Start by marking “Masters of Noir: Volume One” as Want to Read:
Masters of Noir: Volume One

Masters of Noir: Volume One (Masters of Noir #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A walk on the wild side! In this series of collections of gritty Noir and Hardboiled stories, you'll find some of the best writers of the craft writing in their prime. The following stories are included in this first volume of Masters of Noir: IDENTITY UNKNOWN by JONATHAN CRAIG, THE GIRL BEHIND THE HEDGE by MICKEY SPILLANE, CARRERA'S WOMAN by ED McBAIN writing as RICHARD M ...more
Published (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Masters of Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters of Noir

Cathy DuPont
TV commericals, great ones, memorable ones, must be short, sharp, to the point, and make people want to run out the door to buy the product.

Short stories are similar because readers must 'get' the character in very few words, the dialog must be to the point and easily interpreted, and the writing sharp and easily understood.

I've been enjoying a personal challenge to read early noir books and this one was on sale on Kindle. It took a few weeks to finish because I would read chapters while waitin
Hazel
I was quite excited to discover this, but after a few stories, I find myself more and more dismayed by its misogyny. The women here are either objects, of lust/violence (disposable tarts or nubile crime victims) or else perfidious, hard-hearted femme fatales, literally fatal to their hapless prey. I'm about halfway through and haven't found a more rounded female character yet. Was Noir always like this?

I may try the other stories later on, but for now, I think I've had enough.
Joe Hempel
An excellent collection of short Noir stories from some of the genre's best! My favorite is probably Look Death in the Eye, with As I Lie Dead a close second. Can't wait to get into the other volumes!
Angela J Maher
An entertaining collection of short stories in this genre, with a nice, vintage feel to them. Most stories leave you guessing as to the ending. One story I didn't like, but the rest were good.
Jekke
A couple of readable stories front-loaded onto a lot of really bad ones. Probably more indicative of the genre at its height than a "best of" collection should be.
Buggz79
I liked it.

Gritty chaps, jaded with the world with curvaceous blondes/brunettes/redheads who invariably wind up deceased.

What's not to like?
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Andy Dean
Andy Dean marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Khingaa
Khingaa marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Chris Doyle
Chris Doyle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Heather Robertson
Heather Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Justin
Justin added it
Sep 10, 2014
Bobbye Sloan
Bobbye Sloan marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Marko Mehner
Marko Mehner marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Masters of Noir (4 books)
  • Masters of Noir: Volume Two
  • Masters of Noir: Volume Three
  • Masters of Noir Volume Four
The Sins of the Fathers (Matthew Scudder, #1) Eight Million Ways to Die (Matthew Scudder, #5) When the Sacred Ginmill Closes (Matthew Scudder, #6) Hit Man (Keller, #1) Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #1)