Start by marking “H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror” as Want to Read:
H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror

H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"21 classics of the supernatural, chosen by the Master of Horror himself"--Cover.
Published May 6th 1996 by Barnes Noble (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about H.P. Lovecraft's Book of Horror

Kristopher
I bought this book on a whim in '97 or '98. While I never quite got around to reading it, I could never quite get rid of it either.

Finally, after reading Stephen King's N recently (which he said was inspired by Machen's story "The Great God Pan") I remembered that story was in this book, read it, then decided to finally read the rest. As with any anthology like this, it was a mixed bag. Some of the stories were slow and dull, some were clever, and a couple were genuinely scary.

But more than an
Peter
Only for the ill-at-mind
Julie Davis
Another anthology of tales Lovecraft highlighted in his Supernatural Horror in Literature essay. This is enough of a different selection that it is definitely worth owning also, if that's what you're into. And I am.

A bonus is that it has Lovecraft's entire essay as the first item in the book so you can read the whole thing for yourself before you begin the stories.
Robby
The best part of this collection is the witty series of introductory notes by H.P. himself, to each story. Rarely praising, more often chastising/criticizing the authors. Such a humble man :)
Shane
I've been reading this collection for more than 10 years now and finally decided to finish it. The last part of it that I read was Lovecraft's "Supernatural Horror in Literature" essay. It wasn't terrible but was mostly just plots of stories and novels told in short form with a bit of comment on each.

Of the 20 or so stories my favorites were:
Poe's -The Fall of the House of Usher-, Clark Ashton Smith's -
The Double Shadow-, Marion F. Crawford's -The Upper Berth- and Irvin Cobb's -Fishhead-. But I
David Breedlove
This book is filled with gripping and chilling short stories of horror. I was almost afraid to read the next word. I read like I was tip-toeing down a dark hallway, trying not to wake some sort of evilness. These stories will drudge up emotions in you that you didn't know you had. Before each story there are analysis of the story and author. This is not only a collection of horror stories but a collection of history of the influx of great writers in the late 19th century.
Brian
Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe ****
I read the House of Usher almost every year and I find something new every time. There is really great criticism about the vampiric relationship between the Usher siblings. Everyone should read this at least once.

The Damned Thing by Ambrose Bierce ***
I really like Bierce's writing. I felt this story could have used a bit more build-up of Morgan's paranoia. All-in-all it had an interesting premise.
Madkropotkin
I enjoyed this collection. You can definitely how these authors influenced Lovecraft's writing. There are stories where you could swear you were reading one of his. I really liked "The Foot of the Mummy" and "The Great God Pan" the best.

I learned three very important things from this book.
1. I need to learn more Latin.
2. I really like Gautier, Kipling, Machen and James.
and 3. Horror stories can be great pieces of literature.
Linda
Jan 01, 2013 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Recommended to Linda by: a writer
Shelves: recommended, fiction
21 horror stories written in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Authors include Dickens, Louis Stevenson, Gautier, De Maupassant, Poe, Bierce, Chambers, Kipling, Walpole and others. A diverse selection of style, narrative voice and structure within the genre are presented in this selection. Those interested in writing horror fiction should read this book to develop an ear for the genre.
Aaron Meyer
The stories contained in the book are from a variety of authors in the genre chosen by Lovecraft. Some of the stories struck me as well written but there were some which I found rather boring. But with the variety provided I am sure that there will be something for every horror fan.
Amy
This was a really fun read. I skipped the essay at the beginning, since I decided I'd rather read the stories than read about them. Some of the stories weren't great but they're all interesting to see how Lovecraft built his literary cannon.
Synchro
A great collection of stories by authors who influenced Lovecraft growing up as a child.
Great stuff that sent me seeking out writers I might easily have missed.
Elizabeth Bingham
Fabulous stories!! The selection was amazing...I loved them all...spanning all times and ages and countries...the book was a great read.
Marissa Wilk
A nice collection of many of the stories featured in HPL's "Supernatural Horror in Literature" essay. Nice to have them in one place.
Ingrid
I was reading this book off and on, some stories are good but with others the writing and/or story is too dated for me to enjoy.
Nicholas Hunter
HPL's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature" and a selection of short stories mentioned therein.
Kirk Johnson
Great short stories by old-school writers of the macabre.
Kathleen  Norwood
same review as the girl who threw butterflies
Kevin Moore
I like anything Lovecraft, so I liked this!
Brett
Anthology,Horror
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Clinton Dean Morrison
Clinton Dean Morrison marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • The Book of Cthulhu II
  • The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute To H.P. Lovecraft
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Haunter of the Dark and Other Grotesque Visions
Stephen Jones is an eighteen-time winner of the British Fantasy Award.
More about Stephen Jones...
Shadows over Innsmouth Clive Barker's A - Z of Horror Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1) The Art of Coraline The Mammoth Book of Zombies