Start by marking “The Cat Who...: Could Read Backwards; Ate Danish Modern; Turned On and Off” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Cat Who...: Could ...

Lilian Jackson Braun

The Cat Who...: Could Read Backwards; Ate Danish Modern; Turned On and Off (The Cat Who... #1-3 omnibus)

Three complete and unabridged novels featuring Jim Quillerin and his brilliant Siamese cat Koko.
Published 1991 by Marboro Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who...

LOL_BOOKS
I LIKE THE CAT WHO BOOKS, ABOUT A WEIRD WEALTHY CATFARMER DUDE AND HIS TWO SIAMESE CATS.

IL THOSE BOOKS UNTIL THE SERIES GOES OFF THE RAILS AT THE END.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE COZY MYSTERY SERIESES, MEME? I'M SICK AND NEED SOMETHING TO READ THAT ISN'T TOO DEMANDING.

THE CAT WHO SERIES. THE FIRST TEN OR FIFTEEN ARE BEST. THEY'RE OLDER SO THEY'RE KIND OF CASUALLY SEXIST, BUT THEY ARE ALSO EXTREMELY COZY AND HEAVILY FEATURE TWO ASSHOLE SIAMESE CATS.
Leslie
Jan 28, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes cats and mysteries
Recommended to Leslie by: sister in law
Shelves: mystery
This whole series is a wonderful fast read with interesting tidbits of non-common information, and some of the main characters are cats
Shea Stinson
Feb 26, 2017 Shea Stinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat Lovers don't miss this!

The three short stories were page turners. Liked the detailed character development. Cat lovers who read this will smile as they see the familiar little feline behaviors that occur with Koko and Yum Yum.
Xyra
Apr 13, 2010 Xyra rated it it was amazing
I love these three novels! A great introduction to a fabulous cozy mystery series. This is probably the ninth time I've read these books. What makes me keep coming back?

Details! Lilian Jackson Braun knew how to weave her words in a way that would paint pictures showing the reader as well as telling the reader the story of Jim Qwilleran and his feline companions. She also knew her feline behaviors and anyone who loves a cat will be completely taken with her descriptions of the two Siamese and the
Kelly
Apr 02, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*This review is for the first tale in this book only- ' The Cat Who Could Read Backwards'*

I read this as part of a Goodreads group monthly book choice.
I have to say I was intrigued by the synopsis as it sounded unusual.
In the story we meet the main character Qwilleran who was previously a crime reporter but has just started a new job which sees him mingling with artists and gallery owners.
However Qwilleran soon has a mystery on his hand as a gallery owner is murdered and a famous painting stolen
Lynn
Apr 05, 2009 Lynn added it
Shelves: mystery
7/17-22/11
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards -- I re-read this book as a tribute to Ms. Braun. It is the introduction to the series, and lays good groundwork for the character development in later books. It's interesting re-reading the first book after reading the rest of the series, knowing what became of the characters puts an interesting spin on reading the initial book. I like Qwilleran and KoKo better in later books, but I still like revisiting and reacquainting myself with them in the beginn
Susie
Sep 24, 2013 Susie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards: 3 stars
Finished 9/24/2013
I have finally finished the first book in the 3 book edition. I have to admit that "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards" was a rather slow read. I hope the next two books don't take quite so long to get to the point.

The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern: 4 stars
Finished 9/25/2013
Since I read the second book in less than a day, when it took a month of starting and stopping for the first, it is obvious that I enjoyed the second installment much more
Connie
Jun 26, 2012 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
Lilian Jackson Braun was a late-bloomer, which goes to show that age has nothing to doing with creativity! I lent my first omnibus out (the cat who book that started it all for me!) so I just purchased another off Amazon. I can't wait to tear into it!

I'm working on the complete collection!

L-V
Nov 27, 2007 L-V added it
I love the whole "Cat Who" series. They are simple, quick reads. These books are part of the genre called the "cozy mystery." Yes, people die, but there is not a lot of details on the blood and gore. It's more about small town life, the people who live there, and the trail to discovering "whodunit." I love cats so Coco and Yum Yum are big hits with me!
Gregory Scheckler
I picked up these books because I'd read that Lillian Jackson Braun did most of her novels late in her life -- her seventies and eighties. That was inspiring to me, as a writer, so I wanted to learn more. I found the 'cat who' mysteries to be delightful and entertaining.
Meredith
Jan 21, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-cat-who
What a delightful series :-) Anyone who has ever owned a cat can appreciate these books, especially if that cat is a Siamese! The fact that the story is about a MALE feline-codependant is a nice twist. The mysteries are pretty good too. You can't always figure out "who done it" before the end.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The first three "The Cat Who..." books, written in the 60's, these are light mysteries filled with over-the-top stereotypes and caricatures, bland humor, and the worship of cats. They have very little to offer, without enough substance to even qualify as brain candy.
Chris
Aug 30, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-cat-who
Finished "The Cat Who Turned On and Off". Having read a later book & now gone back to the beginning, I'm glad I did. While each book does stand on its own, it's nice to see how thing progress. Will be taking a little break from these for a while, but looking forward to reading more.
Keith
Aug 15, 2015 Keith rated it liked it
This was my introduction to the series (I inherited a complete set). A fast-paced read with much humor. All three books rolled along pretty well.
Séverine
Dec 29, 2013 Séverine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago while i was still learning English. I think it was q decent read but i dont nderstand why this serie is so famous
Pam Lauman
Oct 30, 2010 Pam Lauman rated it liked it
Shelves: books-owned
I would have given this 3 1/2 stars if able. These are the first three books in the series and definitely lay the groundwork for the rest of the story. If you love Koko and Yum Yum, read these.
Christy

The first story starts slowly and is the weakest. Stories two and three were more entertaining and creative. These are quick reads - perfect for a hot, lazy summer afternoon.
Judy Johnson
Aug 08, 2009 Judy Johnson rated it it was amazing
I have read almost all of the Cat Who...books plus some that are related. I have enjoyed them more than any others I have read. I think that I am on something like the twentieth book of the series.
Wanda
Jun 21, 2012 Wanda rated it it was amazing
I bought this book from my local thrift store and boy did I enjoy reading it! I am planning on buying more The Cat Who... books in the near future!
Shazia
Shazia rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2011
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Mona
Mona rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Snedley
Snedley rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2010
Mum'sTheWord
Mum'sTheWord rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2007
Jennifer rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2010
Sharon
Sharon rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2010
Christie
Christie rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Russ
Russ rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2010
Robin Leslie Coxon
Robin Leslie Coxon rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • Sour Puss (Mrs. Murphy, #14)
  • The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun
  • The Spy in the Ointment
  • A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love
  • Masterpieces of Murder
  • House of Smoke (Kate Blanchard, #1)
  • Cat Miracles: Inspiring True Tales of Remarkable Felines
  • Poisoned Pawn (The Fall of the Altairan Empire, #3)
  • Hell Has No Fury
  • Tom Sawyer Abroad/Tom Sawyer, Detective (Mark Twain Library)
  • Loyal Valley: Assassination
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more
More about Lilian Jackson Braun...

The Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)