Start by marking “Secrets” as Want to Read:
Secrets

Secrets

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  5,007 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
Librarian note: an alternate-cover for this edition can be found here.

Danielle Steel, America’s number-one best-selling novelist, has held millions spell-bound with such novels as Family Album, Full Circle, and Changes. But with Secrets she takes her readers beyond the tightly knit world of the family, into the heart of the nation’s most glamorous industry: television.

Her
Published October 1st 1986 by Dell (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets

Nick Stewart
The real secret here is how a novel with so many run-on sentences beginning with an 'and' or a 'but' ever made it through the editorial process. But, it was a fairly entertaining read. And, it had all the hilarious tropes Steel crams into her novels. And, yes, all her characters overcome their various tragedies and Find The Courage To Love Again. But, you really wouldn't expect anything less.
Molly
Feb 04, 2011 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maya Speight
Aug 11, 2015 Maya Speight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel has done it again. She did it again! I have always been a fan, so I knew what to expect but wow! Applause are in order. Secrets was a great book. For me, a great book is one that keeps me interested and has a satisfying end. This one does both phenomenally. I will warn you that this book has some mature subject matter. I would advise you only read this if you are mature enough to read scenes of a sexual nature and one of the main characters experiences some mental and sexual abuse ...more
A very dated book. While some 80's references (Perrier! Giorgio!) made me smile, some of the 80's attitudes, specifically toward the gay community, made me cringe.
Otherwise, it held my interest but felt a little uneven.

However, if you're in the mood for a soapy, glitzy 80's escape, give it a try. It's a pleasant evening's read.
Sophie
Mar 17, 2014 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014
Words cannot explain how in love I am with this book, I literally cannot stop thinking about it. I have never read a book that had characters that were so different yet fit together with ease. I do not know how Danielle Steel does it, but I hope she never stops.
Linda
May 31, 2017 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Steele's better books. Not as predictable and not as repetitive. Having many main characters made the book more interesting. Each character had an unhappy secret passed and each finds happiness and support from each other.
Jen Lynn
May 19, 2017 Jen Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2017-reviewed
One word to describe this book: cheesy. It wasn't bad necessarily, but it was just too over the top, lifetime movie like for my taste. Not memorable for me, and the characters were not very likable. It was just "ok" for me.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
Couldn't wait for each new Danielle Steel book.
Debbie
May 31, 2017 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story line with twists and turns. Very easy read.
Mary
May 03, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Secrets by Danielle Steel is the behind the scenes story of a one-of-a-kind prime time television series. This story features all the drama that surrounds the creation and development of a major hit television series. Now America's number-one best-selling novelist, Danielle Steel, takes her readers from the intimacies and intricacies of family relationships, into the glittering heart of the nation's most glamorous industry: television.

When Melvin Wechsler first conceived the idea of a television
Lara Sean
Feb 13, 2015 Lara Sean rated it it was amazing
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2 STARS

"Sabina Quarles at forty-five has managed to maintain–by dint of spunk and surgery–the body of an eighteen-year-old. Tough, spirited, and self-sufficient, she has survived twenty years in Hollywood, never marrying, never quite succeeding, never deigning to work in television. Yet Manhattan may bring her both the stardom she craves–and the security her very special needs require.

Jane Adams is an earthy thirty-nine-year-old beauty. Devoted to her children, dominated by her abusive and viole
Julie Barrett
Jan 16, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Secrets by Danielle Steel
Scenes from the background of not only a TV show but from both coasts.
Sabina Quarles is the movie star that came to be from her work up the ladder.
She meets with Mel Welscher, the director who had lost his whole family and just focuses on work, a new TV series that would run forever.
Bill Warwick is desperate and has done some commercials but his wife-that nobody knows of after her last job she neglected to pursue work and turned to drugs. He's worked 10 years doing comme
Dee Cyr
Feb 13, 2017 Dee Cyr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!!
Marjo
The flow of the story was a little strange to me, and might have been improved by spending more time talking about the emotional development of the characters and less about their sartorial development. (Fancy way of saying that the author spent too much time talking about what the characters were wearing, in my opinion.)

I would have liked more depth from the characters, and for their stories to feel more connected, or at least interwoven better. The whole narration felt very episodic, "this ch
Laurie
Sep 24, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Secrets is a complex character study, 6 people with intricate detailed histories and everybody is guarding a secret, except one. It is interesting to see how one person's secret affects another and yet other times where the secret is more mortifying to the holder while others think of it as inconsequential.

This is a powerful plot that reflects how our past and present situations help to shape us into the people that we are today. There is also a subtle lesson that sometimes we can think that w
Pri
Sep 01, 2012 Pri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults, Adults
Recommended to Pri by: Friend
The most intriguing book ever! I seriously couldn't bare to put this down for once. My friend brought it to school one day and I was like, why not try it out? I didn't fall in love with the cover, and I usually DO judge a book by it's cover at times, but then I got to reading it during the boring periods, and I found myself really starting to like this book. And the title describes the book perfectly. Danielle Steel keeps you hooked till the very end, and all the characters have their own person ...more
S.J. Francis
Nov 20, 2015 S.J. Francis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my most favorite Danielle Steel novels. A tale of secrets amongst the Hollywood industry, Steel delves into each character's life to reveal their inner workings. If you think that every actor/actress is famous and rich, you'll soon see in these pages that is just not so.
The pace is steady and the pages turn quickly. Whether you're a fan of Steel or not, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't enjoy this one. Unlike most of her other books, this one doesn't hang around at the be
Charity Yoder
Aug 01, 2013 Charity Yoder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i FREAKIN love this book, save most of the stuff that goes on in it. even though i sometimes wonder why certain sentences are placed where they're placed (in all of her books, not just this one), it comes off ok. but what i really enjoyed was the storyline. everyone had secrets, and not just small ones, either. how they managed to hide them from the media, i don't know.
was it slightly cheesy? yeah. was the development not fully there? probably. was it a bit predictable? deff. like come on... th
Megan
Oct 23, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steel never fails. I had a hard time putting this one down, as I did with her last book. You come to really like these characters--Zack, Jane, Gabby, Bill, Mel, Sabina. Even when they're not nice, you STILL like them and feel for them. You become invested in their lives; and even after the book ended, I was wondering, "Well...where are they now?!!?!" I didn't want to let go.

As is signature of Steel, Secrets is a dramatic page turner. The ending was a little anticlimactic, which surprised me, esp
Yurika  Nurmala Dwiyanti
May 19, 2014 Yurika Nurmala Dwiyanti rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiksi-terjemahan
Dua kali aku membaca karya Danielle Steel, dan aku putuskan ini buku karyanya yg terakhir aku baca.

Bukannya aku tdk suka dengan novel genre roman, tapi cara Danielle menuliskan cerita2nya selalu mengingatkanku dengan opera sabun di tv atau kalau di Indonesia sejenis sinetron2 gitulah. Dangkal dan terlalu mellow. Dan aku tidak suka dengan karakter tokoh2 (terutama tokoh utamanya)dlm cerita2nya yg selalu digambarkan gadis cantik yglemah, teraniaya, dan penuh air mata.

Cukup 1 bintang sajalah utk b
Meryl
Sep 27, 2012 Meryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex
Feb 08, 2017 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
I enjoyed this book all the way to the end. It was like it just stopped.So that was disappointing
Asra Ghouse
This was the first Danielle Steel I'd read (if I remember correctly)
At that time I found it really an obvious sort of story with decorated characters. Soon I found out that is the only thing one can read about in a Danielle Steel.
Anyway, Secrets leaves a stupid smile on the reader's lips as the book ends.
WTH! Just read it if you have lots of time to kill.
Carrie Cuevas
Mar 06, 2008 Carrie Cuevas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I "borrowed" this book from my mom when I was in 4th grade because she said I couldn't read it. I read it and was fascinated by the adults and their lives. This is the book that got me started on romance novels. I can't really read Steele anymore because all of her books are so formulaic. All rich beautiful and powerful woman who fall in love.
M Yearwood
Typographical Errors

The hard copy of the book had no typographical errors. It is quite disappointing to purchase an e-book from a popular author that has these mistakes. Where are the proof readers? The story was that of a typical Danielle Steele, struggles, disappointment and love overcoming adversity.
Daniela
Jun 14, 2014 Daniela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I start this by saying that I don't, in general, like Danielle Steel. But this wasn't her typical woman alone faces horrible childhood and overcomes. It is an ensemble piece and each character has an interesting back story. If you only read one by her, make it this one.
Cathie
Oct 17, 2010 Cathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I inadvertently read this for the 2nd time. This was an easy read and the characters were a little more likable than many of Danielle's characters (in other words, these folks were far from perfect). However, I won't be reading it a third time.
Erica
Oct 21, 2012 Erica rated it liked it
I remember the character names but not much about the book itself. Must have been pretty good if I remember the names! The movie was good.

Nascha
Apr 30, 2009 Nascha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book back in high school and I must say it was my favorite book by Danielle Steel thus far. It is a little like a Jackie Collins book, and maybe that's why I like it. Still, it was a good read. I recommend it those for a summer reading.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Secrets 1 1 Nov 20, 2012 03:23AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper  (At His Service, #1)
  • Random Hearts
  • Evidence Of Blood
  • A Woman's Place
  • The Rule of Four
  • The Way We Were
  • Happy Are the Merciful (Blackie Ryan, #4)
  • Trading Places
  • The Friends
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...