Start by marking “Herland, The Yellow Wall-Paper, and Selected Writings” as Want to Read:
Herland, The Yellow Wall-Paper, and Selected Writings

Herland, The Yellow Wall-Paper, and Selected Writings

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  839 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a turn-of-the-century American feminist and socialist thinker. In her works of fiction, Gilman sought to illustrate her ideas about the way American society squandered the talents and economic contributions of women. Based on the nervous breakdown she suffered during her own disastrous first marriage, The Yellow Wall-Paper is her classic story ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Penguin Classics (first published 1915)

Be the first to ask a question about Herland, The Yellow Wall-Paper, and Selected Writings

Les Misérables by Victor HugoWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraUlysses by James Joyce
The Great Classics You Have Not Read Yet
274th out of 567 books — 1,484 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathGirl, Interrupted by Susanna KaysenThe Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Charlotte Perkins GilmanProzac Nation by Elizabeth WurtzelThe Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Women and Mental Illness
113th out of 614 books — 1,506 voters

More lists with this book...

Roger Brunyate
Jul 20, 2016 Roger Brunyate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
More Than The Yellow Wallpaper

Charlotte Perkins Gilman is best known for the story "The Yellow Wallpaper" (1892), about a married female writer who goes mad after being confined to her room as a cure for post-partum depression, and deprived of all creative outlets. To a certain extent, it is autobiographical, although Charlotte succeeded in escaping her first marriage, moved to California, flourished as a writer, and married her cousin Houghton Gilman in 1900. She continued writing and lecturing
Kathy
Mar 05, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
As this was a collection of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's works, it's hard to just give it an overall rating or review. Herland would definitely get five stars on its own, and most of the short stories hover around four or five stars. I'm not a big poetry fan, so I'd rate those lower (although I actually enjoyed them more than most poetry I've read).

I found I enjoyed her works MUCH more than a lot of 20th-century feminist writing (particularly that of the 60s & 70s). I don't know if she's repre
Zezee
Nov 16, 2015 Zezee rated it it was amazing
An unsettling story, to say the least. I decided to read this story because of how often I’ve heard of it. I was particularly intrigued because I was told that the narrator is highly unreliable and mad. Crazy people always pique my interest. Of course, my constant misgiving regarding the classics made me assume that it would be a boring read but I resolved to plow through it no matter what. I wanted to know what happens.

I read “The Yellow Wall-Paper” in the Penguin Classics copy of Gillman’s sel
Ellen
May 21, 2011 Ellen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers interested in early feminism, utopian cultures, women's issues, and the like.
Recommended to Ellen by: No one. Just found it at the library.
SPOILER WARNING!! This review contains spoilers. You may not wish to read past this point...

Turned out to be a really fun read. Gilman was way ahead of her time, and in "Herland" she created a utopian country composed only of women and children, no men. The society had developed a tightly knit culture in which the good of the group came in way ahead of the good of the individual, competition and other "masculine" values had been virtually eliminated, and everyone cooperated in raising children.
Yvonne Alexis
Apr 06, 2016 Yvonne Alexis rated it liked it
I liked the concept of a land full of women, although it was rather simplistic and utopian. If only women could all live like that, but I'd think the sexual urge might prove to strong for some of us. Although to be fair, it had taken the women 2000 years to get there, whereas in the real world, it seems to me we're regressing, so maybe it could work....

The Yellow Wallpaper so sad, and such failure of understanding from the people around her, and even of genuine concern...
Colleen C
Aug 01, 2014 Colleen C rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed studying "The Yellow Wall-Paper" in high school, I was greatly disappointed with Gilman's short novel "Herland". Published in 1915, the novel tells the story of three male characters as they encounter an isolated country of only women. The premise was promising, but the absurd perfection imagined by Gilman of an all-female society was boring and one dimensional, rather than fascinating.

Nonetheless, I recognize the significance of this text for feminist readers and recommen
Jo
Jan 08, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. I can't believe I haven't come across her work before. This is undoubtedly one of my favourite ever books. Not just the title book "The Yellow Wallpaper" but her short stories and poetry. Especially the poetry where her words echo my sentiments - things have not moved on so far in 100 years of gender equality. My only slight gripe was that "Herland" was a little dragged out. I will definitely read this again and am so grateful to Victoria Allen for introducing it to me this Christmas.
Nicole
Aug 15, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
gilman tells a tale of 3 men, who each represent 3 views toward women, as they enter an isolated Utopian society of only women who reproduce asexually. You have:

terry the dominant male type who feels women must be mastered.
vandyke, or van, represents the compromise between extreme views on women. he's in the middle.
jeff believes women are angels to be worshiped and held up on a pedestal.

at first, i very much enjoyed the story gilman portrayed, but as i kept reading, she started to lose me. perha
Traci
Sep 20, 2008 Traci rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Charlotte Perkins Gilman is one of the first feminist writers. She was born in mid-1800, committed suicide, while suffering from cancer, in 1935.

Herland is a country of women only. The men had been killed during a war and earthquake. For centuries the women had built up their country -- beautifying and improving it. Three male explorers accidentally find this country. At first the men are thought to have great insight for humanity and invention, but after learning from them, the women discover
Robin
Jun 13, 2014 Robin rated it liked it
Herland was an impossible but interesting imagining of an all-female society (I say impossible not because of the society itself, but because of the spontaneous virgin birth). Although the ending was awkward, the exploration of how a female-driven society would development was quite enjoyable and interesting. Perhaps it would have been more interesting during the time the book was written, when there was a very palpable culture of viewing women as obviously inferior, weak, incompetent, emotional ...more
Diana
Dec 30, 2008 Diana rated it liked it
As much as I love Charlotte Perkins Gilman, I was not as impressed by Herland as I expected to be. I found it didactic in places rather than letting the story just flow and get the message across. For my taste, her short stories get her message of women's equality across in a much more powerful way because the stories are less didactic and preachy. I think it's an important book, don't get me wrong, but I think other writers have created these women's countries and utopias in a much more believa ...more
Kai Szulborski
Feb 04, 2016 Kai Szulborski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit. WHY do we only read the Yellow Wallpaper? ALL of these stories are amazing as fuck. My professional literary analysis.
Annie
Aug 03, 2007 Annie rated it liked it
I wrote a really long review of this book, but somehow it got deleted. Anyways, basically it said that Herland and "The Yellow Wallpaper" are the only two writings Gilman is known for, and her writing in "The Yellow Wallpaper" is far superior to that of Herland (as judged by the millions of English teachers who now assign "Yellow Wallpaper"). In Herland, which is a story of three men who find an isolated commune of self-reproducing women, the writing is somewhat mediocre and the characters are f ...more
Mango
Dec 08, 2014 Mango added it
One of my favorite books, very well written.
BakulBuku
“Do your women have no names before they are married?” Celis suddenly demanded.
“Why, yes,” Jeff explained. “They have their maiden names — their father’s names, that is.”
“And what becomes of them?” asked Alima.
“They change them for their husbands’, my dear,” Terry answered her.
“Change them? Do the husbands then take the wives’ ‘maiden names’?”
“Oh, no,” he laughed. “The man keeps his own and gives it to her, too.”
“Then she just loses hers and takes a new one — how unpleasant! We won’t do that!” A
Camille Chidsey
Aug 29, 2012 Camille Chidsey rated it really liked it
I didn't get around to reading Herland but I read the short stories and poetry. Gilman's poetry is phenomenal. The short stories were also good, although some were better than others which was to be expected. Several stories really impressed me though. Overall, Gilman is a fantastic writer. She's definitely well ahead of her time, and I was pleasantly surprised to see such strong advocacy for women to separate themselves from house and home in 19th century literature. Very interesting, truthful, ...more
Tcwildstar
Dec 30, 2011 Tcwildstar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was consumed by the concept of the Yellow Wallpaper in college. The way the woman progresses through the story, leading the reader to ask "is she really going mad?" It was delightful and frightening a the same time.

Last year, I mentioned my obsession with reading this story occasionally to my boss and she recommended Herland. Herland is delightful and appeals to the cultural anthropologist in me. The juxtaposition of two conflicting cultures as the characters try to reason which is superior i
Melinda
Nov 21, 2011 Melinda rated it did not like it
What can I say about Herland? I wish that I had skipped the first 60 pages. I like learning about the land more than the men's experiences in it. Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a reflection of her era and can brush over race while referencing it. Why weren't there any lesbians!? Seriously a land of only women and not one lesbian! This review is more about my frustrations than the actual content of the novel. I'll have to revisit when I can remember what I liked about it.
Sade
Jun 25, 2009 Sade rated it really liked it
WOW!!! This book REALLY took my imagination to another level. When I read this book, I was taking a course on reproductive techologies and frankly I was in awe of all the options the future seemed to hold... and scared too. This book took the traditional concepts of man and woman and threw it out the window. Who would have thought that a society of women could function so well and only dismantle with the appearance of man ::sarcastically speaking::
Dionne Seevers
Jan 26, 2013 Dionne Seevers rated it it was amazing
This is a life altering book for me, I need a copy because I gave it away and would like it for my library. The Yellow Wall-Paper was a college requirement and through further research into the life of Charlotte Perkins Gilman, I wanted to read Herland. There is something interesting about a matriarchal society. How would women survive without the structure and constant involvement of men? Herland takes it further...
Charlotte
Sep 30, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Yellow Wall-Paper and the poetry are wonderful, the other short stories are basically women-power from an ancient age (I would rate most of them as 3 or 2 stars but the rest is amazing)
Richenda
Apr 14, 2015 Richenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this!
Cody
Jul 22, 2010 Cody rated it liked it
Yellow Wall-Paper was pretty bangin but the rest of the stories are bland as all hell. Herland was a cool idea for its first few chapters but then continued to show little nuance for the rest of the thing. here's a coolass society of women, surely you can think of cooler things to say for 200 pages than 'it's perfect in every way'
Beetlebox
Jul 02, 2016 Beetlebox rated it it was ok
Great concept, but sadly was quite repetitive and became somewhat tedious.
Meg
Oct 04, 2009 Meg rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
Well written short stories and poems. Not male bashing, just glimpses of strong women during a time when that was frowned upon. Herland itself drags a little toward the end -- I'm glad the author mostly stuck with short stories. Many of the stories twist at the end, which is enjoyable. Worth a read.
Sareene
Mar 23, 2012 Sareene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Herland. It is hard to believe that it was written in the 19th century, especially Gilman's ideas on religion and socialism. Of the short stories, Yellow Wallpaper is still my favorite. There were a few that I really enjoyed, but I'm not one for short stories. I always want more.
Heidi
Mar 16, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heidi by: book group
A Utopian vision of the perfect world that women would create were it not for the aggression and competetiveness of men. Okay, it's very biased, but it is a beautiful vision and an interesting read, particularly if you consider the time period in which it was written.
Lucy Burnett
Sep 27, 2011 Lucy Burnett rated it liked it
The book was obvious in its references to socialism and challenging the social norm of Gilman's time. I read it for my Great Lives and Works class and it wasn't the best I've read in school but it most certainly wasn't the worst either.
Nif
May 28, 2008 Nif added it
I'm reading this slowly. I'm pretty sure it will take me some time to get through it, but I don't mind taking the time to digest it. So far, I like her style, and the story (while obvious in places) is entertaining.
Cheri
Jun 06, 2008 Cheri rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite utopian writings, Herland imagines the victorian world if women were in charge. The Yelllow Wallpaper is also another favorite - CPG vividly describes the descent into madness.
  • Great American Short Stories
  • Great Short Works
  • Life in the Iron Mills and Other Stories
  • Great Short Works
  • Pussy, King of the Pirates
  • Renascence and Other Poems
  • Prude: How the Sex-Obsessed Culture Damages Girls (and America, Too!)
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • Deerbrook
  • The Norton Book of Women's Lives
  • Right Wing Women
  • Refusing to be a Man: Essays on Sex and Justice
  • Bachelor Girl: The Secret History of Single Women in the Twentieth Century
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and non fiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and lifestyle. Her best remembered work today i ...more
More about Charlotte Perkins Gilman...