Hard Truth (Truth #2)

Hard Truth (Truth #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  876 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Two children who mysteriously disappeared twenty-one years ago are the last thing on Lorna Temple’s mind when she returns to her Pennsylvania hometown to sell the old family property in the wake of her parents’ passing. But instead of memories, the fields where Lorna grew up yield something utterly chilling.

All those years ago, when nine-year-old Melinda Eagan vanished on...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Dotti Elrick
This is the second book in the "Truth" series. I had previously read Mariah Stewarts "Dead" series and I'm discovering that even though all the books can be read as stand alone novels, she continues to put in little snippets from earlier books and bringing back former characters. I enjoy that aspect of her books.
As a child, Lorna Stiles' best friend, Melinda Eagan goes missing the night of her ninth birthday. There are no clues, no witnesses, she just vanished without a trace. Most of the peopl...more
Purple Iris
2.5. Nothing great and the last few pages feel like they were written when the author realized one of the mysteries hadn't been solved yet and she had to invent something to resolve it.
Jim
I plan on reading the next of the series, Dark Truth (third entry). That should express my level of enjoyment of this book. As with Cold Truth (first in series), this is a strong three star, or low four star.

This series has an interesting literary approach. In Cold Truth, the main storyline was carried by Cassandra Reilly and Rick Cisco, with Regan and Mitch as secondary characters. In this one, the main storyline centered on Lorna Stiles and Thomas Jefferson (TJ) Dawson, with (again) Regan and...more
Kathleen Hagen
Hard Truth, by Mariah Stewart. B-plus.
Produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Lorna Temple has arrived at her childhood home after her grandmother’s death to sell the house and distribute the belongings between herself and her siblings. But, no sooner does she arrive at the house than there is a chilling discovery on land that used to be part of her family’s farm. They find the bones of several bodies, all teenage boys. This brings into Lorna’s memory her childhood when her fri...more
Louise
A very good read. I'd read Mariah Stewart's other novels: "Dead Even, Dead Certain, Dead End and Dead Wrong" and found them exciting page turners. This newest "Hard Truth" was equally as captivating.

From back cover:

Two children who mysteriously disappeared twenty-one years ago are the last thing on Lorna Temple's mind when she returns to her Pennsylvania hometown to sell the old family property in the wake of her parents' passing. But instead of memories, the fields where Lorna grew up yield som...more
Nell
This book also started out a little slow, but by the time I get to this one, I was looking for it to be a little slow at the beginning. She does a good job of character building in the beginning of the novel. The reader really gets to know, Lorna, the main female character. There is a lot going on in the story for Lorna, but she seems to handle it pretty well and she tries to help someone less fortunate than she is. T. J. Dawson is a great character too although his character is a little less de...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Fantastico! My father in law introduced it to me since he was reading something else.

2 children who mysteriously disappeared 21 yrs ago is the last thing on Lorna's mind, since her mom died and wanted her ashes to be thrown in certain areas, while she is there and fixing the place up and donating certain things, dead bodies are being found in the back of her old property that was sold a while back.

All those years ago her best friend Melinda disappeared and not one explanation as to where she we...more
Marianne
I chose this book due to the "connected to the mysterious disappearance 25 years earlier of..." sentence that ensures I will either take to the register/download. Narrated by Anna Fields, who I think does a first-rate job, it's the story of a two missing children -- one of whose body suddenly turns up as ground is broken for a housing development several acres away from their home. There was small-town baloney (but not enough to make me give up -- THAT is another thing that makes me give up on t...more
Tim Gillen
The plot line in this book was particularly good. Complex, and engaging to the very end without the ending being revealed until you got there.

I listened to the audiobook version read by Anna Fields. The reading was all right, but not particularly goo on the male voices.
Shannon Clark
This one kept me guessing and second guessing and guessing....There were quite a few twists all the way to the end which I absolutely love in a mystery. Although I will have to say that I didn't side with the main character in her thinking sometimes-especially when she was practically giving up everything to help an old neighbor defend herself against an accusation. Yes, I know Lorna was doing what her mother would have done if she had still been alive, BUT....

I don't think you'll ever guess the...more
Diane
Lorna Temple returns to the family farm in Pennsylvania to settle her recently deceased mother’s affairs. Soon after she returns, a body of a neighbor, buried 20 years ago, is found on land that used to belong to her family. This boy was the brother of Lorna’s old friend who also disappeared many years ago. The mother of the two children is charged with the crime and Lorna feels compelled to hire a private detective, T. J. Lawson, to investigate. It was a fine read, moved along and told an inter...more
Kristin
Wow! Very surprise ending!
Holly Barnes
can't wait to find her other books, she is a good writer, thought I guessed it but I was wrong. A good read.
Rachel Tether
It was slow going. I'm not going to lie, I was kind bored. Lol The characters were very developed. This story felt very real.... As in there are no weird gaps In time or unexplained goings-on. The way they interacted with each other was normal, And the story is very believable. It's not a writing style that I'm used to, but the story was good. Still, I don't know if I will read much more from this author.
Kath
Liked the story, held my interest and was not so predictable. There were many that "could have done it". I would have liked to have seen a bit more character development, but still really enjoyed this one and will have to check out more by this author.

Decent read, about a 3, but with the wonderful narration of the late Anna Fields(5), I give this one a 4.
Darcy
I liked this one, liked how the farm played such an important part in the rest of things. I liked how Lorna teamed up with the PI, the writer, and the FBI guy. What I especially liked was the business the decided to start at the end. I really liked how we learned what happened to Meli at the end and can't fault her for the choice she made.
Kimber
I finished this book purely to discover the killer, because I absolutely could not get attached to the characters, or really the storyline. I felt no chemistry whatsoever between the main characters, and found the write style extremely sloppy and immature. Definitely not a recommended read, and I won't be checking out any of her other novels.
Kathy
Stewart is a spell binding author who can connect a mystery from the past to the present. This novel involves a loss of a friend years earlier that might be tied to the sudden unearthing of mass graves from the same time period. It is filled with questions and slowly releases the answers. I really enjoyed it.
Karen Syed
I enjoyed this installment of the series. Mariah Stewart touches on some tough topics, but her realistic characters and off beat sense of humor keeps the stories from being darkly overwhelming.

HARD TRUTH is a pretty darn good read and I look forward to the next book in the series!
Joyce McKune
Lorna went back home to clear up after her Mothers death. She woke up next morning to a commotion in the field behind the farm. The family has sold off a portion to pay for the mothers chemo and while excavating for a housing development, they uncovered a body.
Biba
I wasn't expecting to love this book, but I did. I loved Lorna and TJ´s storyline. Everything kind of came full circle at the end. Also, I'm loving Regan and Mitch's storyline too, and I'm glad that is not over yet. Looking forward to the next one in this series.
Sabrina
This was a good classic mystery. I really enjoyed it and actually, well it could just be me but I kept second guessing who the bad guy could be. I like a mystery that keeps me going until the end. I look forward to reading another one from this author.
Denise MacDonald
This was an interesting story but the author seemed to dwell on the insignificant details like where the coffee cups were located and the distance from the restaurant to the liquor store. If your okay with skipping over such details, it is worth the read.
Dev Singer
I liked this one, though not as much as the last one. The story wasn't particularly plausible - I mean, seriously. Mr. FBI is going to make someone's house his office and do all his work with them when he's supposed to be aiding the police?
There was something about finding the bodies of childhood friends buried on the main character's property that kept me interested. Lorna has guts and the desire to find out the truth ... which kept me hooked. Good read!
Rhea Folland
AM really enjoying this series
Ali
This is a good series, each book has a great twist. Careful though, they are all murder mysteries, but they all also have mushy romance in them so don't read if that puts you off.
Heidi
I really enjoyed this. The story line was interesting with a few twists that kept me intrigued. I also like the continuation of characters/plot lines from her last novel.

Joy
I had never read this author prior to Dead Even, but she is good! Great combo of drama, suspense, and even a little (just a little) bit of romance!
Liz
Another romance/thriller. Though this one was more romance than thriller. It is sort of a filler book until I can get back to the library…
  • The Hunt (Predator Trilogy, #2)
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Killing Her Softly (Griffin Powell, #5)
  • Merciless (Senseless, #2)
  • No Escape (Delta Force, #3)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
Mariah Stewart is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of twenty-six novels and three novellas and has been featured in the Wall Street Journal. She is a RITA finalist in romantic suspense and the recipient of the Award of Excellence for contemporary romance, a RIO Award for excellence in women's fiction, and a Reviewers Choice Award from Romantic Times Magazine. A three-time winner...more
More about Mariah Stewart...
Dead Certain (Dead #2) Mercy Street (Mercy Street, #1) Dead Wrong (Dead #1) Cold Truth (Truth #1) Last Look (Last #1)