Start by marking “Vineyard Enigma (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #13)” as Want to Read:
Vineyard Enigma (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #13)

Vineyard Enigma (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #14)

With the arrival of warm weather and good fishing, life should be great for J. W. Jackson and his wife, Zee. Martha's Vineyard may be no Eden, but J.W. wouldn't trade it for any other place on earth.

Something's wrong, though. The morning newspaper brings an update on the case of the Headless Horseman, a headless and handless corpse found on a local bridle path six months

Published March 5th 2003 by Scribner (first published May 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Vineyard Enigma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vineyard Enigma

Wayne Zurl
Mar 10, 2017 Wayne Zurl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VINEYARD ENIGMA by Philip R. Craig…..

After reading the cover summary and first chapter I thought Philip Craig intended to turn J.W. Jackson into the Martha’s Vineyard Indiana Jones. But it didn’t turn out that way.

J.W. is asked by a couple of friends to help a charismatic African find two antique, carved soapstone eagles once stolen from the “Great Zimbabwe” historical site. The assignment isn’t too farfetched or difficult, except J.W. knows nothing about the world of collectible African artifa
Shrimpo
Barbara M
Philip Craig always writes an enjoyable mystery with the great Martha's Vineyard setting, wonderful fishing and great food (he includes many recipes). JW Jackson and his lovely family are always fun to 'visit' but there's a true mystery with plenty of danger. This time JW is asked by a friend to help Abraham Mahsimba find a stolen African artifact. Mahsimba is a from Zimbabwe and studied in England. JW has a great deal on his mind, he's been worried about Zee who was involved in a shooting in th ...more
Ed
Aug 20, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#13 in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series.

Martha's Vineyard Mystery series - Former Boston cop J.W. Jackson searches for two ancient soapstone eagles allegedly stolen from African ruins, as well as for clues to his wife Zee's sudden detachment. Abraham Mahsimba, a cultivated and attractive African, may have given J.W. a fresh mission (and a new interest in priceless artifacts), but he's also struck Zee's fancy. A naked, headless and unidentified body and the murder of an art dealer complicate
Ann
May 12, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J W Jackson is hired to locate two ancient stone eagles from Africa that may have been illegally shipped to someone on the island. He is joined in the search by a representative from Zimbabwe. He wants to help but can't help but worry when his beloved Zee seems to be falling in love with the visitor. But a body has turned up with no head and no hands and he needs to make sure his family is safe . Good series. Good characters.
Laurie
Jul 12, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this on vacation and on the plane. It was a pretty good read. I'm not much into mysteries, but this is the alumni book club book and since I'm free the night they are meeting to discuss it I thought I would read it. Pretty good, but not sure how we are going to discuss a mystery. I'll update you after the book group meets.
Michelle
Aug 09, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
these are one of my college professors books and I thorougly enjoy them.His protaganist is wonderful and the recipes in his books are divine.I absolutely loved this one. I have not read him in a while and need to finish this series off. His protaganist JW is so wonderful his narative description makes you want to run off to Martha's Vineyard.
Kathryn Bain
Dec 26, 2014 Kathryn Bain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good read. This is especially good if you like a lot of history about art, different cultures, and Martha's Vineyard. It wasn't really my style, but it was done well enough you could skip over if you don't care for it. I'd check out another Craig book.

Very little cursing, not sexual content.
Linda Hanchett
Dec 28, 2014 Linda Hanchett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I forgot I should write and give feedback. Sorry. It was pretty good. Not the best of his I've read. Sorry, but I've read about 5 books since I finished it and really don't remember. I'll try to do better on next book.
Katy
Jun 02, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Vineyard mystery with ex-Boston cop J. W. and his family. This time J. W. faces two crises, one involving stolen artworks from Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia) and the other involving his wife facing choices from a trauma in her life.
Anne
Aug 29, 2008 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not enough of J.W. and Zee interacting in this book. That is usually a treat in Craig's Martha's Vineyard series.
Nancy H
Jun 03, 2014 Nancy H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series, and this entry is another winner! One of the reasons I like it is that the characters of both J.W. and Zee are so human, which is again demonstrated in this story.
Feb 06, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Great book.
Jaimie
Aug 06, 2008 Jaimie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given to me my by wonderful sister-in-law Anne. A good choice for summer reading fun. Lots of descriptions of Martha's Vineyard ...I'd like to go sometime.
Kathie
Dec 01, 2012 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting story with lots of new facts and information.
Mary Jane
Jan 26, 2008 Mary Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More Vineyard entertainment! He brings the Vineyard to your sofa if you can't make it there in person. He's the next best thing to the real thing!
Linda Owen
An average mystery set on Martha's Vineyard and one of a series. I found the characters unengaging and the tone snarky, but folks familiar with the setting might enjoy finding familiar places.
Pam
Feb 04, 2011 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series.
Jeannette Pepin
Jeannette Pepin rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2008
Darlene Lane
Darlene Lane rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
Bonny Mclaughlin
Bonny Mclaughlin rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Joann
Joann rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
lynne danon
lynne danon rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Barbara rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2009
Alice
Alice rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2013
Stacy Bearse
Stacy Bearse rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2011
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2007
  • The Last Love
  • The Alpine Pursuit (Emma Lord, #16)
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
  • Hen's Teeth  (Kellen Stewart,  #1)
  • The Lynmara Legacy
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • Advent of Dying (Sister Mary Helen #2)
  • Cat in a Neon Nightmare (Midnight Louie, #15)
  • Murder on Board: The Mystery of the Blue Train / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw /Death in the Air
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • Home by Another Way
  • Murder in Havana (Capital Crimes, #18)
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is pa
More about Philip R. Craig...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Death in Vineyard Waters (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #2)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)