Start by marking “Masters of Noir: Volume One” as Want to Read:
Masters of Noir: Volume One

Masters of Noir: Volume One (Masters of Noir #1)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A walk on the wild side! In this series of collections of gritty Noir and Hardboiled stories, you'll find some of the best writers of the craft writing in their prime. The following stories are included in this first volume of Masters of Noir: IDENTITY UNKNOWN by JONATHAN CRAIG, THE GIRL BEHIND THE HEDGE by MICKEY SPILLANE, CARRERA'S WOMAN by ED McBAIN writing as RICHARD M ...more
Published (first published July 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Masters of Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masters of Noir

Cathy DuPont
TV commericals, great ones, memorable ones, must be short, sharp, to the point, and make people want to run out the door to buy the product.

Short stories are similar because readers must 'get' the character in very few words, the dialog must be to the point and easily interpreted, and the writing sharp and easily understood.

I've been enjoying a personal challenge to read early noir books and this one was on sale on Kindle. It took a few weeks to finish because I would read chapters while waitin
I was quite excited to discover this, but after a few stories, I find myself more and more dismayed by its misogyny. The women here are either objects, of lust/violence (disposable tarts or nubile crime victims) or else perfidious, hard-hearted femme fatales, literally fatal to their hapless prey. I'm about halfway through and haven't found a more rounded female character yet. Was Noir always like this?

I may try the other stories later on, but for now, I think I've had enough.
Joe Hempel
An excellent collection of short Noir stories from some of the genre's best! My favorite is probably Look Death in the Eye, with As I Lie Dead a close second. Can't wait to get into the other volumes!
Angela J Maher
An entertaining collection of short stories in this genre, with a nice, vintage feel to them. Most stories leave you guessing as to the ending. One story I didn't like, but the rest were good.
A couple of readable stories front-loaded onto a lot of really bad ones. Probably more indicative of the genre at its height than a "best of" collection should be.
I liked it.

Gritty chaps, jaded with the world with curvaceous blondes/brunettes/redheads who invariably wind up deceased.

What's not to like?
Peter added it
Nov 02, 2015
Robert S Redding
Robert S Redding marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Carmen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Margie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Cindy marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Leslie Pauley
Leslie Pauley marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Deb marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Andy Dean
Andy Dean marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Khingaa marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Chris Doyle
Chris Doyle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Heather Robertson
Heather Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2002.

From his web site:

I'm told every good author website needs a bio, so here's mine:

"Lawrence Block's novels range from the urban noir of Matthew Scudder (A Drop of the Hard Stuff) to the urbane effervescence of Bernie Rhodenbarr (The Burglar on the Prowl), while other characters include the globe-trotting insomniac Evan Tanne
More about Lawrence Block...

Masters of Noir (4 books)
  • Masters of Noir: Volume Two