Start by marking “Tau Zero (Coronet)” as Want to Read:
Tau Zero (Coronet)

Tau Zero (Coronet)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  7,247 Ratings  ·  382 Reviews
Voyage into the Unknown
The Time: twenty-third century. The people: fifty carefully-selected men and women, highly skilled in the mechanics of space travel. Their spaceship: the amazing Leonora Christine. And their mission?-to voyage across interstellar space to a distant planet. If all went well they would reach their destination and establish a new Earth colony. But two y
Published 1973 (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Tau Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tau Zero

Lyn
Dec 03, 2016 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anderson has in Tau Zero, more than any other book I have ever read or heard about, created a sense of unimaginable isolation and otherworldliness.

I am sure there is a list on Goodreads about books that must be read by a true science fiction fan, and Tau Zero by Poul Anderson should be on such a list.

Anderson was a physics major in college and this background provides a meaningful foundation for what is a great science fiction book. Perfect? No, there is some thin characterization (usually a fa
Stephen
This CLASSY SF CLASSIC concernimg a cadre of colonists setting sail to colonize a compatible star using an interstellar “Bussard Ramjet” is a superior sample of Hard science fiction. For those of you unsciencey/non nerdy types who are unfamilar with what a "Bussard Ramjet" is, I have put together the following DETAILED explanation which should explain everything:
Photobucket

....make sense?.....great.

My overall rating is really based on balancing what I thought were some mind-wrecking and very well describ
Apatt
Dec 01, 2016 Apatt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tau zero

Poul Anderson is a writer's writer, David Brin, Vernor Vinge and others swear by him and Vinge even dedicated his epic A Deepness in the Sky to him. His influence on their work is fairly obvious, Anderson knew his science and was able to employ that knowledge to max effect in his fiction. He was also a natural story teller who never neglected the human element in his sf stories.

Tau Zero is - I believe - what veteran sf readers would call "diamond hard sf" where all the science in the boo
Megan Baxter
I'm reading this book as moderator of a discussion on Sci Fi Aficionadoes this month. No one has chimed in yet on the discussion. It's a little lonely. The reason I'm bringing that up is because Tau Zero was the winner of our "Time Travel" theme, which has me a little bit...befuddled. I mean, yes, they travel through time, but in the same direction as the rest of us. At near light speed, so, you know, faster, or slower, or whatever. But in one direction. I guess that's time travel, but by that l ...more
mark monday
faster, faster, faster - to the future or to death!

fascinating ideas; less than fascinating execution. characters are often tedious, yet still manage to be surprisingly real and at times even moving. overall: dry, thoughtful, mournful, mind-boggling (a word that i probably use too frequently when writing about sci-fi)... and, in the end, rather uplifting.

that said, this is sadly a somewhat forgettable experience. and i just read it this year! i think for something to really pop for me, i need
Brad
Sep 24, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a novel to showcase ideas, it succeeds. As a novel to showcase misogyny and thin characters in an attempt to bring real storytelling to hard SF, not so much.

I'll talk of the good parts first. I learned, or eventually recalled something that hadn't immediately made a connection to me right away but it should have.
The word Tau has a dual meaning in the text. One is Proper Time in Physics, and the other refers to coming full circle, both of which happens in the text.
Reducing Tau to Zero means th
Manny
Mar 15, 2009 Manny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Poul Anderson doesn't understand Special Relativity very well (an interstellar ramscoop spaceship can't carry on accelerating indefinitely, for all sorts of reasons). His understanding of General Relativity is even worse. Even if the Universe is cyclical, whatever would it mean to be outside the monobloc during the Big Crunch? You'd be outside the Universe.

Well... an SF writer's normal solution to problems like these is to add some sex and violence, and it works here too. Sort of.
Ints
Jan 09, 2016 Ints rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Lēnā garā esmu nolēmis aizpildīt savus robus zinātniskās fantastikas klasikā. Ja ar Padomju klasiķiem esmu diezgan labi iepazinies jau savā bērnībā, tad piecdesmito un septiņdesmito gadu angliski rakstošie autori man ir gājuši secen. Iemesls ir pavisam triviāls - kad es augu, tad tādas lietas neviens neizdeva. Tādēļ paralēli jau esošajiem sēriju projektiem esmu atvēzējies uz vēl vienu “SF Masterworks” sērijas lasīšanu.

Leonora Christine ir moderns zvaigžņu kuģis, startējot no zemes tā pēc desmit
Chris Beaton

Live girlflesh

Let me start by saying that I liked this book. With my 'internal' rating system, I'd give it four stars, but GoodReads informs me that this means I "really liked" a book and I think I just "liked" it, so I'm downgrading to three... Regardless, a VERY pleasurable read, a real page turner and a superb thought experiment. But enough with the forewarning, time for some griping, cos bits did indeed cheese me off.

WHAT IT IS ABOUT SCIENCE FICTION? Why are there so many great novels that
Alex Hiatt
Jan 05, 2010 Alex Hiatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone; anyone interested in exploring science fiction.
Until recently my experience with science fiction has been limited to pretty much Arthur C Clarke, whose books of course I love. Now that I have begun to branch out, I see the possibilities the genre has to offer. I will look back on Poul Anderson's "hard" sci-fi novel Tau Zero as one of the reasons I fell in love with sci-fi all over again.

The book follows a group of colonizers sent from Earth to start anew on a more-or-less Earth-like planet orbiting a star a few light-years down the road. The
Jason
Feb 16, 2016 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel begins in a garden of sculptures. Taking a stroll their last night on Earth, Charles Reymont and Ingrid Lindgren walk by Orpheus, Pegasus, and Rodin’s “The Hand of God,” all artistic representations of mortal man’s insignificance in the cosmos. A fair warning for people about to disembark on an intergalactic voyage! And yet, these mythical beings were all sculpted by man; one of them, we are informed, by a particular man named Carl Milles. Surely that proves that mankind is the true cr ...more
Katherine
Apr 03, 2016 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sf, read-2016
This was such a classic science fiction story, but I absolutely hated it. The book follows the crew of a spaceship that is going to explore and colonise a distant planet. The speed they travel at is so fast, so close to the speed of light, that although the journey will take only five years to the people on board the ship, actually several decades will pass on earth. But then their ship is damaged and they can't slow down, so they keep speeding up, and the faster they go, the more time passes ou ...more
Helen
Jan 06, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Wow, talk about the very defintion of big idea science fiction. This is it and I loved it. It's a relatively short novel but still tells a really good story. A group of colonists launch an experimental ship for a nearby star. The ship malfunctions and they find they are moving faster and faster unable to slow down. From here, the hard science from the beginning of the story gives way to a real mind-bender of an odyssey that has to be seen to be believed.
Belcebon
Si obviamos que los personajes de la novela son un cúmulo de tópicos regionales y que el papel que le dan a la mujer es muy cuestionable, la novela no está nada mal. Me gusta mucho la ciencia que hay detrás de la historia y me ha parecido muy interesante el planteamiento político de la Tierra aunque apenas lo ha desarrollado.
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
“It’s going to be lonely in space, Carl, so far from our dead.” This quote struck me harder than I thought it would. I read it a few times, actually, examining its impact on me. Looking at what it really means. It’s hard to imagine what it must be like. Humans have the phrase “Leave everything, and everyone you know behind” but for people on an interstellar space ship? They take that saying as far as it can possibly go.

Tau Zero has it’s faults, but they’re not many. One of the things I didn’t li
James Fallon
I've waited awhile to read this book with high hopes of a great science fiction tale.I did read some reviews before hand but not alot,so i braced myself for the flaws.

The main storyline itself was very good and was the only thing that kept me interested to be honest...even if the science is a little out dated by todays discoveries.But my main problem was the characters.

Dull,boring ,robotic and very 2-D is all i can use to describe them.I felt no connection to any of them, even forgot there names
Neil Hepworth
Holy crap is this a hard book. So much advanced math it makes my head hurt. At only 200 pages, I thought I’d be able to read this puppy in twenty-four hours. Ha! Fat chance. It took me three summer days to slog through this classic. (No wonder the poor book is out of print.) The premise is so cool, though: a small colonist spaceship breaks its brakes and accelerates towards the speed of light and the end/beginning of time! And all based on real physics (for the time). But then the author goes an ...more
Spyros
Jan 22, 2016 Spyros rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A constantly accelerating ship alomost reaches lightspeed then loses the ability to decelerate. As billion years pass by in the outside universe, time runs slow for the crew. They leave the galaxy, they even leave the local clusters. Trying to decelerate and find a new home. But their time almost stops. They try to find a way to repair the ship but the universe is now rapidly dying around them... What do they do when they reach the end of space time? How does it effect the crew's psychology?

Thi
Jokoloyo
Feb 26, 2014 Jokoloyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four and half star for the idea of the book. I imagine I would gave solid five star without second thought if I read Tau Zero when I had just started reading science fiction.

The ending was perfect for me: surprising although could be predictable. Like good mystery novels, the ending of this book was not cheating the readers.

I admit, if I seek a perfect read, this book is still not perfect. The characters are mostly flat. but how could you filled such a thin novel with many round characters? The
Vishal
Jul 02, 2015 Vishal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Sometimes when a fairly competent author makes a blunder, gives inaccurate scientific demonstrations and incorporates in his fiction a technology which was rendered impractical even at the time of its proposal, you get novels like these.

Here is a brief summary of the plot: A Spaceship employed with Bussard ramjet engine, which is used to continuously accelerate a ship to near-luminal velocities, sets off for a colonization mission to a near star. Apparently, the Bussard ramjet engine is supposed
Rob
Jan 21, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...According to the blurb on the cover, James Blish considers this book the ultimate hard science fiction novel. There is something to be said for that. I have rarely read a novel with such rigorous scientific underpinnings. Anderson had a degree in physics and in other novels it is quite clear that he thought about the properties of fictional planets he created. In Tau Zero he takes it way beyond that and makes physics the main character. The scope of the novel, in time and space is almost beyo ...more
Derek
Sep 11, 2013 Derek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
This might have made a good novella. I just read a blurb that said Anderson will be best remembered for this book. I hope not. Some of his work is very good, some is great. This isn't.

I guess it qualifies as "hard science", because no laws of physics are violated (though I think nobody actually believes in an eternally, repeatedly, expanding and contracting universe any more). But the laws of probability are given a pretty hard shakeup.

And the whole premise of why their ship is forced to voyage
Raj
Mar 21, 2010 Raj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved this book. The starship 'Leonara Christine', crewed by fifty of Earth's finest, sets of at near the speed of light for a star about thirty light years away in the hope of colonisation. Less than half-way there, an accident disables its deceleration system forcing it to continue to accelerate in order to survive. This is the story of the crew as they accelerate their way out of the galaxy and into the distant future.

This was a real hard SF book, to the point of having equations (well, one
Nikki
Tau Zero is definitely hard SF. Normally that isn't my thing, when it comes at the cost of good characters and emotional involvement, but I think there is a genuine effort to explore what happens in the situation caused by the hard SF plot.

The characters aren't deeply detailed or anything, but some relationship dynamics are explored, and what interested me a lot was a sort of tacit acknowledgement of polyamory throughout -- with the ending saying quite clearly that in their situation, it's not o
Larry
Aug 05, 2010 Larry rated it really liked it
Well this is my kind of SF! Sure there are one or two head-scratching moments but you can let them ride over your head and enjoy what is essentially a human story; it sounds like a corny back-of-the-book blurb but it is a story of a voyage, a journey across time and space, a story of teamwork and the rewards it brings. But also it is, as fellow Goodreads contributor Simon said, mindblowing! Huge conceptually yet it makes for compelling reading.
G.R. Reader
Feb 17, 2016 G.R. Reader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In an interesting example of observer-dependence, readers who know nothing about physics will imagine Tau Zero is a triumph of hard-science SF, while those who've got even a nodding acquaintance with the subject will groan over the constant stream of misunderstandings, fudges and flat-out lies.

People in the first group may think this has something to do with Einstein's theory of relativity. But they're wrong.
Denis
Aug 24, 2014 Denis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, b-c
The most solid pure science fiction I've yet read by Poul Anderson. Not about the colonization of an earth-like planet but rather about the trip to such a place. A very exciting drama and a somewhat scientifically plausible novel about space travel published the year after the moon landing at the height of the "space age" when it seemed that anything was possible.
Sean O'Brien
Jul 12, 2012 Sean O'Brien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Best of" lists are always suspect, of course: they are subjective and frozen in time, and usually seem to be around some arbitrary number (10, 100, etc.). I do, however, want to recommend David Pringle's 100 Best Science Fiction Novels list. I can't think how many excellent novels I discovered thanks to this list.

One of those excellent novels is Poul Anderson's Tau Zero. First of all, let me exclaim that it is excellent hard science fiction. "Old school," I believe the term is. I can't tell yo
Scott Kennedy
This is a 3 star based on nostalgia goggles. There's a lot here to dislike if you're a modern reader reading it the first time. If that were the case I'd probably give it 1.5. This is old SF that doesn't hold up that well after you've read Iain M. Banks.

What I love about the book:
1) A spaceship trapped in increasing velocity and the time dilation that ensues. That's what amazed me when I first read it in 6th grade, and what brings me back to the book, and Anderson's ramjet scoops that trap stray
Chuck
Oct 19, 2012 Chuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was young enough when I read this book that it was sent to my parents to review (for acceptable morals ) and I got a long talk about "just because it is in a book does not mean what people are doing is right ... and we think you are old enough to tell the difference and make moral choices.)

Anyway, the story is well written about people who are cooped up on relativistic star ship for a long long time. The science fiction part about relativity and the starship and other really cool stuff that I
  • The Complete Roderick
  • The Centauri Device
  • Life During Wartime
  • Dark Benediction
  • Non-Stop
  • Downward to the Earth
  • The Rediscovery of Man
  • Mission of Gravity (Mesklin, #1)
  • Man Plus (Man Plus #1)
  • Emphyrio
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • Rogue Moon
  • Bring the Jubilee
  • Timescape
  • Nova
  • The Child Garden
  • Pavane
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a
More about Poul Anderson...

“Their flight was not less exhilarating for being explainable.” 3 likes
“we can't go on ... having regular bowel movements ... while creation happens!” 2 likes