Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1)

Ill Wind (Weather Warden #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  12,919 ratings  ·  1,081 reviews
Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden - waves her hand to tame the most violent weather. Now she races against accusations of corruption and murder. Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful warden known. Because he stole three bottles of Djinn, he is now the most wanted criminal on earth. Can she find him before the bad weather closes in?
Published December 2nd 2003 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Ill Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ill Wind

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
49th out of 2,371 books — 8,648 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
93rd out of 1,385 books — 9,305 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike (the Paladin)
I tried...oh how I tried to like this book. After all, I was talked into buying the first 4 in the series at one time. Unfortunately, I just couldn't. I "sort of got through it". And, since I've already purchased the next 3 at the enthusiastic insistence of an employee of Books-A-Million (that's $35 I'll never see again) I plan to read them. But my expectations are not what I'd call high.

This book opened up fairly interestingly but rapidly deteriorated into a rambling romance that amounted to an...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Ill wind is an explosive debut about a group of wardens who maintain balance to the Earth, fire wardens, earth wardens, and weather wardens. Joanne Baldwin is a powerful weather warden who is running from the storm, looking for her powerful friend Lewis who is the only one who can save her from a demon mark.

The whole story is basically set out around a huge road trip, but it's a journey definitely worth travelling. The weather descriptions went over my head a little as they were a bit too scien...more
Kristen
How to Write a Novel that Kriz1818 Will Dislike. Intensely.

Seat belts, please.

If there's one thing I don't like, it's a clue-resistant protagonist. If there's another thing I don't like, it's a protagonist whose identity is defined by (a) an unusual thing that she likes (in this case, hot rods), (b) an ordinary thing that she likes (in this case, clothes), and (c) her sex life.

I can't even add (d) her education and career, because quite frankly, this chick doesn't seem to have put any effort int...more
Catherine
I just finished my reread of this book. I have two new books in the series - the final two books - and I want to be totally fresh for the conclusion, so I plan to read them all again. Reading this was almost like reading it for the first time again. I remembered the broad strokes of the story, but I had forgotten all the little details and twists that made it so interesting. I'm very pleased to report that my enthusiasm for this story has not dimmed with time!

I absolutely love the way this story...more
AH
Sometimes it’s good to be late to the party. I just started reading the Weather Warden series and it is so nice to know that the series is complete and that I won’t have to wait to read the next book. There are 9 books in the Weather Warden series and I plan to read them all.

The Weather Wardens has a unique premise: a group of people are tasked with controlling the weather and to keep it from destroying lives and property. These Weather Wardens are assigned beings known as djinns to assist them...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
In this alternate reality, a select few are born with the power to harness the weather (air and water), or fire, or Earth: wardens. They control the world by controlling the natural forces, taking the bite out of storms that would otherwise decimate cities, helping the land regrow after wildfires and so on. Their power is augmented by djinn who do their bidding, but they're not invincible.

Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden, and she's just had a Demon Mark forced onto her. Running for her life, s...more
Nic
" No good morning?" I asked. "What so fascinating? Cheerleaders practising naked in the parking lot?"

I had high hopes for this book since I love Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series. Thankfully Ill Wind didn't disappoint. It was an action packed, witty and unique read that left me craving more.

Rachel Caine writing is never slow, the action starts from page 1 and doesn't stop. She also knows how to surprise you throwing in plenty of twists and turns that you never see coming. The character...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I simply had no idea how much I would enjoy this book. First of all, it was very creative. Urban fantasy is full of powerful women. But Joanne stands out. She's a Weather Warden, meaning she can control an aspect of the weather. I thought the concept of Weather Wardens was really cool. That would be an awesome major and career path. If only. Also, this story starts with her in an very vulnerable position. The latest trend is to have heroines who can kickbutt and take names. Joanne can do that, b...more
Jim
Not really a 4 star book because it's just another paranormal, kick-ass chick with an attitude & a big problem who keeps making dumb decisions to prove how thick-headed she can be & still manage to get by. I'm afraid I've about reached my limit with the character type, though. So, I'm bumping it 1 star because I think my ennui is driving my reflex rating down & the story had its moments.

The magic was quite different. I don't know enough about the weather to know if all the science w...more
Erin (Paperback Stash)

3.5

This unusual Urban Fantasy has a modern day world where there are special people who possess the power to control the elements. They work together to make sure the weather never gets too out of control, to where Mother Nature isn’t a trustworthy beast that regulates on her own; instead she poses a threat of breaking apart our world any time, so subtle control is always neede...more
Katyana
Natasha
Sashana
Excuse me while I babble.

This book is really hard to rate. On one hand I didn't really enjoy the story overall (which is not to say I didn't like it, but I wasn't impressed by it) but on the other hand the storyline was really original-especially when compared to whats on the market at the moment. I mean c'mon, this book had genies! (Can you say awesomesauce?)
description

I don't think Jo makes a good Urban Fantasy MC—I don't even know if this book should be classified as an Urban Fantasy. She is one of th...more
Wicked Incognito Now
Urban fantasy series about an organization (the Weather Wardens) that use specialized powers to keep the weather from destroying the world (along with Earth and Fire Wardens) and the Djinn that they use to assist them.

I love the tone the writer uses. Very fast, witty and quippy. Very big on the "I'm a kick-ass woman who loves muscle cars, sex, and driving fast, but I still love pretty clothes and designer coffees." Several clever turns of phrase here.

The story starts out in the middle of action....more
Kimber
OK, the ending! I won't say anything but WOW did not see THAT coming.
I loved this book. It was a fun, easy, popcorn read, but still witty and smart. and If you are a dresden fan you will certainly like this book. Love the characters, love the original story idea.... I couldn't put it down and was sad it was over and that doesn't happen too often!
I felt for the character like I knew her and pulled for her and hated it when things didn't go her way. I love that she is both strong yet very vulnera...more
Kim
I didn't love this. There wasn't anything wrong with this book, but I didn't really enjoy reading this much either.

I can't even come up with a decent review right now to say what's on my mind either. Maybe later.

Hearing Tom Jones sing My My Myyyyyy Delilah every time they mentioned the Mustang didn't help either.
Carolyn F.
I've learned way more than I ever wanted to learn about weather. The descriptions of the levels of clouds and storms, oh my gosh, way too much detail. If you're not a closet weatherman, I think you'd also find it extremely boring.

So, anyway, in between the descriptions of clouds, the story was actually pretty good. Joanne is a Weather Warden on the run being accused of killing a supervisor. Well, she didn't really kill him and she can't tell the others why because he transferred his demon mark...more
~Tina~
Ill Wind starts off with a thunderous bang!
Joanne Baldwin, is one of the Weather Wardens and she's running for her life, being accused of murder and all. Nothing but her and her sweet midnight-blue '71 Mustang-Delilah- in search for the only man she can think of who can save her life. Only he's in more hot water then she is.
This is one road-trip-straight-to-hell that is not like any other as Joanne fights to save her life, the people that she's meet on the way, while trying to figure out who she...more
gigi pryce
This is what goodreads has to say about Ill Wind-

First in the new Weather Warden series...

Joanne Baldwin is a Weather Warden. Usually, all it takes is a wave of her hand to tame the most violent weather. But now, she's trying to outrun another kind of storm: accusations of corruption and murder. So, she's resorting to the very human tactic of running for her life...

Her only hope is Lewis, the most powerful warden known. Unfortunately, he's stolen not one but three bottles of Djinn-making him t...more
Kathryn
I'll try to write this without any spoilers.

I struggled with this book at first. The beginning was confusing and the author dolled out information one grain at a time. I was extremely frustrated and considered quitting the book more than once. But I forced myself to continue and I wasn't disappointed. I would have given this 5 stars except for my frustrations with the beginning.

My only other (slight) complaint would have to do with the weather descriptions. Some were boring and some were so fa...more
Kate
Should I read it? Possibly. It's not a great book, but it's not horrible, either. Regular urban fantasy fans will enjoy this the most.

What's the short and skinny of it? Joanne Baldwin has the ability to control weather patterns. She’s one of a few thousand on earth known as the Wardens, who have this or a similar ability--and, more importantly, the responsibility--to keep Mother Nature from killing her fragile human inhabitants. (Think Hurricane Andrew was bad? It could have been much worse with...more
Riannon
This book has won the dubious honor of making it onto my very short list of books I have started reading and not finished.

It begins in medias res, with plenty of hints at supposedly exciting things that happened before the book began. It flashes back to them at seemingly random points through the book, and when it does, the action is pretty underwhelming when you consider how long the reader had to wait for it.

The main character is incredibly annoying. She seems obsessed with guys, and is fore...more
Tina
As I was reading this book I was curiously divided on how I felt about it. One the one hand I was wildly in love with the premise. OTOH, I was not wildly in love with the protagonist. Even up to the very end of the book i was never sure if I wanted to seek out and read the follow up book.

So I decided to do a list of What worked and what didn't:

What worked:
1) The premise. How frickin awesome was the idea behind the main paranormal element in this book? Nature is not our friend. It is a living, b...more
Angie
So I finally got around to picking up my first Rachel Caine book. I have to say I really like the cover design and artwork on this series. Simple, classy lines accompany the smooth, witching weather artwork making the overall package quite pleasing. I'm looking forward to how they'll look all lined up nicely on my shelf.

Joanne is a weather warden, one of a few hundred people on Earth gifted with the ability to control the elements. Jo's gift is over water and air. She can summon up a storm and...more
Wesley
OK, first off if you are not a fan of weather, even in the slightest, don’t read this. I mean if you find things related to it annoying it might increase your patience to deplete. The title should put enough out there. It’s not all of it, but that’s just a hurdle an individual should address from the get-go.

I was nervous about this book though, I was however glad when it hooked me in right away. Within a couple chapters I was rolling in the deep. I thought the layout and subject matter was spot...more
Gaijinmama
I breezed through this one (pun absolutely intended!).
It was fun, creepy, kinda hot in places, and thoroughly absorbing.
For me, well-written dialogue is one of the most important aspects of a book and Caine does not disappoint. There's a lot of snappy, sarcastic banter and it definitely works.
The characters, too, are compelling and believable. Joanna, our
protagonist, is smart, vulnerable, powerful (she can make a life-threatening hurricane go bye-bye, folks!) and funny as hell. The villains aren...more
Sandra
First books in series don't generally rate as a 5 star book. You've got the world-building, getting to know the MCs, whether you like the MCs etc etc

This book just blew me away it was so original. We have Weather Wardens, controlling the elements and trying to control mother nature and storms, which can have sentience ie intelligence. Helping the Wardens are Djinn, but not willingly, they seem to be enslaved.

Can't believe I haven't read this series already. Luckily I have all the rest of the ser...more
~Megan~
I really love Rachel Caine's writing style, and figured it was time for me to start one of her other series. I love the Morganville Vamps so much, and I hope I will grow to love Joanne and her gang, too. This is an original take on the urban fantasy...I haven't read too many involving people who control weather, let alone djinn (genies). Just like any typical UF heroine, Joanne is super strong and has way too many potential love interests to suit me, but I'm hoping it will all pan out like I wan...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
This is the first book by Rachel Caine I have read and I must say I enjoyed it. Ill Wind is the first book in the Weather Warden series, where the world's weather is controlled by warden's who each control the different elements of Earth, Wind, Water and Fire.

Joanne is a weather warden and she has the ability to control water and wind. She's also on the run from the World Council as she's been accused of murder. I really like Joanne. She's certainly not a girlie girl as she likes her cars and dr...more
Janet
There was plenty to like about Ill Wind -- the weather control & djinn based magic system was interesting, the chase/attack action moved at a fast clip, the meteorology was accurate but still accessible, and there were a few twists that I wasn't expecting. However, a few irritants kept the novel to a 2.5 star level for me personally. I don't have much patience for romance novel tropes, particularly when they don't quite make sense for the story (i.e., you're running for your life, and you st...more
Any good? 2 6 Aug 04, 2014 03:26PM
Is this a good series? 6 44 May 29, 2014 09:22PM
LEWIS or DAVID? 17 80 Feb 16, 2013 02:46PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * Ill Wind Discussion Thread *Spoilers* 222 571 Sep 26, 2012 02:14AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: QUESTIONS FOR TUESDAY HANGOUT! POST HERE! 50 244 Aug 30, 2012 03:30AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: which warden would you be? 51 251 Aug 28, 2012 02:53PM
Vaginal Fantasy T...: August Hangout 2 12 Aug 23, 2012 01:53PM
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Urban Shaman  (Walker Papers, #1)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Witch Craft (Nocturne City, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell, #1)
  • Wicked Game (WVMP Radio, #1)
  • Black Dust Mambo (Hoodoo, #1)
  • Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Biting the Bullet (Jaz Parks, #3)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Staying Dead (Retrievers, #1)
  • Storm Born (Dark Swan #1)
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) Midnight Alley (The Morganville Vampires, #3) Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4) Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6) The Dead Girls' Dance (The Morganville Vampires, #2)

“People talk about nature as a mother, but to me she's always been Medea, ready and willing to slaughter her children.” 70 likes
“Me and normal have never really been on speaking terms.” 19 likes