Start by marking “Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys: True Tales of Love, Lust, and Friendship Between Straight Women and Gay Men” as Want to Read:

A literary celebration of one of the most important relationships in a straight girl’s life—her gay best friend

This collection of original essays goes beyond the banter to get to the essence of an intimate relationship like no other. With a foreword by Tales of the City author Armistead Maupin, Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys brings together pieces by National Book Awar
Published (first published May 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys

Tatiana
Oct 13, 2010 Tatiana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I actually expected relationships between gay men and straight women to be a little more meaningful. First 3 stories were all shopping, fashion, and glitz. Can't bear it any more, I am no Carrie Bradshaw.
Hazel
Dec 23, 2007 Hazel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stupid, stupid book. There was about one good story, about a gay man who's highschool girlfriend offers to have a baby for him and his partner. Besides that, there were so many mentions of Barbara Streisand, how fabulous gay men are, and how straight the straight women's husbands were that I wanted to die.
Lauren
Oct 02, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I originally picked up with book thinking that it would be frothy and glib - like a great episode of Sex and the City featuring Stanford *and* Anthony! What I got was much more substantive and rewarding. The essays alternate between gay male and straight(ish) female authors, and provide every imaginable meditation on the peculiar dynamics found in these pairings. I definitely got the snark and humor I was looking for, but also a very serious inquiry into why gay men and straight(ish!) women get ...more
Cassy
Y
Oct 25, 2015 Y rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: problematic, rants
What did I think this book would be? A group of fun stories about straight women and gay men as friends regardless of their sexualities or genders.

What it was? A shitload of misogyny and homophobic slurs.

[tw for book: homophobia, misogyny, fetishization of gay men, gay bffs, f slur, misogynistic slurs]

Very rarely am I unable to finish a book. Even when it sucks, my usual plan is just to finish and get out the review.

But this. This was terrible.

Nobody may use the term "f*g hag" unless they are g
Gabriella
Nov 19, 2008 Gabriella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally picked this book up this August on a trip to San Francisco- I saw that Cincy Chupak contributed to it, (and I love Sex and the City). This was actually a great collection of stories about relationships, and really gives you a true insight into friendships between women and gay men. I have had only a couple gay friends in my life, but have kind of lost touch with everything else going on in life, but those are the friendships I miss the most out of any....if anything, reading this bo ...more
Linda
Jun 12, 2008 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, lgtbqia
Gay guys and their straight female friends writing essays about their friendships, failed lust attacks and lives. I didn't read every essay but I really enjoyed picking it up and randomly reading one, or picking it up and seeking a favorite author (Cecil Castelluci, Bennett Madison, David Ebershoff). Ayelet Waldman reflects on the hate mail she received about her stereotypes and prejudices after writing in Salon.com that she hoped her son would be gay; as always, she disturbs me on so many level ...more
Joe
Jul 18, 2007 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gays and their fag hags everywhere!
I am only on page 60, but I am loving it and literally laughing out loud and relating to so many things. I defintitely want to read it again just to highlight certain things.

It is a compilation of essays divided into 5 categories and is great!!!
Andrea
Jul 05, 2009 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the stories were really good, some really didn't move me at all. I enjoyed getting to read about the other perspectives gay men and the girls that love them... I feel like I need to find a best gay guy friend because from the stories I had they seem very fun, and honest :).
Anne
Feb 16, 2008 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fag hags everywhere will relate to and enjoy these essays :)
Amelia
Mar 08, 2014 Amelia marked it as no-way-jose  ·  review of another edition
I can't even express how patronising towards gay men this is, like all gay men are camp, love shopping and talk like they're Barbie or something... No.
Skip
Aug 03, 2008 Skip rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In truthfulness, I only read about three of the essays in this collection.
I found most of this stuff trite and vacuous.
Glad I didn't buy the book. It was quickly returned to the library.

Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first chapter, I realized how lucky I am to have such a wonderful man in my life.
Susan
Aug 18, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-ya
Oh God! So witty and honest.
Renee
Aug 15, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: randomchoice
Great collection of essays telling various relationship and friendship stories. Excellent writers. Very easy to relate.
Christian
Dec 02, 2007 Christian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I first learned about this book a while ago when a few of the essays were serialized in the NYTimes. They were pretty good essays, so I was looking forward to reading a book that essentially reflects (the flapcopy uses the term celebrates, but as you'll see, I don't think it's much of a celebration) on the relationship between gay men and straight women. Unfortunately, the best essays were serialized in the Times, and I really could have saved myself some time and money by just keeping those (wh ...more
ChristyAnne
Nov 02, 2010 ChristyAnne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt-issues
I'm so happy this book is now in paperback so I can get my own copy! (borrowed from the library).
Because......

A friend of mine often tells the tale of the day we "fell in love".
Another friend of mine and I are "engaged".
I told another friend of mine that I loved dancing w/ him because we could get super raunchy but neither of us had to worry about the other trying to get into our pants.
Another friend of mine and I lovingly tease each about being schoolage "lovers".

All of these men are gay. These
Katrina
Jun 08, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like every story in this collection, but that's inevitable when you're reading such a diverse set of authors. I definitely found a few whose other works I want to check out now.

Overall, this was an excellent book. The section divisions (didn't fit perfectly in all instances, but I liked that it was intended to provide more than the stereotypical Sex and the City idea of fashionable women and their gay confidantes. There's some of that in here (and a Sex and the City writer, at that), bu
Becky
May 24, 2016 Becky rated it it was ok
When I picked up this book I thought it might strike some kindred chord, since I am a straight woman who has friendships with gay men. It did not. Only two of the essays I could relate to and they had better outcomes than my personal experiences.
It was interesting to read the essays from the gay man's point of view rather than the straight woman's. Still the book seemed to be missing something. I wasn't looking for juicy details but I think I was looking for more of a -why- straight women have f
m_miriam
Feb 04, 2013 m_miriam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: openbook
All of the essays in this collection are fine representations of the theme and none of the essays in this collection particularly stand out to me; they really feel like commissioned pieces, rather than organic contemplations. The pieces I enjoyed more than others were authored by Andrew Soloman, Ayelet Waldman, and Bennett Madison. I'm glad I read it, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than as a travel/filler read; borrow it from the library next time you're going to be on plane, tra ...more
M O
May 14, 2012 M O rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read, especially for every hag who's had a fag! We all have our own gay BFFs, but there's something so delicious in indulging in other fun, fabulous and forever friendships between girls and gays. Stories ranges from light and funny ones focusing on fashion to heart-wrenching stories on how guys finally came out to their best friends. This book makes you realize the power of the bond formed by a girl and gay guy, joined by the same female spirit. I laughed, I sighed, I remembered my o ...more
NzingaMarie
I've been telling my best friend almost since the time we met that there had to be a book out there about relationships like ours. This book was a little bit different than what I was looking for. A couple of the essays were sweet and loving, but more than a couple left me feeling more disheartened than encouraged. I'm still glad I ran upon this book, but instead of seeing signs that we'll be friends forever, I feel more equipped with signs to watch out for.
Kim
Jun 03, 2012 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me approximately 2 years to get through this book. Mixing writing styles and stories kept things interesting, but some of the relationships were quite fickle. However truthful the writers were, it didn't seem to link with what I had envisioned the cohesiveness to mean, collectively. It's not like a "Chicken Soup for the LGBTQIA Soul", but it's not a depressive, beat-you-over-the-head-with-our-self-righteousness, kinda book either.
Rekha
I liked it, but I wanted to like it so much more. It was way too New-York-centric and the essays were all very similar to each other. There were a couple of pieces that stood out to me though, and it does do a fine job of celebrating these relationships. A feel-good, light read- nothing very political or earth-shattering here. It's just exactly what one might expect, which can be a good thing if you don't want to be surprised or challenged.
Jenny
Jun 16, 2008 Jenny marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Chris
I have loved my friendships like this in the past, mostly in my college days. Too bad they are hard to come by right now in my family oriented suburban life. I'm accepting application! I enjoyed these stories. They had great variety and lots of different tones and perspectives and moods. a lot of fun.
S.
Nov 30, 2016 S. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aren't we beyond the shopping, Barbra, and appletini clichés by now? Must every other story refer to Sex in the City? The book is dated in style and content; a collection of fluff pieces with all of the introspective nuance of a Will and Grace rerun. And yes, "fag hag" is a deeply offensive term; both homophobic and sexist.
Mary Lungcay
Sep 03, 2016 Mary Lungcay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He is never afraid to point my flaws or tell me where I could improve as a person.
Learn to listen.
Don't walk away.
Stop being so sensitive.
Stop being a baby.
Don't take everything so personally.
Learn to laugh about your self."

~My Fairy Godfathers by Cecil Castelucci

Scott
Aug 05, 2011 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No, there wasn't much terribly deep about the stories but I'm not sure that was the intent. Gay men and their fruit flies have always been known for quite superficial relationships. Yes, there are deep ones, but many are superficial.

The stories were cute though nothing spectacular.
Devon
Aug 14, 2008 Devon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, august08
Stereotypes galore. I don't know why I finished it.
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Best Food Writing 2008
  • Hemingway vs. Fitzgerald
  • Things I Learned About My Dad in Therapy
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Living Large: From SUVs to Double Ds---Why Going Bigger Isn't Going Better
  • Stealing Ganymede
  • Queers in History
  • Black Wood (A Witch Rising, #1)
  • Indigo Magic (Violet Wings, #2)
  • Jesus Girls: True Tales of Growing Up Female and Evangelical
  • Billion-Dollar Kiss: The Kiss That Saved Dawson's Creek and Other Adventures in TV Writing
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • Polyamory: The New Love Without Limits : Secrets of Sustainable Intimate Relationships
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • Beg, Borrow, Steal: A Writer's Life
  • Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
21911
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like
More about Melissa de la Cruz...