. Although it is copyrighted in 2003 this title is still good for today's child.
Dia
Nov 19, 2008 Dia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads to children
Shelves: children-books
I got this book for my girls ages 3 and 2 because they enjoyed watching our neighbor work with a back hoe. They like this book and I do too. The rhyming story alphabetically tells of construction of a theme park. It takes a year and you can see the seasons change.
Libby
Jul 19, 2010 Libby rated it really liked it
My 22-mo-old son really likes this book- no surprise as he is enthralled by tools and vehicles right now. The words are a poem- something I wouldn't have guessed by the title- and it's neat that all the things talked about come together to make an amusement park.
Amy
Sep 12, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute alphabet book focused on the construction of a new amusement park. Led to watching many roller coaster videos on YouTube.
Michelle Nero
Jul 19, 2013 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
I was quite surprised by this pick! My girls are into bulldozers and excavators, so this book caught their eyes. A fun ABC book that follows the progress of building an amusement park.
Aug 13, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
This book goes through the finishing days on a construction site. While it does so it goes through the alphabet. It is inventive and would hold any boys' interest.
Kristie
Tools and construction equipment for every letter of the alphabet. Good for toddlers and preschoolers.
Samantha
An alphabet story that uses construction equipment to represent the 26 letters and results in a brand new rollercoaster! Acrylic illustrations. Good read aloud. PreK-2.
Ebookwormy
Jul 19, 2008 Ebookwormy rated it it was amazing
My son LOVES this book and requests it over and over again. I would like to buy it, as I sense it is on it's way to becoming a family classic.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I Love Trains!
  • Old Black Fly
  • Too Many Dinosaurs
  • Togo
June Sobel was born in New York City and grew up in the Long Island suburb of Oceanside, New York. She graduated Skidmore College and has an MFA in Painting from Stanford University. The birth of her son renewed her interest in the read aloud magic of picture books. June loves the challenge of creating books that awaken the wonder of words and pictures in children as well as keep the child alive ...more
More about June Sobel...