Always Dakota

Always Dakota (Dakota Series #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,002 ratings  ·  71 reviews

Buffalo Valley, North Dakota, has become a good place to live--the way it used to be. People here are feeling confident about the future again.

Stalled lives are moving forward. People are taking risks--on new ventures and lifelong dreams. On happiness. And one of those people is local rancher Margaret Clemens, who's finally getting what she wants most. Marriage to cowboy M

Published (first published 2000)

Carla
I didn't like this book as much as I liked her other books - Montana, Blossom Street series, etc. I think my dislike stemmed from the Axel subplot and the handling of Shelley's pregnancy.

Having friends/family who have endured the adoptive process, I really disliked the way Axel was taken from the couple. I work as a volunteer GAL, and the first mandate is to keep the child feeling stable. Unless the home was truly unfit (and this would be determined by a caseworker as WELL AS a CASA volunteer),...more
Erin
I rarely go looking for a Debbie Macomber book, but when I happen to pick one up, I always seem to enjoy it. They aren't overly serious or thought-provoking, but they provide a nice dose of escapism when you are in need. What I always enjoy about Macomber's books is that she makes you believe that people tend to be good at heart, and that life doesn't have to be overly complicated, if you just stick to what is important. I also enjoy that her books tend to run in series or trilogies, so you get...more
Connie N.
The 3rd in the Dakota series started out slow, but I really liked it by the end. I didn't think I was interested in reading about Margaret and Matt since they hadn't appealed to me as interesting characters in previous books, but as their relationship developed, so did their personalities. Actually, this whole book seemed to deal with various people living good lives despite setbacks in their pasts. They had to mature and deal with the consequences of their histories. Calla...Bob and Merrily...S...more
Jill
I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with how much of the book was actually about Margaret and Matt. I felt like their story line was pretty much finished before the book was halfway done, and there were just little tidbits about them later that were neatly wrapped up. That being said, I did like "visiting" Buffalo Valley again.
Two tales dominate this book. We learn more about Buffalo Bob and his Buffalo gal. Then there's Margaret who decides she's going to marry the bad boy in town because she knows she can give him what he wants: her ranch passed on to her after her father's death.
Margie Gundelach
I really enjoyed this book - read it in less than one day! You'll probably ejoy it more if you read th first two books of the trilogy first. These are the first Debbie Macomber books I've - I am now a fan!
Jane(Janelba)
What a beautifully written end to this trilogy. I loved every page of this series.
Linda C
This volume of the Buffalo Valley series deals with Margaret Clemens and Matt Eilers. Margaret has loved Matt for years but is a rough rancher with little knowledge of her feminine side. When her father passes and she inherits is large ranch she proposes to Matt. Matt is seen by the town to be a hard working rancher but a ladies man and rather shallow. He is dating Sheryl, a beautiful conniving waitress when Margaret declares herself. Sheryl wants him to take advantage of the situation and marry...more
Tiffany
This was a similair writing style like her Cedar Cove series. There were several families/characters stories featured. The book kept alternating between them. My complaint with this is there are so many different people and sometimes it was only 2 pages or so of one story and then on to another. I eventually knew the characters and was able to keep track. Another problem with this style is there are stories that are more interesting and sometimes other stories that are more frustrating. At first...more
Jan Mcleod
In the last book of the Dakota trilogy, many conflicts and situations are resolved, or at least better. However, Margaret and Matt face a new serious situation that could dissolve their marriage forever.
Buffalo Valley is thriving again. New business have sprung up and others are in the works. People are moving into the town, and several babies are born.
This is my second reading, and I enjoyed it as much the second time as I did the first. The plot was not dull or slow,and the characters were ea...more
Medea Royal
Just finished the last book in the Dakota trilogy and I have to say what a way to end it. Loved everything about the book especially the way that Calla finally saw what she was doing to her relationship with her mother and needed to fix the rife between them. Also the story between Matt and Margaret ended the way it should have ended because Matt needed Margaret just as much as she needed Matt. I am really glad I read this trilogy because it shows how true life can change in a heartbeat wherever...more
Tammy
I finished this trilogy 'just because' but did not love it. I really don't 'love' anything that Macomber writes -- her work is too saccharine, too contrived for my taste. This book Always Dakota, is the final in the trilogy, and the end seemed rushed -- almost like, Oops, I've got to wrap this whole thing up in 10 pages?? Which she proceeded to do, but to me, it was just ho-hum. If you're a fan of Macomber, you'll probably enjoy these books, as she does stay true to her style of writing.
Linda
After reading my last book (a terrorist thriller where the storyline was so convoluted you couldn't follow it), I was ready for a "light" read. Debbie Macomber never fails to provide these type of books. Always Dakota is indicative of all her books, with multiple characters who all have problems to overcome and relationships to develop. Each storyline is neatly wrapped up by the end of the book in a satisfactory way that leaves the reader feeling good.
Michelle Molinari
Slow starting this time around but the plot was deeper with the adoption drama of Axel and the Shelley pregnancy. I didn’t think I’d like Matt either and Margaret seemed like a pathetic character but their romance grew on me and as much as I disagree with the Axel situation I’m not sure the alternative would send the right message about kidnapping.
A
I think that the reason I liked this one a little better was because Margaret's character made me laugh out loud at times. But there was a reviewer that I completely agree with. Reading this trilogy was like eating Cheesecake for me. Rich, sweet, but you can't have it regularly. Its a once in a while thing.
Patti
This was a story about modern day ranch life. So much has been written about the old west that this was a nice update. I liked the unconventional love story. The characters were bold and life-like. I learned that if you want something very badly and work tremendously hard, it can be attainable.
 Gigi Ann
This is the third book in the Dakota Trilogy, and I enjoyed it as much as the first two. If I want a comfort book to read, I always know I can turn to a Debbie Macomber book and be satisfied. I read the three books back-to-back and enjoyed all three, even though they were very predictable.
Erin
Hmmm .. what to say? I disliked the heroine so much that it almost ruined the final book in the Dakota series for me. Margaret was just too emotionally stunted for me to enjoy. I could not give the book less than four stars because I still love Macomber's portrait of small town Dakota.
Chris
Final book of the Dakota trilogy was excellent, but disappointed this is the last of this set. Macomber wrapped the lives of the characters up nicely, but there were some surprises throughout which made for (some) deviation from the standard romance ending.
Robert Jackson
I haven't been reading long, I have read a good many books in the last 6 months. in the Dakota series is one of my favorite. Debbie makes you feel like you are part of the story. I wish the series had more books. I will read all her books that I can
thanks
Carol
The Dakota Series is not my absolute favorite of all the many books I have so enjoyed by Debbie Macomber. Nevertheless, I still would recommend the Dakota Trilogy to all fans of Debbie Macomber, as it was still a very enjoyable read.
Glenda L
This is the third in the Dakota Trilogy ... enjoyed each and every one of them. What a great place Buffalo Valley, N.D. would be to live ... filled with country charm and a stromg sense of community.
Jeanne
For some reason I like to read books about the Dakotas, Wyoming, etc. Places I will probably never
get to see. They all seem very romantic, hard work to live there if farming, etc. but romantic.
Barbara
Margaret finally gets her man, but at what price? Love tis trilogy. Read it all over Christmas break. Needed the fix of a good short romance trilogy w/ substance.
Annie
These books are extremely predictable. Yet they manage to keep me glued to the page like i don't know what's going to happen. i really enjoyed this series.
Breezy
The final in the Dakota trilogy. I enjoyed learning more about what happened to the characters and enjoyed the new story with Maggie and Matt.
Sandie Mixa
I really enjoyed this series. The characters were so real. Some amazing love stories between couples and many who overcame heartache.
Tami Drew-Huiras
The last in the series--I am always a bit let down when a series comes to an end--I want them to just keep on going and going and going....
Sue
Way to much repeating stuff over and over. I got to the point where I was skipping parts of it because I had alread read it before
Erin Butera
This is the last book in this series, and I enjoyed it. The characters in the town are all likeable and it was an easy "beach" read!
  • Austin (McKettricks of Texas, #3)(McKettricks, #13)
  • Lakeshore Christmas (Lakeshore Chronicles, #6)
  • Fast Track
  • Deep in the Valley (Grace Valley Trilogy, #1)
  • Driftwood Cottage (Chesapeake Shores, #5)
  • Texas Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #3)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #...more
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 16 Lighthouse Road 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5)