Start by marking “The Adventurer's Handbook: From Surviving an Anaconda Attack to Finding Your Way Out of a Desert” as Want to Read:

What makes a good explorer? Adaptability, ambition, stamina, self-confidence, curiosity, optimism, authority—and fund-raising ability. Though few of us will ever have to face a charging elephant, or survive solely on penguin stew, when it comes to project management, crisis aversion, or any number of everyday problems, there is much we can learn from the larger-than-life t ...more
Published October 12th 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventurer's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventurer's Handbook

Mags Duncan
Nov 05, 2013 Mags Duncan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took this book to bed with me and expected to read just a little each evening. I read half of it on the first evening! It is packed with interesting facts and is a very easy and entertaining read.

Humorous little insider nuggets of information, sit well alongside some serious stuff. I read some parts aloud to my Other Half, like the part about a starving group of explorers who would dream about food and recount their dreams to each other. Two of the group always seemed to get their food in thei
April
Jul 08, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Armchair Travelers/Mountaineers
Shelves: nonfiction, survival
The Adventurer's Handbook was an unexpected delightful read. If you are like me, an armchair mountaineer, then you will love this book too. I know I will never scale Everest, or K2 or even something more local and manageable, but I sure do like to read about people who do these amazing feats of athleticism. The Adventurer's Handbook is more of a history of "gentleman expeditions" how they were organized, funded, equipped, and carried through. The book is divided in five main sections: Getting St ...more
josh
Dec 21, 2014 josh rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Armchair adventurers
Recommended to josh by: Shelf @ UAPL
A solid read that encompassed a great many 'classic' journeys of the golden age of exploration - from the late 18th century until the middle of the 20th (with the tale of the 1996 Everest disaster thrown in as a case study).

As expected, a number of the cases are very abridged and reading some of the source material might be preferable; regardless, it was an enjoyable, whirlwind tour through time and around the world to some of the most inhospitable locales on the planet.
Dustin
Sep 11, 2011 Dustin rated it liked it
Shelves: pulp, handbook
It was an interesting cross between a how-to guide and history text. It gave advice using practical examples from history as well as little excerpts from advice books of the period. The book spends far more time on explorations of extremely clod areas and on mountain climbing that I was expecting when I picked it up, but the author admits as much in the first chapter, and the book was still an interesting read.
Danae
Jul 12, 2016 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really easy & fun read. I loved it for lunch breaks at work, and used it as a jumping board for other books I wanted to read in the genre (Kon Tiki was one of them...so good!)
Jared Gallant
A more interesting read than I expected as I received the book as a gift. The stories are presented in a straight forward and factual manner but with a humorous twist.
Brett
Brett rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2011
Vinny Dasilva
Vinny Dasilva rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Pamela Bellarose
Pamela Bellarose rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2012
John-alan
John-alan rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2011
Taner
Taner rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Noah Bourdeu
Noah Bourdeu rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Sgriffin
Sgriffin rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
John R. Owens
John R. Owens rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Angie
Angie rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Louise Groom
Louise Groom rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
David M.
David M. rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2017
Alessandro Vicenzi
Alessandro Vicenzi rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Lydia
Lydia rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2014
Amy :)
Amy :) rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Isaac Docherty
Isaac Docherty rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2017
Ryan Stowinsky
Ryan Stowinsky rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2011
James Kenna
James Kenna rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Mick Conefrey is the author of the award-winning Adventurer’s Handbook and How to Climb Mont Blanc in a Skirt. An internationally recognised filmmaker, he has produced several BBC documentaries on mountaineering and exploration, including The Race for Everest. He lives in north Oxford with his family.
More about Mick Conefrey...