Start by marking “Anne Bradstreet (Christian Encounters Series)” as Want to Read:
Anne Bradstreet  (Christian Encounters Series)

Anne Bradstreet (Christian Encounters Series)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  22 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Christian Encounters, a series of biographies from Thomas Nelson Publishers, highlights important lives from all ages and areas of the Church. Some are familiar faces. Others are unexpected guests. But all, through their relationships, struggles, prayers, and desires, uniquely illuminate our shared experience

When she arrived in the New World at eighteen, Anne Bradstreet wa
Published August 16th 2010 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Anne Bradstreet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Bradstreet

Sarah Oyerinde
Mar 05, 2011 Sarah Oyerinde rated it liked it
This biography highlights the life of Anne Bradstreet, a Puritan poet/writer/wife/mother, as she and her family migrate to and dwell in New England in the early and mid 17th century. The biography is especially adept in portraying how Anne was ahead of her time in intelligence as a woman, in the midst of her humble devotion to Jesus Christ, to her husband, and to her duties as a mother.

As an English teacher, I felt this biography was useful in highlighting the life of an important author in the
Sela
Oct 02, 2010 Sela rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-own, review
After reading the description, I was excited to read this book. However, it did not live up to my expectations. The book is full of facts and factoids about the era in which Mistress Bradstreet lived, but had little information about her as a person or about her poetry. The book has information about where she lived and what was going on around her as far as politics and general challenges facing the settlers of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. It has a little about the Puritan religion, but is als ...more
Kristine Coumbe
Aug 23, 2010 Kristine Coumbe rated it really liked it
I was excited to read a book about a woman from colonial Massachusetts who was a Puritan and poet. Anne's marriage is an arranged one. She was reluctant to leave her home in England for the New World; but, did so as a dutiful wife and daughter.

Anne loved to write poetry but knew it was forbidden so she hid her talents as she helped build her Puritan community. Meanwhile, Anne's poems did not go unnoticed, her brother-in-law copied her poems then gathered those copies to take with him on his trip
Coyle
Jul 21, 2011 Coyle rated it really liked it
In this short biography, D.B. Kellogg never says that Anne Bradstreet fought off a pack of angry bears with an axe while surrounded by chanting Native Americans in war paint, but she might very well have written a poem about it...

The difficult thing about writing a biography about someone like Anne Bradstreet is often how little information has come down to us. And when biographers don't know a lot about the person, they are often tempted to use general information about the time period as fille
Dominique
Oct 14, 2010 Dominique rated it really liked it
I love Anne Bradstreet, thus, my reasoning for choosing this particular book.

One of the things I fell in love with this book is the author's choice to tell the story of Anne Bradstreet through story telling.

Instead of cold hard facts, and the details of history that one often forgets, the author chose to share Bradstreet's life with the reader through story telling, thus, inviting the reader into the very fabric of Anne's life.

This enabled me to feel as if I were there with Anne during that epoc
Jeannie
Jun 17, 2014 Jeannie rated it liked it
A small, fascinating exploration of one of America's first female poets. I found myself finding much in common with this Puritan writer as she searched for meaning in her faith, and her roles as mother and wife.
Feb 06, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
I think that this book would be better titled "The World of Anne Bradstreet," as there was so much information stored away in this book; not all of it seeming to have much to do with the life of Anne. I learned a whole lot about the Puritans and the way that they lived. The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the way that the author seemed to jump around from date to date. Maybe I just wasn't paying good enough attention.
Aderinn
Aderinn marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Raye Anderson
Raye Anderson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Haley
Haley added it
May 16, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Stephani
Stephani rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
The Birdwells
The Birdwells marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Elisha Bulson knudsen
Elisha Bulson knudsen marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Raye
Raye marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Cathryn Dolly
Cathryn Dolly marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Anita Book
Anita Book marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Andrewsmiths
Andrewsmiths rated it really liked it
May 15, 2013

Christian Encounters Series (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Saint Francis
  • Galileo
  • Isaac Newton
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Saint Patrick
  • Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Saint Nicholas
  • John Bunyan  (Christian Encounters Series)
  • D. L. Moody (Christian Encounters Series)
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky (Christian Encounters Series)