Start by marking “The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)

The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  8,190 Ratings  ·  444 Reviews
Computational demonologist Bob Howard is catching up on his filing in the Laundry archives when a top secret dossier known as the Fuller Memorandum vanishes-along with his boss, who is suspected of stealing the file. And while dealing with Russian agents, ancient demons, and a maniacal death cult, Bob must find the missing memorandum before the world ends up disappearing n ...more
Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 323 pages
Published July 6th 2010 by Ace (first published July 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Fuller Memorandum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fuller Memorandum

Carly
**edited 12/30/13
Have you ever seen the xkcd comic about regular expressions? (If you don't read xkcd, you probably won't enjoy this book, so I'd advise skipping this review.)

Basically, the plot of The Fuller Memorandum is this comic strip, but in novel form and with an invasion of Lovecraftian beasties.

...
Due to my disapproval of GR's new and highly subjective review deletion policy, I am no longer posting full reviews here.

The rest of this review can be found on Booklikes.
Carol.
Jul 29, 2015 Carol. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of supernatural, spies, Lovecraft
Bob Howard is having a rough week. His boss has ordered him out to a distant airfield to deal with a supernatural containment issue and in the course of the exorcism, things go very awry. Placed on administrative leave, he’d be at loose ends–except that his boss Angleton gave him an assignment, deputized him for top-secret project BLOODY BARON and has subsequently disappeared. Within short order, his wife Mo is sent on a quick mission-CLUB ZERO–only to return shell-shocked. Even worse, the Russi ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Oct 24, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it really liked it
3.5

The book took its sweet time to grab my attention properly. No idea why.

Only after reading it (or, to be honest, somewhere in the last third) did I realize how insane and crazy good The Fuller Memorandum is. It is essentially a report on the Fuller Memorandum situation (an understatement).
As usual, Bob has to read a lot of old reports on whatever is relevant at the moment. The thing is, there is no actual case this time, so it takes time to move forward. More than half of the book Bob stumb
Chad Pilcher
Feb 13, 2012 Chad Pilcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
[MINOR SPOILERS]

In his Laundry Files series, Charles Stross has fun sending raw lumps of genre trope through his own literary Fun Factory. What extrudes out the other end is a tentacular tangle of homage comprising the pulpy horror of Lovecraft, the world-weary existentialism of the Cold War British espionage novel, and the cynicism and techie in-jokes of Simon Travaglia's "Bastard Operator From Hell" stories.

The Laundry Files detail the exploits of one Bob Howard, network sysadmin, field operat
Ben Babcock
It’s safe to say that the Laundry Files is my favourite of Charles Stross’ series. It’s starting to rank up there with the Dresden Files as far as urban fantasy goes. The two series have a lot in common: each book is a self-contained, madcap thriller with supernatural elements; while overall, the series mythology continues to grow and head towards some kind of apocalyptic climax.

In The Fuller Memorandum, Bob and Mo become tangled up in a plot by some cultists to steal Teapot, also known as the E
Brad
Such a beautiful thing to be the Eater of Souls. I truly enjoy departmental cockups in lit, and when it all goes pear-shaped, I go all teary-eyed. Maybe if I try to get on the fast-track, I, too, can be an immortal monster determined to defend the Upper-Middle-Class English Lifestyle. We can only hope.
Chris
Good paranormal thriller, leaning toward horror as Bob learns an awful lot about his boss after his boss goes missing. And then he has to deal with fanatical Elder Gods' cultists, leading to Bob's Very Bad, No Good, Completely Horrific Day.
Alan
Jan 11, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Occult enthusiasts with a mathematical bent
Recommended to Alan by: A high-level glamour
You will want to have read the first two Laundry novels—The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue—before picking up this third excursion into the eldritch horror of higher mathematics and computational conjuring. And I do mean that you will want to have read them, and in order; not only do those earlier works contain essential background, they're also cracking good yarns, and the world of the Laundry is one of the all-around neatest conceits I've ever run across.

Charles Stross hits all the r
C.T. Phipps
May 18, 2014 C.T. Phipps rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to give The Laundry series another try after being gravely disappointed with The Jennifer Morgue. I was intrigued in The Atrocity Archives by the possibilities of a Lovecraftian spy agency, particularly since I was a huge fan of Delta Green, but The Jennifer Morgue's parody of James Bond was shallow and uninteresting.

The Fuller Memorandum, by contrast, is a return to form and I appreciate it. It takes the premise of a Lovecraftian threat to the world seriously while simultaneously al
Mike (the Paladin)
Well the third in the "Laundry Files" series. I always vacillate on how to rate these. I mean they should almost have their own shelf(elves) titled "horror sort of" or "urban fantasy sort of". These are largely tongue in cheek novels played for comedy but they are told with an underlying serious tone. They aren't really satire nor are they parody as they aren't making fun of the genres. They go for a "kind of" (or "sort of") absurdest tone with a narrator relating the events that surround a "sec ...more
Michael Shelton
This was a solid entry in The Laundry Files series but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. The Cold War style of espionage didn't really interest me and this book has A LOT of that. However I did like it and will definitely continue with the series. This is a very unique universe where Lovecraftian Elder Gods threaten to invade our reality and it's the Laundry's job to make sure that doesn't happen. Since I have a degree in Math I particularly like the idea that magic is based on computa ...more
Kat  Hooper
Dec 02, 2014 Kat Hooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I just can’t get enough of THE LAUNDRY FILES. This series has almost everything I want in an urban SFF adventure — an intelligent hero with a wry sense of humor and a great voice; an eclectic supporting cast; a fast pace with lots of action and plot twists; a cool mix of fantasy and science fiction; occasionally odd (and interesting) structural choices; a reverence for geek culture; and a smattering of computer science, mathematics, quantum physics and neuroscience. And Lovecraft. I love it.

In T
Kam
Many people have their own personal indicators that tell them whether or not what they’ve got on their hands is something really good. For some, it’s how much they smile while they’re reading something, or playing a video game, or watching a TV show or movie; for others, it’s whether or not they cry at the end; for yet others, it’s a combination of both. Others might have somewhat more unusual indicators: I know of at least one person who knows they are reading something good if, from time to ti ...more
Colleen
Dec 26, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, horror, sci-fi
Stross writes sci-fi horror. At least, that's what the collection known as The Laundry Files novels are. And I love them.

The phrase "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" appears once or twice in his books, and seems to sum up his writing style. Bob, the main character in The Laundry Files, works in IT, has access to a pair of geniuses called Pinky and Brains (and if you don't get that reference you're too young, so go read something else), carries around an iPho
Konstantinos Georgokitsos
The Laundry novels are always fun to read. As always all hell breaks loose (literally of course) on our involuntary but in the end very successful hero. Every time I put a book of the series in my reading queue, I can barely wait to give Stross the opportunity to give my belly muscles laughing cramps. Already looking forward to the next book.
Janice
Apr 04, 2017 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, 2017
Well, this was a wild ride.

It's been a while since I read a book by Charles Stross. TBH, he kinda intimidates me. He's ferociousy intelligent (I follow him on Twitter too), and sometimes I feel a little lost trying to follow what he's writing about.

This book came up in a two-for-one Audible sale. I thought I'd see if he was a little easier to follow in audio. I think the answer is yes. The narrator was quite good, with different accents and voices to help keep the characters straight. He moved t
Dustin
Feb 06, 2017 Dustin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More good* clean** fun*** at The Laundry.

* For values of good that include allying with extraplanar skin-jumpers for the good of the Empire.

** For values of clean that include really a lot of recently and not-so-recently dead people. Bring hand sanitizer.

*** For values of fun that include depictions of atrocity, and inevitable, imminent apocalypse.
Adam O'Grady
Another fun instalment in the Laundry Files, this book is perfect for anyone working in a monolithic organisation, doubly so if you work in the IT sector of said organisation and practically required reading if you work in government.

Charming British humour and observational witticism meshed with Lovecraftian mythology and Kafkaesque bureaucracy, it continues a similar format to the earlier Laundry files series and while they're not required reading for enjoyment of this book, it does help expla
Ron
Jul 15, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So... Were back to Bob.

He still rocks.

That said, though, the Fuller Memorandum didnt hold my attention as much as the two first books. Well... Wait, thats not correct.

I didnt understand the Fuller Memo as well as I understood the previous works. Outlandish as the whole idea behind the Laundry books is (and if you still dont know about computational demonologists and advanced math turned into magic you really need to check out my previous reviews), the fact remained that I could follow every expl
Michel
Aug 30, 2015 Michel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Geen overduidelijke pastiche meer, zoals The Atrocity Archives en The Jennifer Morgue, maar gewoon een echt boek met echte personages die al eens geïntroduceerd werden. Op de wijze van een spionagethriller van Anthony Price.

Eens kijken hoe dat zit met de chronologie... yep, 't is wat ik dacht: er zitten een paar jaar voelbaar kwaliteitsverschil tussen dit en de voorganger.

Nog altijd geen grote literatuur, maar wel allemaal wat volwassener, had ik de indruk.

Bob Howard wordt op een ogenschijnlijk
Michael Burnam-Fink
Laundry series: James Bond, Cthulhu, and Dilbert walk into a showing of Monty Python and the Knights of the Holy Grail. You know the drill.

In this case, Bob is investigating top-secret Squadron 666 (nuclear armed Concordes and extra-dimensional reconnaissance) on behalf of his strange and terrifying boss Angleton when everything goes pear-shaped. A bystander is killed, Angleton disappears, and cultists and Russian Occult Intelligence agencies are chasing after something called The Eater of Souls
Duncan
It may be pointless reviewing this book other than to say, this is the third in the series, don't start here. Start with the Atrocity Archives and if you later end up here, you'll know why.

This was third and my least favourite so far of the Laundry files, and makes me worry a little that I've fallen into a Discworld type trap where the author has come up with a unique and initially interesting scenario, but then starts turning the handle to churn out the same novel again and again (Sorry Terry P
Christine
Sep 05, 2015 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book. I read the first two in the series one after the other (bam-bam) and couldn't wait to get started on this one.

I love the premise of the books - computational demonology secret service agents....

This one was just.... I don't know... too dark?

The first two was like a roller-coaster, tongue in cheek horror-satire... this one lacked the roller-coaster tongue in cheek aspects, I think. After a few chapters, where it already became apparent that Bob is not going to h
Skorgu
Jul 09, 2010 Skorgu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. Just fantastic. I loved The Atrocity Archives to an absurd degree, The Jennifer Morgue was good but the Roger Moore tone of parts left me cold. The Laundryverse is dark, the books should be too and Fuller goes straight down the rabbit hole wearing black eyeliner.
Claire
Jan 02, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hurrah - it turns out Charles Stross can write an entire book then stop. This was my favourite of the trilogy - someone else said it was their least favourite. It explains some of the things that have niggled me in the previous 2 books - why do Auditors care about paper-clips and who is Angleton for example. Not quite as many UNIX or maths jokes but I did like the implication that Apple products have a "glamour" so people want to buy them.
Great Old Ones, The Great Game, English Intelligence Services, and truly truly creepy violins. Shades of Hellboy. And OMFSM, THE London Necropolis Railway was a REAL thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_N....

GREAT bus book.

This was my first Laundry Files book. It stands up well to re-reading. It has become darker now that I have read more Lovecraft. And I appreciated more how Bob becomes the pretty princess.
Gary
Jun 09, 2012 Gary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first two books in the series much more than this one. I found myself skipping too many passages of prose describing the interface between hi-tech gadgets and wizardry. It was amusing for a while but I feel it's overdone in this one. There are some nice moments of course but not enough to carry the book. Time to write about something else Mr Stross, maybe take us back to quirky science fiction please.
John Carter McKnight
Surprisingly predictable plot, especially from an author known for his Byzantine complexity. The beginning's hilarious, but overall it's darker and drier than the previous Laundry Files novels. It felt much more like a generic thriller than the marvelous lunacy of the previous books. Still, the characters are terrific, and it's a quick, fun, if fairly average, read.
Matt Comstock
So far? Excellent Stross. On finishing, for some reason, I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two Atrocity Archives/Laundry books. In between I read Declare, a book that Stross mentioned had a similar plot to the stories he's written. That was not a funny book; much darker. The Fuller Memorandum reminded me of that one.
  • The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy
  • Declare
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Execution Channel
  • Surface Detail (Culture #9)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Hilldiggers (Polity, #2)
  • The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)
  • Degrees of Freedom
  • The Prefect
  • Yellow Blue Tibia
  • The Haunter of the Dark
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF
More about Charles Stross...

Laundry Files (8 books)
  • The Atrocity Archives (Laundry Files, #1)
  • The Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Codex (Laundry Files, #4)
  • The Rhesus Chart (Laundry Files, #5)
  • The Annihilation Score (Laundry Files, #6)
  • The Nightmare Stacks (Laundry Files, #7)
  • The Delirium Brief (Laundry Files, #8)

“Unfortunately it's also true to say that good management is a bit like oxygen - it's invisible and you don't notice its presence until it's gone, and then you're sorry.” 25 likes
“I wish I was still an atheist. Believing I was born into a harsh, uncaring cosmos – in which my existence was a random roll of the dice and I was destined to die and rot and then be gone forever – was infinitely more comforting than the truth. Because the truth is that my God is coming back. When he arrives I’ll be waiting for him with a shotgun. And I’m keeping the last shell for myself.” 22 likes