Start by marking “Done Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:
Done Gone Wrong

Done Gone Wrong (Southern Fried Mystery #2)

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A chance to be a part of a headline-grabbing case against a drug company has lured attorney Avery Andrews back to Charleston, South Carolina. She agrees to meet with Mark Tilman, a young doctor from her hometown who seems to have something on his mind. When he doesn't show, she figures he stood her up and takes comfort in the stilt restaurant's she-crab soup. But it turns ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Done Gone Wrong, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Done Gone Wrong

Genie
Jul 12, 2014 Genie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Attorney Avery Andrews moves back to Charleston, South Carolina to be on the defense team for the family of a man who died while under the influence of a anti depressent drug. She has been contacted and agrees to meet with Mark Tilman, a young doctor who has questions about the studies this drug company is conducting. Unfortunately Mark is killed in an automobile accident before their meeting. She suspects he was on to something and his "accident" was staged to hush up his findings. Something ab ...more
Erika
Jan 28, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I enjoyed this installment, but not as much as the previous books. I think because it wasn't set in Dacus but instead in Charleston.
That and the fact that the mystery involved mental health drugs and drug trials and since I work in the mental health industry, it wasn't exactly interesting to new to me.

I much prefer the smaller, more intimate stories that she set in Dacus.

The characters were as well written and I wouldn't mind meeting Det. Casper Kirland again but I am glad that I know she moves
P.J. Coldren
Avery Andrews had a case blow up in her face, and she's been hiding out for a little while. Jake Baker has lured her back into a courtroom, on the side of the plaintiff, in a suit against a drug company who manufactured and marketed an antidepressant drug.
Seems a forklift driver with a bad history took his semiautomatic arsenal to work one day and killed a bunch of people, including himself. And the deepest pockets belong to the makers of Uplift, the drug that apparently didn't help one man.

Jak
Suzanna
Jun 22, 2008 Suzanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best part of this book was the writer's style, and that she had obviously done her homework on FDA drug approval procedures. (I would hope so, since she teaches law and ethics at a university.) Otherwise, I was very disappointed.

The main character of the novel is Avery Andrews, who also starred in the other two books I read by Pickens, Hog Wild and Hush my Mouth. In those I liked her, but I had a lot of trouble with her in this one. She was painfully obtuse and unable to put two and two toge
Dharia Scarab
Feb 03, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Denise
Feb 12, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Cathy Pickens novel and my first "Southern" mystery. I greatly enjoyed reading this novel and getting to know the main character. I am looking forward to reading all of Cathy Pickens works.
Marti
Jan 31, 2010 Marti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The copy of the book that I read looked pristine--as if the previous owner who donated it to the book sale hadn't even read it. This is not a series that I would seek out. The lawyers, including attorney Avery (she is a woman) Andrews don't seem terribly sharp. The doctors in this story tend to be sleazy, and there is just an overall sense of good old boy syndrome--you might be a redneck if... It is probably never a good idea to sue a drug company--They have too much money so they can hire all k ...more
Katie
Aug 12, 2014 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book did remind me of my time in Charleston, the book itself did not hold my interest.
Diane ~Firefly~
It had been a really long time since I read the first book, but that didn't seem to matter here, I got enough back story to know what was happening. Interesting legal mystery. Avery is a contradiction. She does some crazy things for a lawyer and seems a bit unaffected by her "accident". It was a bit weird with her in Charleston and the rest of her family having a side story in her small hometown. But the case against the pharmaceutical company was interesting (view spoiler) ...more
Jean
Good mystery, but did not hold together very well.
Lois
Jun 12, 2010 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patty
There is nothing wrong with this book. It was light and just what I needed after finishing two really heavy books. If you are into Southern mysteries with an easy plot, this is for you.

I won't rush out to read another Pickens book mostly because this is not my genre of choice for when I am looking for a light book. I am a romance reader, who was stuck for a book in a house with no romances.

Don't hold my prejudices against Cathy Pickens. She tells a good tale.
Ginger
Sep 29, 2008 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book Cathy Pickens has written. Did not know this when I bought the book but have since bought her first book. Characters are good...writing is entertaining, closing was good but not what you would expect and it basically is telling you there will be a 3rd book. She is a law professor from Charlotte. Definitely will be looking forward to the next book.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone else!
Shelves: mysteries
I just couldn't get into this book. I think it was because the main character is a hotshot lawyer who is planning a big lawsuit, and I don't really relate to that at all. It's about a lawsuit against a drug company who make an antidepressant. Anyway, I got about 6 chapters in and decided I was wasting my time.

CMB
Silvio111
Unfortunate title.
The main character has grown on me a bit. Less clumsy phonetic spelling of dialog than the first book in the series. The plot was better with this one, and I actually cared about most of the characters. This is not-quite-hard-boiled beige rather than Noir, but it's good light reading.
DonnaCarol
The lead character in this series is a lawyer, so predictably there is quite a bit of legal detail. But, for me, it was just a little bit too much. Great detail into procedures etc. that bogged the story down a little for me. But other than that, I liked it well enough to read another in this series.
Jodi Rohovit
This book was good enough to continue after the 100 page mark ( 100 pages is my limit on a book before I can stop reading it in hopes it will get better), however it is not good enough to pass along to my sisters so it will be going to the D.I.
Christina
Mar 06, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julie
Another installment done. The mystery in this book was better this time. Overall I liked this one better than the first, but it was still just okay. Took forever to finish it.....
Book Concierge
This is the second Avery Andrews mystery. Good, fast, entertaining read. I think she's trying to put too much into the book, though. I girued out the bad guy early on.
Sep 23, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I like this series okay. They are good filler books when I want something lite. This one did get a little tedious toward the end, but overall I like the characters.
Melissa Thrasher
Jul 29, 2012 Melissa Thrasher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'm a clinical research coordinator so this book was right up my alley! I really enjoyed this read and will be reading the rest in the series!
Mary
Mar 24, 2009 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2009
Just didn't hold my interest. I really think this author's background does not support her desire to write madcap mysteries.
Mary Lea
Jul 17, 2008 Mary Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered this author while browsing at the book store. The stories take place in the south and I really enjoy reading them.
Shelly
Nov 09, 2012 Shelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book on my actual book shelf--completely unmemorable. I'll read it (or read again) and see if it's worth keeping.
Erica
Nov 03, 2011 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't judge a book by its cover--this definitely was not a cooking mystery (a cursing legal thriller instead)!
Daelith
Jan 17, 2013 Daelith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read
Struggled to finish this book. Just didn't hold my attention. Too much medical and legal detail.
Kbertram
A mystery that was easy to put down, but it was still an enjoyable read.
Sheri
Aug 19, 2008 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute. Kind of like Margaret Maron. Southern lawyer sleuth.
Elisa
Oct 06, 2013 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK, but not terribly memorable.
  • Murder Over Easy (Trailer Park Mystery , #2)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • Grave Apparel (Crime of Fashion, #5)
  • The Tycoon's Princess Bride (The Royal House of Niroli, #4)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
  • Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry (A Scumble River Mystery, #10)
  • Invisible Writer: A Biography of Joyce Carol Oates
  • Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery, #3)
  • Cut to the Corpse (A Decoupage Mystery, #2)
  • How to Overthrow the Government
  • Death of a Garage Sale Newbie (Bargain Hunters Mysteries, #1)
  • A Crazy Little Thing Called Death (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • Secrets of the Kingdom: The Inside Story of the Saudi-U.S. Connection
  • Murder Has a Sweet Tooth (A Cooking Class Mystery, #5)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
Cathy Pickens has been, under different names, a lawyer, a business professor, a university provost, a clog-dancing coach, a church organist / choir director, and a typist.

The most profound influences on her life have been her family, her faith, Nancy Drew, and Perry Mason. She grew up in a small town and, forced to move to "big cities" to support herself, first as a lawyer and then as a professor
More about Cathy Pickens...

Southern Fried Mystery (5 books)
  • Southern Fried