Start by marking “Marsupial Sue Book and CD” as Want to Read:
Marsupial Sue Book and CD

Marsupial Sue Book and CD (Marsupial Sue)

Marsupial Sue Book and CD
Published September 1st 2001 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

Karen
May 14, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
Another good rhyming book read when my kids were younger
Chris
Dec 07, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: songs
Appropriate Grade Level: K-2

Summary: John Lithgow sings this song. Sue doesn't like being a kangaroo so she goes around trying to be other animals. All of her attempts end up hurting her, and by the end of the story she realizes that she likes who she is so she ends up being happy to be a kangaroo.

Review: I'm biased because I like John Lithgow. So automatically I love this. I think he has a great singing voice, and the kids I've played his songs and stories for respond well to him. I can't help
Tami
Mar 18, 2012 Tami rated it liked it
Perhaps better known to adults for his stage and screen work, actor John Lithgow has an amazing body of work for children. His picture books are some of my (and my children’s) absolute favorites!

Topping the list for me is The Remarkable Farkle McBride. The story centers around a young boy who is a musical prodigy. He is able to master instrument after instrument with ease, but throws each one away as he becomes bored with it. Through an unfortunate illness on the part of the orchestra conductor
Vivian
Aug 24, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Marsupial Sue thinks being some other animal would be best. After trying out different animal traits with Sue try setting up an "Outback Obstacle Course" as an extension activity.

Our inspiration and coloring sheets came from the Sept./Oct. 2000 issue of Copycat magazine. The course included a Koala Climb, a Platypus Race, an Emu Run, a Crocodile Road Race, a Kookaburra Belly Laugh, an Echidna Roll, and a Kangaroo Hop.

The kids collected their "Walkabout Trail Mix" treat as they finished their cra
Meghan Brennan
Nov 16, 2015 Meghan Brennan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-emotional
This book tells the story of a kangaroo named Sue. Sue is unhappy being a kangaroo because the hopping around hurts her head and back, so she tries to find other animals she could live with instead. Sue tries to live with the Koalas but she gets hurt falling out of a tree. She attempts to live by the sea with the platypus’ but ends up becoming sick with Typhoid, pneumonia, colic and gout. Sue ends up realizing that she’s happy with who she is. This book emphasizes the importance self-love and be ...more
Deb Jones
Feb 11, 2014 Deb Jones rated it liked it
In The Runaway Pancake, a pancake stars in his own play which is reminiscent of the gingerbread man. The illustrations depict the story as a theatre production, but elaborates on the adventure of the Runaway Pancake with detailed drawings and humorous characters. Although young children will enjoy the repetitive chants and predictable storyline, the dialogue can become wordy at times, which may not be suitable for young readers. The rich colors and vivid drawings are very entertaining and add pe ...more
Mary
I love John Lithgow--his humor and love come through in the text of this book. It is about a kangaroo who doesn't like who she is--she tries out all kinds of other creatures' lives, but finds out that she really does like being a kangaroo and embraces who she is. It is a great story for kids who are learning about how to be who they are and how to be happy with who they are. The pictures are great, too! It would be better to read to one or a few children, but would not be great for a read aloud.
Dolly
Nov 23, 2008 Dolly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Interesting story about a young kangaroo that teaches a lesson on liking who you are, and not trying to be someone you aren't. The CD is narrated by John Lithgow in his inimitable voice. Our girls liked this book a lot. They sing the song all of the time, and ask to borrow the book from the library frequently. Our girls also enjoyed watching this book read aloud on the Tumblebooks website (www.tumblebooks.com).
Chelsea Hall
Jul 18, 2012 Chelsea Hall rated it really liked it
Marsupial Sue is a story of a Kangaroo who is unhappy being herself. She goes on adventures and explores the lives of other animals around her trying desperately to fit in. Will she fit in with the platypus or the koalas? The lesson that Marsupial Sue truly needs to learn is to "Be happy with who you are. Don't ever stray too far from you." Will Marsupial Sue learn that lesson or will she spend the rest of her life trying to fit in?
Lauren
Marsupial Sue doesn't like to hop around. So she hangs from the trees like koala bears, but falls out of the tree. She sleeps with a platypus in the ocean and gets sick. Plays with the wallaby, but realizes she is happier just being a kangaroo.

Great for writer's workshop about things they can do that make them unique and different from others in the class.
Feb 27, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My whole family likes this book! The book itself is cute and a good story about being happy with who you are. The accompaning CD is even better than the book! The story is sung as a waltz, and it is so catchy, I can't get it out of my head! I find myself singing or humming it all the time! We are definitely going to check out more books by John Lithgow.
Alicia
Feb 23, 2010 Alicia rated it liked it
I wish that there was more depth to the story about accepting who you are. While Kangaroo Sue learns to love herself, her transformation seems sudden and without real reason.

I also wish I knew how to read music so that I can sing the song in the back of the book (although that would probably scar my kids for life).
Robert
Mar 31, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
A cute enough little story. There is some nice language here. I kept envisioning my fourth graders reading this, yet I think some of the words would stump them. The message is clear: be happy with who you are. In other words, $640 million lotteries are not needed to make one happy. ;)

The illustrations here are really cute and add to the story, which is told in rhyme.
Jim
Jun 11, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austrailia, rhyme
cute book about a kangaroo that wants to be anyone other than a kangaroo. only one forced rhyme. kinda bothered by the moral, "be happy w/who you are" doesn't suggest self improvement. and if you regard yourself as a failure? be happy w/that. Jack E Davis, no mention of him being the Mad artist, draws odd looking kangaroos.
Dee
May 27, 2011 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Just be who you are and hop on with your bad self. CD included with John Lithgow singing. A very catchy little waltz. Marsupial Sue, A lesson or two: Be happy with who you are. Don't ever stray too far from you.
Nicole Bell
From this book children should learn the importance of being themselves. The repeated lines “Be happy with who you are. Don’t ever stray too far from you.” will serve as an encouragement and reminder. These lines are also included in the song on the CD.
Susan
Jan 10, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Another John Lithgow masterpiece. Great for young children. I could read this over and over. It comes with a CD. You have to listen to the CD. John tells the story to a bunch of kiddos. Kindergardeners love this book.
Jess
May 04, 2010 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I don't know how I feel about this. The catch phrase of the book translated to 'you're a kangaroo, don't try to be anything else'. I can see how one side can be 'be happy with how you are', but the other side 'you can't be anything but what you are' is debatable.
Heather
Feb 16, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
The best part of this set is the CD- John Lithgow singing 'The Runaway Pancake'. The illustrations, although quite beautiful, are a little cluttered for the storyline, but the performance is simply marvelous.

Traci
Mar 10, 2010 Traci rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a charming book about a kangaroo, who is dissatisfied with being a kangaroo. The rhyme is much more meaningful with the inclusion of the CD with the author singing the "Marsupial Sue" song. The song, in this case, really makes the book!
Tiffany
Jul 10, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This is a darling book with a lesson about being content with who we are. A lesson that is important for people of ALL ages. Be sure to get the copy with the accompanying CD, it has a cute song that tells the story as well.
Angie
Aug 13, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, ebooks
Marsupial Sue is tired of being a kangaroo. She tries out other animals before she decides being a marsupial is just fine. John Lithgow narrates this fun book and his voice is perfect for children's books.

I watched/listened to this on Tumblebooks.
Jill
Sep 30, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with kids...or without
Recommended to Jill by: my sister
Shelves: children-s-books
Such a wonderful book! My sister sent this to my boys. It had the CD with it with John Lithgow, the author, singing the words to the book. It is so great and my kids love it! It's a favorite of the family!
It's all about being who you are and loving every minute of it! Wonderful book!
Me
Jun 06, 2011 Me added it
Reading picture books always comes off as cheating, So I rarely ever mark them down because I go through millions of new ones daily. This Lithgow is quite the hoot, so very so good.
Tiny Mendoza
Aug 02, 2013 Tiny Mendoza rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The message of the story goes a long way. Be true and love yourself for who you are! :)
Audrey
Oct 17, 2009 Audrey rated it liked it
my kids like this better than I did but we hadn't listened to the music yet....the music is really fun 8). If only I could remember the tune, singing it would be more fun than reading it!
Alena
Jan 03, 2016 Alena rated it really liked it
Good read aloud. Better to listen to audio CD. Marsupials, mammals, rhyming, be happy with who you are, the grass is always greener. Lesson idea: Pair with book Red: A Crayon's Story. PK-2nd.
Teegan
Sep 04, 2015 Teegan rated it really liked it
Kids love this book and we listened to the CD 400 times on the last road trip. It's now the soundtrack to my life. Fortunately, there are worse kids songs...
Margaret Behr
Sep 22, 2014 Margaret Behr rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
I like the premise of the story and it introduces new vocabulary, but it wasn't particularly great for storytime. Perhaps it would be more effective and enjoyable in a smaller setting.
Teresa Lansford
Jul 03, 2010 Teresa Lansford rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books for children ever made! Sue is trying to find contentment in life and has a lot of trouble finding it. The song is great. We sing it often around my house.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)
  • Do You Have a Hat?
  • Rap A Tap Tap
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Unlovable
  • Tadpole Rex
  • The Music Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #8)
  • The Carnival of the Animals
  • Crocodile Beat
Photo taken by David Shankbone
More about John Lithgow...

Marsupial Sue (2 books)
  • Marsupial Sue Presents "The Runaway Pancake"