Absolutely Beastly Children

Absolutely Beastly Children

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In this book you’ll find 26 children who are almost certainly nothing like you. You always eat your peas and say please. You, unlike Oscar, would never tell lies. And in your wildest dreams you wouldn’t play with your food the way Nancy does. But even the sweetest child can be tempt-ed to behave badly. Thankfully, Dan Krall has put together this collection to remind us jus...more
Published September 28th 2010 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Absolutely Beastly Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolutely Beastly Children

Lisa
Actually 3 1/2 Stars. As alphabet books go, it had a Gorey-esque quality (minus Gorey's wonderful illustrations--these were okay, it really isn't fair for me to compare anything to Gorey.)The very last child listed in the book could have been better. Althought the meter was good throughout the book, Z fell flat and meter was off. Not sure why the author didn't use something stronger to make it all more cohesive.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Think Topps Wacky Packages (1970's bubble gum stickers with ick-factor) meet Tim Burton. Dan Krall's ABC book combines somewhat macabre illustrations with text that goes from the benign to the sublime. Unfortunately not an alphabet book that I intend to share with kinders but I know a few 8 or 9 year old boys who would think this was hysterical.
Kris
For me, this one was "meh". Great concept, but could've been taken so much further. There were more than a couple "this one won't wash this body part", and one or two that I thought might touch a nerve - it's one thing to laugh at a kid who farts in a crowd or won't eat his peas, but "still wets the bed" might sting some. The gross factor will appeal.
David Natiuk
One of the funniest children's book illustrations ever. The rhyming is excellent, but the pictures make everybody in our family laugh, oldest to youngest. Great messages about personal hygiene and bad habits wrapped up in a joyful delivery of rhythms and pictures.
Kayce
I like the way he tries to incorporate kids of different ethnic backgrounds, but I think his choice for Yoshi leans too heavily on stereotypes.
Nance
Many of the rhymes were awkward and not all the categories seemed appropriate. Illustrations on white background added meaning and depth.
Clarissa
Not sure if I liked this or if it was too intent on improving children. The pictures were great.
Megan
X is for Xander who farts in a crowd is my favorite beastly child.
Michael Slack
A fantastic alphabet book filled with rogues and misfits.
Alexa
Very funny for an alphabet book, in a Gorey kind of way.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Angie
Angie added it
Jul 29, 2013
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2013
Sep 05, 2012
Theda
Theda added it
Feb 01, 2012
The Great Lollipop Caper great lollipop caper counter prepack 6 Sick Simon Oh, Nuts! Being a Pig Is Nice: A Child's-Eye View of Manners