Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes)

Collection of Sherlock Holmes Stories.

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
The Field Bazaar
How Watson Learned the Trick

After
Hardcover, The World's Best Reading, 219 pages
Published 2001 by The Reader's Digest Association (first published December 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Jan 12, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey
The Marlbourne Point Mystery
From BBC Radio 4 - Afternoon Drama:
A new two-part Sherlock Holmes adventure, inspired by the stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and written by Bert Coules.
Rose
Jul 15, 2014 Rose rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did. I was given to understand that the Holmes stories that Conan Doyle wrote after the resurrection of his famous fictional detective (in the 1903 story "The Adventure of the Empty House") are simply not as well-written as the ones that came before said detective tumbled over the Falls in the first place. And yet, of the seven canon stories that make up this collection, three immediately became among my top-ten favorites -- and I deeply enjoyed them ...more
John Richards
All Sherlock Holmes books and stories are a good read.
Ken Bickley
Jul 20, 2014 Ken Bickley rated it really liked it
As Philip Shreffler points out in his afterword to this volume (1993) most Sherlock Holmes stories were written when the London they evoked was already passing away. Thus they appealed to the nostalgia of their readers. And thus the latter-day attempts to shoehorn Sherlock into modern-day settings all fall flat on their ugly faces. These stories are all from the period after Doyle "killed" the famous detective, because he was utterly tired of writing about him. Two in fact don't even mention the ...more
Katie
Jan 31, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Not exactly as suspenseful as some of the other Sherlock mysteries, but it's still a very good collection. The Adventure of the Devil's Foot is definitely one of my favorites. After His Last Bow, Sherlock retires and in the next two stories he only gives newspaper-article advice to detectives investigating the cases and doesn't actually solve them. The last two are short funny stories involving Holmes and Watson.
Katya Epstein
Jul 26, 2011 Katya Epstein rated it it was ok
An enjoyable enough way to pass an evening, but I liked The Hound of the Baskervilles better. I think the best part of this particular edition is the afterword, which points out that all the Holmes stories (except for the last one) take place in the 1890s and eschew such modern innovations as the car and the telephone.
Laurie D'ghent
Jul 11, 2013 Laurie D'ghent rated it it was amazing
I'm not a short-story person, and they usually lose my interest quickly, but I actually read all of these. Yes, I would have liked them to be novel length, but Doyle does such an excellent job that it's not necessary.
Elizabeth
Feb 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Great read! I have read and re-read time and time again. You must overlook the chauvinism and stereotyping of the day and just enjoy the writing as you would if you were listening to great music of the day.
Philip Noonan
Jan 04, 2016 Philip Noonan rated it liked it
I thought that about half of the stories were well written and entertaining and the other half either felt rushed or just fell flat. Highlights being The Adventure of the Devil's Foot and The Adventure of the Dying Detective.
Robin
Aug 09, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it
Although I do really enjoy the adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, I felt a little lacking in this selection of stories. Actually that's not fair to say most had me quite riveted. I liked them fine, just not WOW!
Teri
May 28, 2010 Teri rated it liked it
I don't think this volume of Holmes stories is quite as strong as the first volume, but it was still a good read.
Marcia Chapman
Oct 27, 2011 Marcia Chapman rated it liked it
OK. If this weren't Sherlock Holmes, it might get a higher rating. But there wasn't much new in these stories although I enjoyed and savored them.
Isolde
Feb 03, 2011 Isolde rated it liked it
These are a bunch of short Sherlock Holmes stories-enjoyable and good if you don't feel like reading a Sherlock Holmes book.
Barrett Lafortune
May 31, 2016 Barrett Lafortune rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Meh. A couple of these mysteries were cool but there were a bunch of duds as well. Def not my favourite Sherlock material.
Joanna
Aug 20, 2010 Joanna rated it really liked it
Includes "The Story of the Man with the Watches," not technically a Sherlock Holmes story but it does have gay content (kinda).
Kathryn
Aug 13, 2013 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Love Sherlock! Sir Author Conan Doyle created a masterful duo whom will never fade from history, fictional or not ;)
John
It seems the narrator doesn't speak English from the way he struggles (and often fails) with names of British people and places.
Claudette Gabbs
Aug 10, 2016 Claudette Gabbs rated it liked it
A collection of Sherlock Holmes shorts. Read a few years ago. I don't think I finished. I have maybe 1 or 2 stories left
Lauren
Feb 02, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
A short collection of less well known Holmes, and a few short tales, such as Watson trying to apply Holmes method of deduction, unsuccessfully, of course.
Juan Bárcenas Cuellar
Mas aventuras de este mítico personaje. Cada caso un enigma, con cada nueva pista un paso mas para revelar el misterio. Super entretenido.
Mary Hutchens
Mary Hutchens rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Elizabeth Simmons
Elizabeth Simmons rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
James
James rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Jonah Meyer
Jonah Meyer rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Riri
Riri rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2009
Tim Crabb
Tim Crabb rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2007
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • The Art of Deduction
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Jubilee Plot (Sherlock Holmes & Young Winston #2)
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes Vs Zombies
  • The Progress of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Voice from the Crypt and Other Tales
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • A Sticky End  (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #3)
  • The Man Who Created Sherlock Holmes: The Life and Times of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...

Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • His Last Bow: 8 Stories (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Sherlock Holmes: El sabueso de los Baskerville; Reaparece Sherlock Holmes; Sherlock Holmes no ha muerto (Sherlock Holmes, #5, 6)