Start by marking “Clowns At Midnight” as Want to Read:
Clowns At Midnight

Clowns At Midnight

2.73 of 5 stars 2.73  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Following the breakdown of a long-term relationship, crime novelist David Leeton retreats to remote New South Wales, where he finds himself accepted into the local community and befriended by urbane Sardinian farmer Carlo Risi, an expert on European folklore and ancient religions. Leeton is a coulrophobe: he has a terrible phobia about clowns and related images. Over the c ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by PS Publishing Ltd (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Clowns At Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clowns At Midnight

Tranylle
I read this book for the Locus Challenge. For the most part I really enjoyed this book. I don't normally read books in this genre, but the mystery was intriguing and kept me reading to find out just what was going on. There wasn't any swearing or anything bad for most of the book which I appreciated...until I got towards the end, which did have swearing and some fairly graphic parts. Those types of things really discourage me from reading a book, because I don't find them necessary. At the end o ...more
Troy
I really liked the middle of this book. The beginning started out slow, but once odd things started happening to the main character, it got really good. Terry Dowling does a great job taking you inside the mind of someone with a phobia. However, the ending left a few questions I really wanted to know the answers to unanswered. It left me feeling a bit unsatisfied.

If you like modern horror mixed with a little fantasy along with a rumination on how modern religion has stolen symbols and ideas from
Fred Hughes
Didn't really finish. Just gave up on it !

Our protagonist is one David Leeton who has a real problem with clowns, in fact he has coulrophia which is an actual fear of clowns. David's fears are even wider than that in that anything that resembles a scarecrow, statue or mask throws him for a loop as well.

To add insult to injury he also has a compulsion to look at the things that he is afraid of. Sort of a ying and yang with him stuck in the middle.

He refers to the various stress levels he feels as
Adam Nevill
When I read Fowles's The Magus, I did wonder if anyone could replicate the effects of that novel in a supernatural horror novel, and I think this is as close as anyone has been. Some absolutely chilling passages. The end was not to my taste, but that's my taste. But a mesmerising location and mystery for the majority of the story.
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Christopher Mabry
Christopher Mabry marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Alicja Laskowska
Alicja Laskowska marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Penny
Penny added it
Oct 03, 2013
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Matt
Matt added it
Oct 10, 2012
Tifga
Tifga marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2012
Heidi Ash
Heidi Ash marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2012
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2012
George Ivanoff
George Ivanoff marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2011
Terence William (Terry) Dowling -

“Who’s the writer who can produce horror as powerful and witty as the best of Peter Straub, SF as wondrously byzantine and baroque as anything by Gene Wolfe, near-mainstream subtly tinged with the fantastic like some tales by Powers or Lansdale? Why Terry Dowling, of course.” Locus (Nov 1999)

Born in Sydney in 1947, Terry Dowling is one of Australia’s most awarded,
More about Terry Dowling...
Rynosseros Blue Tyson Wormwood Twilight Beach Basic Black: Tales of Appropriate Fear