Start by marking “The Dreamseller: The Calling: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Dreamseller: The Calling: A Novel

The Dreamseller: The Calling: A Novel (O Vendedor de Sonhos #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Wherever he goes, the dreamseller enchants, stirs up trouble and inspires his listeners to search for the most important thing: the heart of the human soul. Every person he meets is someone who has abandoned their dreams and is struggling through life: a professor who has stopped pursuing his passions, an alcoholic who has no family, the elderly who have lost their zest fo ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Atria Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamseller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamseller

Jenny
After two attempts to read this, I gave up. The reason is that it reads as what it is: one man's personal philosophy dressed up as fiction. As a result the characters - mere set pieces - are soulless and the plot is just the vehicle by which the author moves from one piece of self-wisdom to the next. The Dreamseller, who is, of course, the author, comes across as a prententious pratt. If only life was as black and white as this guy paints it.
Nabi
Feb 19, 2013 Nabi rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: unfinished, 2013
Repetitive and bland. I tried to get through it but reading 60 pages was enough.
Ana
I loved the ideology, the principles, and the motivation behind it, but on the other hand there is way too much existentialist talk for my taste, and I didn't like how the narrating character seemed to be constatly surprised by the actions of his master.
Josh
Muita pagina para repetir a mesma mensagem.
Toni
Мъдра - да, позитивна - да, но не ме вдъхнови чак толкова. Прочетох я доста бързо, харесах си доста цитати, но не ме "разтърси", не ме накара да се замисля чак толкова много. Книгата казва много истини, позабравени от нас в стресогенното, забързано ежедневие. Точно там е работата, че аз знам, че нещата стоят така, т.е. сама по себе си книгата не ми каза нещо ново. В края, историята на Учителя беше много емоционална и разтърсваща, което само по себе си просто ни напомня да подреждаме правилно при ...more
Daniela Silva
A great book to reflect on the values ​​of contemporary society, and to review concepts about what really matters in life. It is extremely important to fight against a controlling and abusive system - it does exist, although some people to ignore its existence. Cury makes us look deep inside and rescue our virtue and essence - That's why he is SURELY my favorite writter.

Um ótimo livro para refletir sobre os valores da sociedade e para rever conceitos sobre o que realmente importa. É extremament
Luisa
So I got this book as a b'day present and it seemed interesting.

The thing is, the story is OK, and it has a good happy little utopic message, but the narrator is incredibly annoying in his ramblings and self-doubts. I'm all about Pollyanna and 'things can be better' and such, but this was too utopic even for me!
Also, when you use the word 'vehemently' three times in two pages, and the word 'insight' every other page (especially considering the word 'insight' was used in English in a Portuguese b
April
This book was more or less a 21st-century rendition of the life & teachings of Jesus. There's a charismatic, roving wanderer who uses the Socratic method to wake up society from its ignorance and self-destruction. It's part self-help book, part allegory. To be truthful, only a few instances were profound and most of the book felt "been there done that." Cury writes starkly and directly, without flourish. I prefer to read flowery prose; that's just me.
Deb Irons
May 13, 2013 Deb Irons rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Deb by: birthday present from my sister
5 stars. A must read. This book makes you think and I mean some soul searching thinking. It also makes you take an honest look at your life no matter where you are in you life journey. Do you dream? Have you had a strong dream and naysayer told you you couldn't do it? Then this book is for you. Don't have a dream? This book is still for you. Grab hold of your dreams and walk out of society's boundaries.
Anita
This book is likened to Paulo Coelho's 'The Alchemist' and James Redfield's 'The Celestine Prophecy'. This is what drew my attention in the first place, but after having read it, it doesn't even compare; the aforementioned two are more about the workings of an inner transformation. This book seems to have more of a 'messianic' theme, with the dreamseller approaching each underdog and downtrodden character and reawakens them to their worth and purpose -- stirring in them the remembrance of the dr ...more
Ágata Bresil
I finished the last page of the book and I felt the difficulty to come here to write a review. I know that many have read this book, but I just read it now and had no idea he would become so important in my life. I leave this reading with the same feeling that comes from reading the book The Shack, despite The Dreamseller is not as focused on religion, thought that was what made it so special, it shows that an atheist, Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Spiritualist, or you feeding any other belief, yo ...more
Iceman
No topo do imponente edifício da maior companhia empresarial, um homem, desde logo chamado suicida, 40 anos, está prestes a pôr termo à sua vida.

Mas quem é este homem, porque se quer suicidar?

Será que a suas erudições, exímios conhecimentos linguísticos e de idiomas, boa aparência, saúde financeira, não lhe permitem ter uma vida completa e realizada?

Enquanto se desenrola este acontecimento, um homem no meio da multidão, que entretanto se juntou para ver triste espectáculo, pede passagem. Mas ves
Camila Bustos Rosas
A pesar de ser el típico libro de "auto ayuda" que muchas veces no considero leer, agradezco haberle dado la oportunidad. Sin duda, deja una enseñanza -con una historia bastante interesante- que sigue dando vueltas en la cabeza tanto como para volver a leerlo. Uno de mis favoritos
Simone
I was SO disappointed with this novel. In comparison with Gounelle, this book is real rubbish for me. Nice idea but so terribly written, totally unreadable. And also unbeliavable. When reading, it was obvious the author had some psychology background but he could use it in a more readers-friendly way. I couldn't decide whether I was reading a novel or some scholar kind of lit.
Raul Corsini
O livro inicia com uma trama que poderia ser extremamente interessante e termina com uma enxurrada de conselhos de auto-ajuda forçados e utópicos.

Extremamente repetitivas, as ideias que o autor transmite não casam bem com o decorrer da história e acabam passando a sensação de que foram introduzidas na trama a bel-prazer.

A unica coisa que não me fez abandonar o livro no meio foi o fato de ter gostado das primeiras linhas da história e ter mantido uma esperança, não satisfeita, de que o final pud
Camila
O livro contém muitas mensagens as quais guardaremos para as próximas etapas pelas quais passarmos, achei o livro ótimo.
Rose

Perhaps it should be called "The Believers" instead. I was not convinced that a group of homeless people would discover themselves so readily just by having "one of their enlightened" direct them to themselves. It was not what I expected. I was disappointed with the predictable story though I agree that the corporate points: education, preparation, business life, and stress are all unhealthy,dehumanizing, automaton and slavery in modern garb. I have faith in people to figure that out and change
Igor Horozović
[must-read] As I finished the first chapter, a thought came up to me: "I want to be a dreamseller!" Now, I just want this book to stick around, for rereading it occasionally. More human and less divine than Celestine Prophecy, this book leads you through thesis on society, be it your inner spirit or the envirovement. But treating the theme always from the critic point of view to prepare you for "his own theories", to read without prejudice. I'm giving this book a 5 ONLY because I want for more p ...more
Miguel
excelentes enseñanzas e ideas con una literatura mas bien simplista
Lara
The story just carried and carried on and got to nothing...
I don`t know how I finished this book at all, I just kept reading to see if there was anything more to it. I think if it wasn`t for the disclosure of the character`s identity in the end a lot of people would have stopped reading it, I`m sure. I just finished at all because of it.
I`ll definately not be reading the sequence!
Yvette
I'm not sure why this author believes that third person omniscient a-la the last century is all the rage in the US publishing industry, or that frequent head hopping is a good thing. Other seem to look beyond those rather obvious flaws to some hidden religious or spiritual message delivered within the pages.

I for one, will not be purchasing this however.
Joao Verde
Muito construtivo e super indicado.
Ana Paula
Ah não! Por que mesmo eu achei que esse livro fosse ser interessante? Li até mais ou menos a metade. Porcaria de autoajuda... Não tenho nada contra autoajuda, mas esse aqui ganhou o trofeu joinha da chatice. Vou dar pro meu irmão porque ele gosta dessas coisas, ai quando ele terminar, se tiver alguma coisa interessante ele me conta.
Ricardo Pedraza
É o primeiro livro que leio em português. Por ser escrito por um psicólogo a história tem muitos matizes disto. Gostei dele , fala de diferentes personagens que tem problemas que resolver durante a história. Não é profunda, mas sendo simples tem boas lições.
Adoa Coelho
Ainda não cheguei a meio e aflige-me a falta de profundidade da escrita e dos temas. Ao início parece uma tese de universidade... Enfim. Leio até ao fim?

"...jogos de videogames"???? LOLOLLOL

Li até ao fim e foi uma perda de tempo.
Rosie
This was just ok for me. I do enjoy philosophical novels sometimes, but I thought this one got all the ideas out it the first 10 pages. The rest of the book felt like he was beating a dead horse. I think I'll be passing on the sequel.
Elaine
Considering this was a sampler of the book, there isn't enough to give a fair review on. Suffice it to say, I would be interested in reading more of The Dreamseller: The Calling.
Viviana Morales
Es un libro muy bonito, en cada pagina aprendes algo nuevo, y nunca te aburres. desde el principio es interesante y el final es muy bonito. me hizo llorar.
Jane
i'm sure the dreamseller didn't just sell dreams to characters in the book --- he enlightened readers as well :)
Emily Iliani
Preachy! But it persisted and it was okay. Some of the lessons are good but there must be another way to make it more well-defined without being too 'nerdy'.
  • Olhai Os Lírios Do Campo
  • The Omega Point
  • How To Love A Princess
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Spin the Plate: a Novel
  • Cupcakes, Lies, and Dead Guys (Annie Graceland Mystery, #1)
  • The Heart of Memory
  • Full Blooded Fantasy
Augusto Jorge Cury (Colina, 2 de outubro de 1958) é um médico, psiquiatra, psicoterapeuta e escritor de literatura psiquiátrica brasileiro. Desenvolve em Espanha pesquisa em Ciência da Educação e, após a construção da teoria de Inteligência Multifocal, continua a desenvolver estudos sobre as dinâmicas da emoção e da construção dos pensamentos. Dirige a Academia da Inteligência no Brasil, um instit ...more
More about Augusto Cury...
A Saga de Um Pensador Nunca Desista de Seus Sonhos O Futuro da Humanidade Pais Brilhantes, Professores Fascinantes O Código da Inteligência

“Internet, jogos de video, computadores, são úteis, mas tâm destruído algo inviolável: a infância. Onde está o prazer do silência? Onde está a arte da observação? Onde está a inocência? Angustia-me que o sistema esteja a gerar crianças insatisfeitas e ansiosas. Fortes candidatas a serem doentes psiquiátricos e não seres humanos felizes e livres.” 4 likes
“Критиката наранява човека, а предубеждението го заличава” 1 likes