Start by marking “Where My Heart Belongs” as Want to Read:
Where My Heart Belongs

Where My Heart Belongs

Twelve years ago, spoiled Amy Halbert changed her name, demanded her share of the family's money, and dropped out of sight. Now as her father lies dying at the family farm in Kansas, Amy shows up out of nowhere. Her father is overjoyed to see her and learns that she's come to know the Lord. Before he dies, he begs his older daughter, Kathy, to be a good sister and welcome ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 335 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Center Point (first published September 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Where My Heart Belongs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where My Heart Belongs

Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
I love Tracie Peterson's books and this is no exception. The story is about two sisters, Kathy and Sunny. Sunny left home twelve years ago and didn't contact anybody in her family. When she returns home a changed person, her dad is ecstatic and welcomes her home like the prodigal. Kathy, however, is greatly displeased. She blames Summer for the problems in her life.

The story of forgiveness is touching and I found myself drawn into the stories of these two sisters. Definitely recommend it for any
Amanda
Apr 29, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I had checked this book out for my grandmother on a whim, because our library's selection of large print isn't too great. I was gathering everything to return and decided I wanted to try this one too. I'm so glad I did! It was really hard to put this one down. I could relate to a lot of the things Sunny had gone through in her life, and how some people will hold those things against you for a very long time. I love the characters as well as the message. It was definitely a good read!
Sheri
Mar 07, 2009 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. The flow was good and it had you wondering about the past life of Amy (Sunshine) and the author summed everything up pretty well.
It was the first book I'd read after reading straight thru the 12 left behind series so it was a good place to be.
Rachel
Feb 09, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I'm a huge fan of Tracie Peterson, and this was definitely not her best. I am so used to her excellence in the historical fiction genre which made this book uncomparable. It was a pretty good modern-day book that related to the parable of the Prodigal Son. It was an enjoyable read, but I felt liked it dragged on a little bit too much. My favorite parts were when the book faded to Sunshine talking about her past. The rest of it was pretty slow going. It wasn't an awful book but probably my least ...more
Gina
Oct 18, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A girl leaves home on the premise that her life is in a deadend in the small Kansas farming community where she was raised, leaving behind everything she's known.

Twelve years later, she returns a changed woman. Will her family accept her back? Will the changes at home and the changes within her keep them from finding peace?

Very very good book. At moments, you feel you want to reach in there and shake some sense into the characters. Peterson has really hit home with this one. A modern telling of
Monkeyface
Listened to Where My Heart Belongs by Tracie Peterson
Amy Halbert had left home 12 years ago, eager to cast aside small-town life. Her sister, Kathy, stayed behind to witness the consequences of Amy's departure. Now Amy has come back, sending Kathy into a maelstrom of emotion. Drawn together by their dying father's wishes, the sisters travel down the road of reconciliation. I give this book 3 stars and a 6. An ok family read.
Kortney
Apr 12, 2011 Kortney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw this author when I was skimming through the Religious Fiction area of Barnes and Noble and thought the books looked interesting. After choosing this book I found that I liked it very much. The writing very much reminded me of the style that Karen Kingsbury has but also different in many ways. It was a little hard to get into in the beginning but I found after a couple of chapters it moved more quickly and kept my attention.
Jessie
Apr 09, 2014 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Where My Heart Belongs", by Tracie Peterson was such a good book. It was about two sisters, Kathy and Amy. Amy left town shortly after turning 18, and nobody has heard from her in 12 years. Kathy had to put her life on hold to care for their ill parents. Now, Amy has returned and Kathy will have to deal with all of her ill feelings toward Amy. There are some unexpected discoveries, along with their blossoming relationship with the Lord. This was a great, Christian themed book.
Owen
Jul 20, 2008 Owen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My church book club is reading this book. It is definitely a tearjerker - I think I've cried every chapter. It is a modern retelling of the parable of the prodigal son. A little heavy handed with the message the author is trying to promote - that everything we do is a choice. But the plot moves along quickly.

OK, I finished the book. In typical romance fashion all the plot points are neatly (if not totally realistically, but hey, it's romance) wrapped up. Good book, not great.
Patricia Hullet
I usually love Tracie Peterson's books but this one was hard for me to get into. Halfway through the book and it still kept repeating the same issue of the sister returning home and her sister not accepting her. It did get better in the middle and towards the end I was starting to enjoy it more. I'm glad that I finished it as I almost didn't!
Robynne
Feb 01, 2008 Robynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this book 3 stars because it was pretty good, but it went on about a hundred pages too long, and I was annoyed that it was taking so long to finish. A little too "storybook" ending for me, but if you're in the mood for that kind of book, this is a good one.
Deb Brammer
This is a good basic book along the lines of the prodigal son, but I felt some of the same issues were revisited too often. Some of the problems were resolved too easily making it seem unrealistic. It's not a happy book.
Brie
Oct 11, 2012 Brie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I accidentally stole this from my old school Libary. I guess after 3 years in late fees I bought it? I hope..

Oh well, maybe one day ill actually finish this book and enjoy it.

But for now it'll sit lonely on my desk.
Bunni
Apr 11, 2012 Bunni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't one the Tracie Peterson's usual novel's. I still loved it:-) Love the characters and the story line.
Margaret
I enjoyed this book enough to find others by this author. Sad story but very uplifting, all about forgiveness.
Heather Lewis
Good book. Just a little slow, but sweet with a great 2nd half.
Susan
Feb 28, 2008 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern "Prodigal Son". Very interesting.
Ebell1993
Aug 18, 2008 Ebell1993 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so touching!! A great book for adults and young adults.
Tammie Calcutt
May 31, 2014 Tammie Calcutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! It really hit close to home with me
Beth
Aug 05, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It is about something that has been on my mind, that things may not be excusable but they are forgivable.
June
Jun 06, 2011 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
Sandy
May 11, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
Great story about forgiveness.
Amy
Jul 06, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
forgiveness, consequences, sisters, love
Shannon
Apr 08, 2008 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that this was a totally religious book until I was mid-way through. Kind of boring.
Heather
Jun 13, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Modern day story with believable characters. A story of personal struggles and faith...and love.
Janet Valine
Sep 06, 2015 Janet Valine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shows how God helps you through any situation.

God will stand by you. Through all of your trials. Shows a bond with two sisters who help each other.

Debi Lyman
Mar 13, 2008 Debi Lyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really good book. An easy read. A feel good book.
Klriley
Aug 21, 2009 Klriley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book with a good meaning. I loved the dynamics of the characters
TEENS Holmes County
Review by Sheridan T.

Two sisters with a sad past who have to deal with it now

I liked how it told if from different views
Susan Cherry
Apr 07, 2014 Susan Cherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent book
  • Separate Roads (Ribbons West, #2)
  • Awaken My Heart
  • Leaves of Hope
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • Remember Me
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • The River Rose (Water Wheel #2)
  • Journey to Riverbend
  • Black Ice (Fog Point, #2)
  • More Than Words (Daughters of Amana, #2)
  • The Perfect Life
  • Simple Gifts
  • Rugged and Relentless (Husbands for Hire, #1)
  • Waiting for Daybreak
  • A Higher Justice (The Trials of Kit Shannon #5)
  • Maggie Rose (Daughters of Jacob Kane #2)
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Story
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

“Often times we reach out to people who would rather not be reached. We love people who reject our love and would just as soon spit in our face, but Jesus asks us to go on loving--go on reaching. It's easy to love someone when they love us, but so much harder to love when we are treated poorly by that person.” 5 likes