Start by marking “Masters of Noir: Volume One” as Want to Read:
Masters of Noir: Volume One

Masters of Noir: Volume One (Masters of Noir #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  61 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A walk on the wild side! In this series of collections of gritty Noir and Hardboiled stories, you'll find some of the best writers of the craft writing in their prime. The following stories are included in this first volume of Masters of Noir: IDENTITY UNKNOWN by JONATHAN CRAIG, THE GIRL BEHIND THE HEDGE by MICKEY SPILLANE, CARRERA'S WOMAN by ED McBAIN writing as RICHARD M ...more
Published (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Masters of Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters of Noir

Hazel
Sep 14, 2011 Hazel rated it did not like it
I was quite excited to discover this, but after a few stories, I find myself more and more dismayed by its misogyny. The women here are either objects, of lust/violence (disposable tarts or nubile crime victims) or else perfidious, hard-hearted femme fatales, literally fatal to their hapless prey. I'm about halfway through and haven't found a more rounded female character yet. Was Noir always like this?

I may try the other stories later on, but for now, I think I've had enough.
Cathy DuPont
Nov 10, 2011 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it
TV commericals, great ones, memorable ones, must be short, sharp, to the point, and make people want to run out the door to buy the product.

Short stories are similar because readers must 'get' the character in very few words, the dialog must be to the point and easily interpreted, and the writing sharp and easily understood.

I've been enjoying a personal challenge to read early noir books and this one was on sale on Kindle. It took a few weeks to finish because I would read chapters while waitin
Joe Hempel
Jan 19, 2011 Joe Hempel rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short Noir stories from some of the genre's best! My favorite is probably Look Death in the Eye, with As I Lie Dead a close second. Can't wait to get into the other volumes!
Angela Maher
An entertaining collection of short stories in this genre, with a nice, vintage feel to them. Most stories leave you guessing as to the ending. One story I didn't like, but the rest were good.
Jekke
Jan 12, 2011 Jekke rated it it was ok
A couple of readable stories front-loaded onto a lot of really bad ones. Probably more indicative of the genre at its height than a "best of" collection should be.
Buggz79
Oct 23, 2012 Buggz79 rated it liked it
I liked it.

Gritty chaps, jaded with the world with curvaceous blondes/brunettes/redheads who invariably wind up deceased.

What's not to like?
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Jason Hodge
Jason Hodge marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Rose Wagner
Rose Wagner rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 30, 2016
Jimbot
Jimbot added it
Jun 18, 2016
Danielys Pulve
Danielys Pulve marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Apr 30, 2016
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Martin
Martin added it
Mar 06, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Chris Pondish
Chris Pondish rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Paul Nugent
Paul Nugent marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2016
Ружа Димитрова
Ружа Димитрова rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Ed Bevan
Ed Bevan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Mike Thompson
Mike Thompson rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2015
Bharath
Bharath rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Peter
Peter added it
Nov 02, 2015
Virgil
Virgil rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2015
Robert S Redding
Robert S Redding marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Hnmestel
Hnmestel rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Masters of Noir (4 books)
  • Masters of Noir: Volume Two