Start by marking “Dirt Road Home (Alabama Moon, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dirt Road Home (Alabama Moon, #2)

Dirt Road Home (Alabama Moon #2)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  332 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
After his recapture at the end of ALABAMA MOON, gutsy 14-year-old Hal Mitchell is sentenced to live at Hellenweiler, an institution that is more like a jail than the boys' home it's supposed to be. Hal could walk out in just a few months if he keeps out of trouble. But in a place like Hellenweiler, the more he tries to avoid the gangs and their violence, the stronger Hal's ...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published July 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dirt Road Home, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Demetrios
Mar 11, 2014 Demetrios rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book because I have watched and read the prequel, Alabama Moon. The first story was phenomenal, so I naturally wanted to read the sequel. It's about a tough kid named Hal Mitchell who is stuck in Hellenweiler, a home for boys that's actually a corrupt penitentiary. Hal is stuck there for various offenses, but if he stays out of trouble and his daddy stays clean, Hal can move back to the clay pits at his father's trailer. Hal has a serious dilemma - the guards allow violence, and wri ...more
smoreads
May 24, 2010 smoreads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
every bit as enjoyable as a teen prison drama is allowed to be (corrupt situation, a steadfast hero, and the much-needed redemption). i loved the friendships, loved paco's philosophizing, and pumped my fist @ the feel-good ending. (i must admit to being relieved when hal finally addressed caboose's athlete's foot as well, that poor kid.) this one made me wonder, "when do boys consider themselves to be men?" (which, of course, then made me wonder about girls/women, but that's besides the point.)

Destinee
Mar 31, 2014 Destinee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grant
May 22, 2016 Grant rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-bookshelf
The Book i read was Dirt Road Home by Watt Key this book is the sequel to Alabama moon which is another book i read when i was younger. Honestly if i was being frank with you i didn’t like this book all that much, well not as much as i lived Alabama moon.

Now The Dirt Road Home was about this kid from the book Alabama moon got recaptured at the end of the book and then during this book it talks about his sentence at Hellenweiler. Now they say this place is supposed to be a Boy’s home…...I think n
Feb 16, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trc2015

The main character Hal's voice seemed very believable and authentic. This examination of a juvenile detention lock-up resisted the temptation to glorify the gang violence but told the story with persuasive gritty detail.

Tyler Kolfschoten
Nov 18, 2015 Tyler Kolfschoten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an uplifting novel that makes you cheer on the main character, Hal. Through the story you learn the harsh reality youths are exposed to. The novel helps you see into youth gangs and the struggle of peer pressure. I believe this is a great book for young adults because it shows how to overcome peer pressure and stand up for yourself. Dirt Road Home ends in a happy note that doesn't leave me asking for more. Due to the authors detailed description about the character world, I'd enjoy ...more
Claire
Jul 24, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th and up

Dirt Road Home
If you read Alabama Moon you will remember Hal, he left Pinson with Moon and their friend. He went home to Daddy; they have decided to go straight. Daddy will stop drinking and 14 year old Hal will get through Hellenweiler Boys Home with a clean record and they can both start over. Mr Wellington is a lawyer they know who is trying to help Hal get out of Hellenweiler before he is 18. If the justice system was just, this would be a piece of cake.

Hal arrives at Hellenweiler and swift
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Hal Mitchell finds himself back in a boys' home after having escaped the Pinson Home with two other boys. They headed for the woods and almost eluded the authorities in ALABAMA MOON. Now, Hal's lawyer tells him he'll only have to stay at Hellenweiler Boys' Home until a few things get straightened out - and until his dad proves he has given up alcohol and is capable of providing a decent home for Hal.

It turns out that Hellenweiler is
Kelly
2.5

Reread this one and liked it a little more this time. This book doesn't work for me as a reader but has total appeal for male readers, particularly those looking for a story about the rough life in prison. It's sort of a mean girls scenario but set in a boys home. I thought that the relationships between the boys were a bit contrived and a little tough for me to take, but the one between Hal and Carla was so spot on. I absolutely dug what Key does here in describing Hal's fascination with and
Gina
Hal has just been transferred from a boy's home to a juvenile facility for older boys. He must stay there until he is 18. Inmates in the facility must choose one of two gangs to belong to if they want to survive. The guards allow the gangs to exist and even encourage friction between both groups. Hal doesn't want to choose sides and just wants to stay out of trouble, but he might not be able to do that.
Joeydag
Dec 03, 2014 Joeydag rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We meet the protagonist of Alabama Moon after he has rejoined main stream society and struggles against the institutional nightmare that he is assigned. I read this too long ago to remember much beyond he travels with a fellow institutionalized boy and their various dysfunctional families, one boy that does not make it, and the joy it was to read both of these novels.
Fernando Marin
Jun 03, 2016 Fernando Marin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. I really enjoy how Hal handle every single situation to get out of trouble. Also the way of how he made friends that help him in some way. The home for boys is actually jail. The guards allow the violence and write a different report. Also when they change medical reports to get out of trouble. This book includes fighting, drama, love and friendship.
Kaylee R
Nov 17, 2014 Kaylee R rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dirt Road Home by Watt Key, is about this boy named, Hal. he gets sent to a boys home called Pinson, its almost like a boot camp.. He was sent because he was covering up for a friend. He and his father had to do things to be able for Hal to get out of Pinson. Hals dad has to quit drinking and keep working, well Hal has to keep his temper down in Pinson so he can leave to see his dad, and his "girlfriend". His "girlfriend" doesn't even really know where he is. But he needs to keep his cool well h ...more
Shauna Dalton
Jan 27, 2014 Shauna Dalton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick high interest read that continues where Alabama Moon left off. The main character is determined to do his time in a juvenile detention center and get out to make a better life with his recovering alcoholic dad. You are rooting for him to escape the gangs, violence, and corrupt officials that are constantly sabotaging his quest to get out.
Terri Smith
Mar 18, 2016 Terri Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another AMAZING read by Watt Key!! Fantastic!! I've already started Terror At Bottle Creek!! Being from Fairhope Alabama, I can relate. I LOVE this author!!
Wendy Waller
read alabama moon with my son - we wanted more from the author..... the book continued
Carter Sellers
Mar 13, 2014 Carter Sellers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing coming of age for Hal. Great companion novel to Alabama Moon. Recommended
Tori
Mar 31, 2014 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction, realistic
After reading two of this author's books, I like his voice. His books remind me of Shane and Where the Red Fern Grows. A little old fashioned and very comfortable. His characters are so down to earth and honest. He also gets the dialog right between his teen characters. I would recommend his books for any YA lover.
Kathie
Jul 27, 2010 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Companion Novel to Alabama Moon Hal Mitchell is sentenced to hard time at Hellenweiler Boys' Home after his short-lived escape from the state residence where he'd been kept away from his loving but alcoholic dad for the past 2 years. Here trouble finds those who try to avoid it. A survival story about a kid with the moxie and will power to find his own way. Excellent characters, twists and turns and realistic view of the boys' home.
Todd
Jan 26, 2013 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dirt Road Home is an exciting book about a 14 year old named Hal,main character from Alabama Moon, who gets sent away to juvie until he's eighteen. At this juvie to stay alive you have to join one of the two gangs, the Death Row Ministers or the Hell Hounds. But Hal is the gutsy type of guy and decided to carry his own wait. Even though he will still need help from his new friends Caboose, a quiet fat kid, and Leroy , a nervous skinny boy.
Caden Gingrich
Dirt road home by Watt Key. Dirt road home is about a kid named Hal who is trying to clean up his life. On the way he gets n fights and meets people along the way.
I rate this book a strong 8. It has so many big events that lead up to one big event that ends up to change the whole story. Hopeless Hal is what Hal is called in the story but you’ll have to read into find out why. So go and read it today
, Caden Gingrich

Anders
Mar 14, 2016 Anders rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have finished this book I read for 2 hours this week and I finished this book. At the end of this book Hal had finally gotten out of prison and he went back to find his father. Yet to his belief his father was not there. He was in disbelief that his trailer and truck were both there but his father was not. Then after a couple of days someone came back to the camper and to Hal's belief it was his father.
Barb
Feb 12, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-jshs
This is a "companion" to one of my very favorite books "Alabama Moon" -- and it's just as good! The main character in this book is the friend of the main character in "Alabama Moon," and it took me awhile to remember much about him. This takes place in juvenile detention, full of corrupt guards, a corrupt director, and lots of very angry teen boys. Very intense, very exciting, VERY good!
Dorothy Dubel
Mar 25, 2011 Dorothy Dubel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A young boy is wrongfully sentenced to a hard core correctional institution for boys. Trying to stay out of trouble by not joining a gang he finds his life in constant jeopardy by other convicted inmates.

An eye-opener for kids who think they are tougher and smarter than they actually are for their age.” Reviewed by Dorothy Dubel, Author
Aaraf Khondaker
Apr 11, 2014 Aaraf Khondaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has a lot of violence
Hannah palmer
I thought that this book was really good. It brought you in to the life of the characters, it had a rocky start in the beginning but twords the end it got really good and you could'nt put the book down. It had its ups and downs but i would recamend this book to anyone who liked perfect chemistry or hunger games.
Victoria Vogel
Sep 09, 2010 Victoria Vogel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling and very readable story of a 14 year old's struggle to survive in a juvenile detention facility. This is a companion novel to Alabama Moon, which was recently released on the big screen. Boys who hate to read just might enjoy this one. I couldn't put it down.
StorySnoops
Jan 10, 2011 StorySnoops rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dirt Road Home is a fast-paced, taut and engaging read. Mature tween boys or younger teen boys will care tremendously about Hal and his predicament. Hal's determination to... (click for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Teen Department Homewood Library
This one snuck up on me. The tension of the story builds, ebbs, and builds again. So slowly that the reader doesn't realize the how tense things are until the story's apex. I really enjoyed this one...much to my surprise!
Heather
  • How to Get Suspended and Influence People
  • On the Blue Comet
  • Junior's Leg: A Novel
  • Marching for Freedom: Walk Together Children and Don't You Grow Weary
  • How I, Nicky Flynn, Finally Get a Life (and a Dog)
  • Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze
  • Eighth-Grade Superzero
  • Mare's War
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Lockdown
  • Mindblind
  • The Big Splash
  • Rikers High

Alabama Moon (2 books)
  • Alabama Moon (Albama Moon, #1)