Start by marking “The God Patent” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When electrical engineers Ryan McNear and Foster Reed co-authored two patents for company cash incentives, they thought it was all just a joke. One described the soul as a software algorithm and the other described the Big Bang as a power generator.

But when the company crashes, McNear finds himself divorced, desperately hard-up, and estranged from his son. As he rebuilds h
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The God Patent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Patent

Richard Scott
Last month, Ransom Stevens, who holds a Ph.D. in Particle Physics, came to speak to us at the Fremont Area Writers Club. He spoke about his novel, "The God Patent", addressing both how the book was written, and what processes he went through to get it published. He was one of the more precise speakers we have enjoyed at our monthly club meetings.

Stephens' first novel, The God Patent, while being an excellent read, it is also, in my opinion, something of a textbook in getting a story across.

Let
Ed Miracle
I love books that stretch my brain cells while they engage my emotions, and God Patent fits this to a tee. Not a relgious/secular polemic, not Science Fiction, but a wonderful exploration of real science bumping up against matters of the heart and soul in a fast-paced contemporary story. And how can you not love a con-man named Dodge?
Josh Dubs
Richard
The author gave a talk on experimental physics and the contributions of the under-acclaimed Emmy Noether at one of the local Science Cafés. The chat was a bit too dense to accumulate all at once, but helped clarify contemporary physics somewhat. Featured — and quite intriguing — was the role of Noether's theorem in the exploration of symmetry and the derivation of... er... the laws that are, uh, implied? By that symmetry. Or something. Gauge theories were also mentioned, and we ended up with Hig ...more
Jeannine
Ransom Stephens writes a compelling and entertaining novel that mixes major philosophical issues with everyday family and relationship problems.

Newly employed physicists Ryan McNear and Foster Reed spend an afternoon tossing off a couple of patent applications for the bonus money. Years later, broke and laid-off, Ryan flees to Northern California hoping to leave his divorce and bankruptcy problems in Texas. In his new home, he also finds a new family, a new job, and a whole new set of problems..
T
Very interesting book. I found the abundant talk of quantum physics somewhat daunting, but interesting. The back and forth of science and religion, and the truth behind creation was fascinating. I did really like the characters that were well developed and very real, i just wish more time was spent on them, and a little less on the attempts to explain the physics aspects.

The author did a great job of connecting the reader to the lives and emotions of the characters and their plights. Unfortunat
Andrew Dugas
I loved the mish-mash of science and religion. Bible-thumping computer geeks? Whodathunkit? Better yet, both the science AND the scripture rang true. Stephens seems to have a grasp on both and better yet, a potential point of intersection. The term "proof of principle" will stay with me for a long time.

The plot kept me reading; I simply could not put it down. I had to find out where it was going, and the author did not disappoint me. Stephens artfully weaves his tale and shows great skill as a s
Linda C.
Ransom Stephens has woven an engaging tale that examines how the issues of faith, religion and science interconnect. Physics is explained via dialogue in a manner which translates complex ideas into accessible information.

The storyline moves quickly without dragging and the characters are vivid. I found many passages to be laugh out loud funny and I was also brought to tears. What else can you ask for on a novel?
Ed Morawski
The God Patent
How do you describe this book? In what genre would you place it? It's not science fiction exactly, but it's fiction and has a lot of science. It's not really a mystery or a thriller but certainly has some of those elements. Romance, no - but there is a nice one contained therein. Legal maybe, because it kind of uses that as a framework. Religious / Christian - well it has that at its core and raises some interesting issues on both sides... I wouldn't want to paint it with the damni
Patricia
When electrical engineers Ryan McNear and Foster Reed coauthored two patents for company cash incentives, they thought it was all just a joke. One describes the soul as a software algorithm, and the other described the Big Bang as a power generator.

This book has a science/consciousness angle. You can tell that the author spent time as a particle physicist. The results are that the books feel authentic. They also keep the cast of characters to a handful. Engaging and real characters mixed up in
Natalie
A many layered journey for the characters and the reader - archetypes and everyday human situations blend to make a story bigger than a single individual's struggle yet at the same time deeply personal .
Adam Turoff
2.5/3, rounded up to 3 starts with the benefit of the doubt.

Decent thriller that blends physics, engineering, law, religion, troubled heroes and divorce. Too many themes to tackle in a single story, and the story does go off the rails a few times. Some diversions (like both descents into meth) are attempts to add depth to the characters, but don't really help the story, and are a little too gratuitous.

The premise is muddled, and gets more muddled the story unfolds, especially as it leans more he
J R
Hard to believe this is author's first novel, the characters are so vivid and alive, and the reflections on science and religion are very well done. Deducted one star since the ending is less than perfect, the exchange between Foster and Dodge went too long and didn't advance the plot, it would also be nice if there's an epilogue. The final revelation about the soul is not well presented, I think the author is going after something like Greg Egan's Dust Theory in Permutation City, but the explan ...more
Meg
Enjoyable, but forgettable. The premise for this novel is great, but unfortunately the writing is a bit hit or miss. It's not terrible, especially for a first book, but it did detract from the overall effect. While some of the characters are spot on, others feel forced and disappointingly artificial.

Overall, I simply wanted more from this book. The concept and the characters are exciting and innovative, but the novel as a whole fell a little flat.

I will offer accolades for a realistic portrayal
Laura McHale Holland
The God Patent by Ransom Stephens is a fine book. I cared about the characters, especially the protagonist, Ryan McNear, and his unlikely cohort, 14-year-old Katarina. Most of the supporting characters were intriguing, too. And the little parts I didn't quite believe didn't much matter. It's a satisfying story, well told, and that alone would make the book worth reading. But it's more than that. It's a multilayered work, drawing on Stephens' scientific background, which rather than being intimid ...more
Jeff
Jul 22, 2013 Jeff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of fiction focusing on religion and science fiction
Recommended to Jeff by: No one
Shelves: sci-fi
The God Patent by Ransom Stephens tackles a subject that has been widely debated for hundreds, if not thousands of years – how do religion and science fit together. The main character, Ryan McNear, and his long-time and bible-thumping friend, Foster Reed, develop two patents that are based in technology, but mixed with a generous dose of Christianity. The patents were put together on a lark to gain bonuses from the company the duo worked for at the time. Unbelievably, the patents were approved. ...more
T.W. Fendley
I'm definitely a fan of Ransom Stephens. I got the Kindle version with Whispersync (both for about $6), and it's a good thing I did. I listened to the audiobook and now want to go back a re-read the last few chapters.

Beware -- your emotions will get a workout, but so will your mind. I love how Stephens tackles the creation paradox (creating something out of nothing)and the characterization was stellar. The writing style is like John Grisham meets Nicholas Sparks.
Ivan
Nice but ultimately unsatisfying. Spoiler ahead:

So the soul lives in the lives of those we've affected? Awesome, Stalin must be having a great time, while the lonely old man who lived down the block has no eternal life. I would have been frustrated, but more satisfied, if at the end we just don't get to find out what the hell Kat discovered.
Heather
Jun 07, 2015 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Kindle sale
Robert Kroese
I've been doing a lot of reading about quantum physics as research for the third book in my 'Mercury' series, and I downloaded The God Patent on a whim while waiting for Roger Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind. I'm very glad I did.

This is a remarkable book. It seamlessly integrates concepts from physics and math with a truly riveting, multi-faceted story. In a way, you could think of The God Patent as a mirror image of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: In the same way that Pirsig combine
Damon
Not bad

I struggled between three and four stars. my unexpected emotional response to the ending swayed me towards four. Trying to use scientific principles to explain God or the human soul is interesting for sure and I do not have the mathematical prowess to know how good of job the author did in his attempt.
Grey
An enjoyable read and some good food for thought. The ending wasn't entirely satisfying, but I suppose in a way that makes it more realistic, since life doesn't come wrapped up in a neat little bow. Philosophically speaking, I also would have preferred to see, well, I'm not sure exactly. Maybe I just would have liked to have seen the various views on the soul developed a little bit better. We saw Ryan's conclusions and beliefs pretty clearly, but it would have been interesting to see a bit more ...more
Deborah Leitch
I quite enjoyed the story line and became quite attached to the characters, especially Ryan and Kat. It was a new premise- linking a patent with creation of souls and developing a computer program to re-create souls. The underlying plot of an engineer attempting to repair his broken life and the relationships he forms along the way is great. My only criticism is that there was too much time spent on trying to teach physics to the reader and the same concepts repeated freauently so that the reade ...more
Gavin
The book was pretty good... although I think it was made better by the Brilliance Audio reader.

It started 2 stars... went rapidly to three stars.. then hit 4 stars... but unfortunately it went back to 3 stars with the ending. :-(
Jonathan
It's occasionally funny and always heartfelt and intelligent. Just the type of thing I like. Even the deeper wandering away from story into the science and philosophy behind the story seems integral.
Cherokee_shawnee
When I read the info on this book I was intrigued so I gave it a try. When I started reading, I was impressed. This book is fascinating and made me think for days about this book. My relatives are reading this and other book that Ransom Stephens wrote called "The Sensory Reception"
I would recommend "The God Patent", give it a try&you might be surprised ;)

p.s. I got this book free from giveaways
Sean Randall
Not as good or fluid a read as the other title released, but a worthy entry into the genre and a very good debut.
Layne
I decided to take a break from non-fiction and try this novel. It was enjoyable to read. He does a great job with the characters. I liked how he wove science and religion into the story. The end left me a bit deflated, but overall it was an enjoyable book.
Judy B.
The God Patent will shake you, whatever your beliefs or biases.

The action and tension pull you from one page to the next, and I've never met so many smart, witty female characters in a book written by a man. This is not a read that will send you searching your soul, but it will make you think and laugh and give you pause now and then. The relationships are fraught, but the questions the book raises are not. The story world is familiar and wacky and believable and it all matters without smacking
Nathaniel Robert Winters
The God patent was a mind challenging book. Ransom did a good job writing and the characters were interesting. Good science fiction always unveils society while questioning the norms. The God Patent meets this challenge.
  • Twin-Bred (Twin-Bred #1)
  • Damocles
  • The Survivors Club
  • The Alien Chronicles
  • The Far Time Incident (The Incident Series, #1)
  • A Calculated Life
  • Arboreatum
  • Uncaged
  • The Trinity Game (Daniel Byrne #1)
  • The Actuator: Fractured Earth
  • Nothing Is Negotiable
  • The Crucible of Time
  • Heaven 2.0
  • Connected
  • Tendrils of Life: A story of love, loss, and survival in the turmoil of the Korean War
  • The Novellas
  • Human Sister
  • The Immortalists
In my novels, I put interesting, fun, intense characters in a story built on a scientific premise. My first novel, The God Patent, came out in 2009 and was acquired and re-released by 47North in 2013. My second novel, The Sensory Deception, came out in August-2013.

The God Patent is built on quantum physics and The Sensory Deception is built on the relationship between the senses and the mind.

My b
More about Ransom Stephens...
Sensory Deception, The Your Pursuit of Greatness - A Workbook Your Pursuit of Greatness - a workbook

“Love is a verb. When it becomes a noun, it's over."

from "The God Patent" by Ransom Stephens”
0 likes
“if you love something, let it go; if it doesn’t come back, then simulate it in software.” 0 likes