Start by marking “Break the Bipolar Cycle” as Want to Read:
Break the Bipolar Cycle

Break the Bipolar Cycle

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Take control of your symptoms--and take charge of your life

If you're dealing with bipolar disorder, you already know that it's more than a cycle of "ups" and "downs." You may also have difficulty with depression and irritability, as well as problems with weight gain, memory, and fatigue. Dealing with these day-to-day problems can sometimes seem like too much to bear. Drawi
Published December 20th 2007 by McGraw-Hill

To ask other readers questions about Break the Bipolar Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break the Bipolar Cycle

Patty
Written in a very simple style that comes off as condescending at times. The print is large and the margins very wide, so there's less info there than you'd think.

The authors gloss over serious side effects of bipolar treatments and overstate efficacy, giving false hopes. They give helpful advice like if you get sexual side effects from your medications, perhaps you should just do without sex. That's a good way to keep your marriage going strong! The worksheets were far too basic for me, but co
Corydavis08
I highly recommend this book to anyone that is friends with someone that is bi-polar or is bipolar themselves. It helped me understand my friend so much more and able to relate to what he is going through. Also allowed us to further discuss his disease.
Robert
most beneficial to family & loved ones to understand / insight for the most part in layman's terms what life is like for those of us affected by this illness on a day to day basis.
Maggie
Absolutely brilliant book about Bipolar but not one I'd recommend as a first read for the newly diagnosed. However some where down the track have a read of this. It outlines what actually happens in the brain with bipolar, and then tackles really useful subjects including "I just want things to go back the way they were", "I just don't fee like it" (about the problems with motivation), "If I'm taking my medication why do I feel bad again?", "Just when I felt ok I got sick again", and "I thought ...more
Gregory Boyce
A must read for anyone with bipolar disorder, it is informative and helpful for such anyone struggling with this illness.
Bridgett
Very useful and detailed book about Bipolar. I learned a lot and related to much the book covered.
Blame Bipolar
Feb 25, 2012 Blame Bipolar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: other patients
I really liked this book because it talked about how those diagnosed with bipolar disorder face information processing problems that affect them at work and school. I've read 3-4 books and countless articles on bipolar disorder, and I felt like this book offerend a unique perspective. There are also some worksheets at the end of each chapter.

I bought this as an eBook (so I could read it in public without getting judgemental looks) but I recommend getting the hard copy in order to use the workshe
Cate
As a management plan, I suppose this could work for some people if they had the energy and organization to track and graph much of their external factors and personal responses. I question how many people could actually make use of such tool when in crisis.
However, as a guide to understanding the many ways this disease can affect a person and the wide range of symptoms that could be present (thereby helping loved ones understand much more about the personal realities of living with BSD), this b
Meg
The book provides the explanation and a way for people suffering from bi polar to get out from under the burden and stigma of this devastating illness providing that they acknowledge that they have the illness.
The charts and the explanations make it very easy.
The book also provides insight for the rest of us, living with those who have this brain disorder to understand and perhaps guide in the process.
Abnoos
Easy literature, genera information and practical tips for the patients and the purpose of self help. I liked it because you can read and highlight it and give it to others. I specially recommend it because out of all the books I read about BP, it's the first one which sets realistic perspectives in the course of treatment, and more emphasis on the BP person rather than an ideal support team.
Heather
I was curious to learn more about bipolar disorder, and this book was a good introduction. I felt like I got a good understanding of the symptoms of the disorder and the struggles that people with bipolar disorder endure. There were exercises at the end of each chapter that seemed like they would be helpful, and one chapter in particular, I thought was useful for anyone.
Jessica
As someone struggling with Bipolar, I feel the need to point out that while it was an easy read I couldn't put it down. It has the tools I need to manage my Bipolar and it took me two days to realize that while not everything in his book applies to me, most of it does. I'm glad this book is recommended to people because it is worth it.
Kerstin
Jul 04, 2009 Kerstin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those newly diagnosed with bipolar disorder
Shelves: psychology
One of the better books about bipolar disorder. It is fairly basic but useful for those newly diagnosed, and for lending to family and friends.
Dawn Wells
Not my cup of tea but I guess if you are an organized bipolar, who likes graphs, charts and list. It may be for you which may be a soft bipolar?
Faith
I really enjoyed the book. It had wonderful graphs and information that that helped me figure my daily life. I had hard time at the end with scheduling because my day is spent at home or going to group or the library for more resources.
Cheyenne
Cheyenne marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Revonda Russos
Revonda Russos marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Noël
Noël marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Heather Chraca
Heather Chraca marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Sherry Johndrow
Sherry Johndrow marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Excusemeimcrazy
Excusemeimcrazy marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Amina El motere
Amina El motere marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Briana Gangi
Briana Gangi marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Karlissa Kawecki
Karlissa Kawecki marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015