Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Collection of Sherlock Holmes Stories.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
The Field Bazaar
How Watson Learned the Trick

After
Hardcover, The World's Best Reading, 219 pages
Published 2001 by The Reader's Digest Association (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Marlbourne Point Mystery
From BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama:
A new two-part Sherlock Holmes adventure, inspired by the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and written by Bert Coules.
Rose
I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did. I was given to understand that the Holmes stories that Conan Doyle wrote after the resurrection of his famous fictional detective (in the 1903 story "The Adventure of the Empty House") are simply not as well-written as the ones that came before said detective tumbled over the Falls in the first place. And yet, of the seven canon stories that make up this collection, three immediately became among my top-ten favorites -- and I deeply enjoyed them ...more
Ken Bickley
As Philip Shreffler points out in his afterword to this volume (1993) most Sherlock Holmes stories were written when the London they evoked was already passing away. Thus they appealed to the nostalgia of their readers. And thus the latter-day attempts to shoehorn Sherlock into modern-day settings all fall flat on their ugly faces. These stories are all from the period after Doyle "killed" the famous detective, because he was utterly tired of writing about him. Two in fact don't even mention the ...more
John Richards
All Sherlock Holmes books and stories are a good read.
Elizabeth
Great read! I have read and re-read time and time again. You must overlook the chauvinism and stereotyping of the day and just enjoy the writing as you would if you were listening to great music of the day.
Claudette Gabbs
A collection of Sherlock Holmes shorts. Read a few years ago. I don't think I finished. I have maybe 1 or 2 stories left
Sarah Ch.
Magnificent.
Katie
Not exactly as suspenseful as some of the other Sherlock mysteries, but it's still a very good collection. The Adventure of the Devil's Foot is definitely one of my favorites. After His Last Bow, Sherlock retires and in the next two stories he only gives newspaper-article advice to detectives investigating the cases and doesn't actually solve them. The last two are short funny stories involving Holmes and Watson.
Katya Epstein
An enjoyable enough way to pass an evening, but I liked The Hound of the Baskervilles better. I think the best part of this particular edition is the afterword, which points out that all the Holmes stories (except for the last one) take place in the 1890s and eschew such modern innovations as the car and the telephone.
Robin
Although I do really enjoy the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, I felt a little lacking in this selection of stories. Actually that's not fair to say most had me quite riveted. I liked them fine, just not WOW!
Laurie D'ghent
I'm not a short-story person, and they usually lose my interest quickly, but I actually read all of these. Yes, I would have liked them to be novel length, but Doyle does such an excellent job that it's not necessary.
Lauren
A short collection of less well known Holmes, and a few short tales, such as Watson trying to apply Holmes method of deduction, unsuccessfully, of course.
Marcia Chapman
OK. If this weren't Sherlock Holmes, it might get a higher rating. But there wasn't much new in these stories although I enjoyed and savored them.
Joanna
Includes "The Story of the Man with the Watches," not technically a Sherlock Holmes story but it does have gay content (kinda).
Isolde
These are a bunch of short Sherlock Holmes stories-enjoyable and good if you don't feel like reading a Sherlock Holmes book.
John
It seems the narrator doesn't speak English from the way he struggles (and often fails) with names of British people and places.
stitchnsnitch
I don't think this volume of Holmes stories is quite as strong as the first volume, but it was still a good read.
Kathryn
Love Sherlock! Sir Author Conan Doyle created a masterful duo whom will never fade from history, fictional or not ;)
Jim Booth
Interesting set of later Holmes stories. More soon in a blog post available at my home page....
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
Sherlock is always a good read :)
David Matura
David Matura is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Ian
Ian marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Spilla7298
Spilla7298 marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Yan Qing
Yan Qing marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Art of Deduction
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • Bending the Willow: Jeremy Brett As Sherlock Holmes
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes and Young Winston: The Jubilee Plot
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • The Many Watsons
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Thinking Machine
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6)
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, Volume III: The Novels
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Vol 2