4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Running from paralyzing memories of an attempted rape and the decade of silence and shame that followed, Ortega lands in Mexico at 33, trying not to fall for a much younger local. In 1992 the author, the daughter of champion NBA coach Jack McKinney, was teaching English to Mexican teenagers when she met 19-year-old Carlos, who ardently pursues her despite the age and huge...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 27th 2010

Johanna Moran
Here is the bold, joyous memoir of Susan McKinney de Ortega, an American woman of considerable privilege who went to Mexico in her thirties. There she met and married a poor Mexican man eleven years her junior. It's a touching story, full of heart and juice, and it's beautifully written to boot. Highly recommended.
Jamee Pritchard
In her memoir, Susan McKinney De Ortega displays a very simplistic style of story-telling that’s quite descriptive. There were not too many embellishments or an over-telling of the story, just a light-hearted, and sometimes emotional, delivery of anecdotes. I loved how she described the streets of Mexico and its people. Her prose is elegant and honest. Holding nothing back, she gives her opinion of the good and bad of Mexican culture and how she dealt with it.

I love stories, especially memoirs,...more
Tabby -  IMReviews
Dec 27, 2011 Tabby - IMReviews rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction, Non Fiction, Romance and Memoir readers!
Recommended to Tabby - by: Susan McKinney de Ortega
My Review
This book hooked me from the very beginning, based solely off the fact that it is based off of real life experience. I am a sucker for romance in general and fell in love with the fact that someone, somewhere can relate to this in some form or fashion.

Susan uproots her entire life and moves to Mexico. During her span of being a teacher, never did she think she would fall for a student. What's that old saying, "you can't help who you love?" Losing a never ending battle with her emotions,...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Review: Flirting In Spanish by Susan McKinney de Ortega
Title: Flirting In Spanish: What Mexico taught me about love, living and forgiveness
Author: Susan McKinney de Ortega
Publisher: Antaeus Books, Inc.
Publish Date: July 1, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the author. This did not affect my review.

Why You're Reading This Book:

You're a memoir lover.
You're a armchair traveler.
What's the Story?:

From Publishers Weekly: "Running from paralyzing memories of an attempted rape and the decade of sil...more
Mary Beth
Originally posted on bibliophyte: http://bibliophyte.blogspot.com/2012/...

I enjoyed this book immensely from the minute I picked it up until I finished it this morning. It is not a large book, but it is one I took my time reading because I wanted to savor the story as much as possible. In fact, towards the end I found myself procrastinating a little about finishing it because I simply didn't want the story to end.
I immediately liked Susan; I found her very relatable, laid back, with a writing st...more
Melanie
In her thirties, Susan McKinney de Ortega moves to Mexico where she teaches English to high school students. One student catches her attention : Carlos. Never did she expect to fall in love with her nineteen year old student. She resists at first but then realizes they both have feelings for each other and more important, Carlos helps her get through dark times. She moves in with Carlos and his family but suffers from cultural shock. The daughter of a champion NBA coach now has to deal with pove...more
Jill Dobbe
I enjoyed the author's story and reading about her life in San Miguel, Mexico. She has a courageous and adventurous spirit and was lucky to finally find her soul mate.
Erin Comer
I really enjoyed reading the story of a woman who found herself living in Mexico wondering where the next step in her life would take her. Unlike most of us she totally immersed herself in a new culture and fell in love. This is a great read!
Christine

In this book a woman finds herself teaching English in Mexico and falls in love with one of her students. I enjoyed reading this book and learning things about the Mexican culture, this a good book about life, love, and the unexpected.
Wonderful story of self-discovery, love, forgiveness and intimacy in the face of difficult odds. Written by my dear friend, Sue McKinney de Ortega whose beautiful soul is readily revealed in this autobiographical telling.
Rick Skwiot
An improbable yet touching true love story. At turns poignant, funny and heartbreaking. Plus a fascinating inside look at contemporary Mexican working-class life. Highly recommended.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Marcela
Marcela marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Kristina Bachler
Kristina Bachler marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2013
Mary
Mary added it
Sep 21, 2012
Lindsay Henderson
Lindsay Henderson marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2012
Kathleen Sheppard
Kathleen Sheppard marked it as to-read
May 10, 2012
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Creative Reviews: Giveaway: Flirting in Spanish by Susan McKinney de Ortega 1 6 Jan 12, 2012 08:47PM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway: Flirting in Spanish 2 48 Jan 12, 2012 08:40PM