The Cat Who... Omnibus 01 (Books 1-3): The Cat Who Could Read Backwards / The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern / The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who... #1-3 omnibus)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  25 reviews

Prize-winning reporter Jim Qwilleran and his extraordinary Siamese cats Koko and Yum Yum always land on their feet. This special volume includes the first three books inthe series.

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards: Modern art is a mystery to many-but for Jim Qwilleran and Koko it turns into a mystery of another sort.

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern: Reporter Qwill isn't thri

Published 1991 by Marboro Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who... Omnibus 01 (Books 1-3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who... Omnibus 01 (Books 1-3)

Leslie
Jan 28, 2009 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cats and mysteries
Recommended to Leslie by: sister in law
Shelves: mystery
This whole series is a wonderful fast read with interesting tidbits of non-common information, and some of the main characters are cats
Furny
*This review is for the first tale in this book only- ' The Cat Who Could Read Backwards'*

I read this as part of a Goodreads group monthly book choice.
I have to say I was intrigued by the synopsis as it sounded unusual.
In the story we meet the main character Qwilleran who was previously a crime reporter but has just started a new job which sees him mingling with artists and gallery owners.
However Qwilleran soon has a mystery on his hand as a gallery owner is murdered and a famous painting stolen...more
Gregory Scheckler
I picked up these books because I'd read that Lillian Jackson Braun did most of her novels late in her life -- her seventies and eighties. That was inspiring to me, as a writer, so I wanted to learn more. I found the 'cat who' mysteries to be delightful and entertaining.
Susie
Sep 25, 2013 Susie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards: 3 stars
Finished 9/24/2013
I have finally finished the first book in the 3 book edition. I have to admit that "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards" was a rather slow read. I hope the next two books don't take quite so long to get to the point.

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern: 4 stars
Finished 9/25/2013
Since I read the second book in less than a day, when it took a month of starting and stopping for the first, it is obvious that I enjoyed the second installment much more...more
Lynn
Jul 22, 2011 Lynn added it
Shelves: mystery
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards -- I re-read this book as a tribute to Ms. Braun. It is the introduction to the series, and lays good groundwork for the character development in later books. It's interesting re-reading the first book after reading the rest of the series, knowing what became of the characters puts an interesting spin on reading the initial book. I like Qwilleran and KoKo better in later books, but I still like revisiting and reacquainting myself with them in the beginning. Good...more
L-V
Nov 27, 2007 L-V added it
I love the whole "Cat Who" series. They are simple, quick reads. These books are part of the genre called the "cozy mystery." Yes, people die, but there is not a lot of details on the blood and gore. It's more about small town life, the people who live there, and the trail to discovering "whodunit." I love cats so Coco and Yum Yum are big hits with me!
Connie
Lilian Jackson Braun was a late-bloomer, which goes to show that age has nothing to doing with creativity! I lent my first omnibus out (the cat who book that started it all for me!) so I just purchased another off Amazon. I can't wait to tear into it!

I'm working on the complete collection!

Chris
Finished "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Having read a later book & now gone back to the beginning, I'm glad I did. While each book does stand on its own, it's nice to see how thing progress. Will be taking a little break from these for a while, but looking forward to reading more.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The first three "The Cat Who..." books, written in the 60's, these are light mysteries filled with over-the-top stereotypes and caricatures, bland humor, and the worship of cats. They have very little to offer, without enough substance to even qualify as brain candy.
Séverine
I read this book a few years ago while i was still learning English. I think it was q decent read but i dont nderstand why this serie is so famous
Judy Johnson
I have read almost all of the Cat Who...books plus some that are related. I have enjoyed them more than any others I have read. I think that I am on something like the twentieth book of the series.
Pam Lauman
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars if able. These are the first three books in the series and definitely lay the groundwork for the rest of the story. If you love Koko and Yum Yum, read these.
Christy

The first story starts slowly and is the weakest. Stories two and three were more entertaining and creative. These are quick reads - perfect for a hot, lazy summer afternoon.
Wanda
I bought this book from my local thrift store and boy did I enjoy reading it! I am planning on buying more The Cat Who... books in the near future!
Sandy
Read the first from this book of three books. Now it's on hold while I read some other books. :-)
Julie
The Cat Who Turned On and Off by Lilian Jackson Braun (1986)
Carmen K
Reading to my son. This is my second time through the book.
Leigh
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun (1966)
Di
Better than I expected and I look forward to reading more!
Kasia
It was a little too naive
Rachel
Another easy read! :)
Kellie Hogue
loved all these books
Debbie
Fun easy to read mysteries.
Fayth
Nola
Nola added it
Aug 30, 2014
Gaelle
Gaelle marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Purrfect Murder (Mrs. Murphy, #16)
  • Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe
  • Holly Blues (China Bayles, #18)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • Three Complete Novels: A is for Alibi / B is for Burglar / C is for Corpse
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1) The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2) The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5) The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)