Start by marking “Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure” as Want to Read:
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Under pressure to prepare a quick, nutritious dinner? Under pressure to reduce your fat and cholesterol? When the pressure's on for a great vegetarian meal on the run, turn to Lorna Sass's second guide to the safe and delicious use of the pressure cooker.

Following the phenomenal success of Cooking Under Pressure, this collection of recipes dispels the myth of the difficult
Published October 20th 1994 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

Monica
Recently I went on a hunt for cookbooks that would help me get my thoughts organized about how to use food that I have in storage. My goal was to get our family plan for hard times better organized. I found Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure. The day it arrived in my mailbox I sat down to skim through it. I ended up reading it from cover to cover, which I have never done with a cookbook before. I was mesmerized by the perfect fit I had happened upon. I didn’t expect to find a great solution ...more
Janelle
I have a couple of hefty shelves jammed full of cookbooks. If I could only have 3 cookbooks, though, this one would make the cut. I use it all the time. Lately my most-used recipe is a simple one, for casserole-style brown rice. The rice cooks (with water) in a glass casserole dish set over (more) steaming water, so it sort of boils and steams at the same time. The result is perfect, nutty, separate rice. My kids didn't even notice when we moved from white rice to brown rice cooked this way.

Ano
Recipes are generally vegan (some call for sour cream or parmigiana as a topping, but the main recipe is always vegan as far as I can tell). Nice overview of the types of vegetarian/vegan dishes you can use a pressure cooker for (grain dishes, beans, vegetables, stews). At times seems a bit dated (i.e., says an ingredient will be hard to find that is now mainstream, spices to an Americanized palate). The introduction is invaluable for its instructions on using second generation pressure cookers ...more
Rebecca
I constantly use her quick cooking times at a glance tables. Excellent instructions on how to use and care for your cooker
Lynda Birch
Thanks to this book I have gotten more use out of my pressure cooker than ever before. The recipes are clear, concise, easy to follow and well-tested. I love making risotto in the pressure cooker now. Is it identical to making it by hand - maybe not - but it is still super good a lot easier and less time consuming. I love this book and refer to it often.
Hilary
This is an okay cookbook, very US centric (so for those of us in the UK, not so ideal!) and she does appear to think that you have a fridge and freezer the size of a small continent - as I said, okay but in my view not brilliant :(
Carolyn
Get yourself a pressure cooker and this book and you will never need to worry about what healthy vegetarian food you can quickly make for dinner. This book got me through my masters degree and my beloved's Ph.D. When we had no time to cook but wanted fresh, healthy food, this is where we turned.
Karla
This book is also a good one for anyone who is interested in pressure-cooking. While the recipes are all vegetarian, the educational aspect of how to cook with a pressure cooker is a good one.
Jennifer Miera
Jan 16, 2010 Jennifer Miera added it
Shelves: cooking
I made two recipes from this book and both were, well, alright. Edible. But, honestly, everything was ultra mushy. I think I'll just keep the pressure cooker for cooking beans fast.
Hannah
This book, recommended to me by a very Veggie-savvy co-worker, has inspired me to register for a pressure-cooker in my Target Club Wedd registry. Delicious!
Happyreader
No vegetarian should be without a pressure cooker or this cookbook. This book is my bean and grain bible.
Lisa
excellent and still relevant today. lots of vegan recipes, too.
Staci
Great cookbook! I turn to this often, as we are a busy family!
Joan
Awesome, mostly vegan, flavorful recipes for the pressure cooker
Amy
I must buy this book!
Stephen
very practical
Nadine
Loved this!
***
*** marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Kay Moore
Kay Moore is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2015
Ellie Kissel
Ellie Kissel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Josh Lavine
Josh Lavine is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2015
Deena Strauss
Deena Strauss is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Arria
Arria marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Lorna Sass 1 5 Jan 27, 2010 06:32AM
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven: Over 200 Recipes for Uncommon Soups, Tasty Bites, Side-By-Side Dishes, and Too Many Desserts
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
Pressure Perfect: Two Hour Taste in Twenty Minutes Using Your Pressure Cooker Cooking under Pressure The Pressured Cook: Over 75 One-Pot Meals In Minutes, Made In Today's 100% Safe Pressure Cookers Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen: Where Good Flavors and Good Health Meet Lorna Sass' Short-Cut Vegetarian: Great Taste in No Time