Start by marking “A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #13)” as Want to Read:
A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #13)

A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge #13)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,625 Ratings  ·  362 Reviews
Scotland Yard detective Ian Rutledge returns to solve his most exciting and shocking case yet in this latest entry in the bestselling series hailed as "outstanding" by the New York Times Book Review

A breathtaking blend of psychological complexity, haunting atmosphere, compelling twists, and impressive detail, the novels in the Ian Rutledge mystery series have garnered thei
Published January 4th 2011 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Lonely Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lonely Death

Lawyer
A Lonely Death: Charles Todd's Mixture of War and Revenge

It's time to confess that I have my own guilty pleasures on my library shelves. Mine happen to be the Inspector Ian Rutledge novels by Charles Todd.

If you've not met Inspector Rutledge, this is definitely not your starting place. A Lonely Death is his twelfth case. The series dates back to A Test Of Wills.

So, I suppose that a bit of background is in order. Rutledge is an Inspector for Scotland Yard. He is not the favorite of Chief Superint
Lewis Weinstein
I have read and enjoyed several Charles Todd novels ... this one, not so much. There were so many characters, so many themes, and none of them were very well developed. I guess the most defining aspect of my lack of excitement is that I didn't really care who the murderer turned out to be. Not good for a "who-done-it."
Lynne Perednia
Feb 15, 2011 Lynne Perednia rated it really liked it
One by one, WWI veterans in a small village are murdered. Alone in the wee hours of the morning as farmers or brewers, they are garrotted with the identity disc of a soldier left in their mouths. The names on the discs are not theirs. Why are they being targeted? Why are other men's names placed in their mouths? Was there anything that happened during the war that led to being murdered afterward? Or before that, when they were all lads in the village?

Haunted Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge
LJ
First Sentence: The sod had grown over the graves, turning the torn earth a soft green, and the rows of white crosses gleamed brightly in the morning sun.

Veterans of The War survived the horrors of fighting only to now be murdered in this Sussex village of Eastfield. Inspector Ian Rutledge of Scotland Yard is sent to find a killer whose mark is killing with a garrote and leaving identity disks, but not their own, in the mouths of the victims. How many more will die and might one of them be Rutle
Amy
Jan 16, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
The plot was great, the characters were great, the setting was just splendid. Can we please have just one happy thing happen to poor Ian? Is that too much to ask? Overall I felt depressed when this book ended and even though the writing was good I'm not sure I'll continue with the series.
Beth
May 23, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing

London, July, 1920 – Chief Inspector Cummins is clearing out his desk in preparation for his retirement. Ian Rutledge is helping him pack up his books when Cummins begins to talk about his years at Scotland Yard. He tells Rutledge that he enjoyed the hunt, the chase to catch the criminal but there is one case he has not been able to solve and it has haunted him for fifteen years. “I was a little superstitious about it, if you want the truth. I kept the folder on my desk for years, telling myself
Amy Corwin
Jan 04, 2011 Amy Corwin rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the Inspector Ian Rutledge historical mysteries and this one is yet another engrossing read. Todd blends heartbreaking detail of the post WWI era with the psychological complexity of men trying to resume their lives after a devatating war.

In A Lonely Death, Rutledge is sent to Eastfield to investigate the deaths of three men. The men were garrotted when they were alone and identify tags were left in their mouths. But the names on the tags are not the men who were murdered. Th
Sue
Dec 03, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: readers of historical mysteries
The latest (for me) of the Ian Rutledge mystery series finds him in the middle of career and personal crises. This time he is sent to Sussex to unravel the death by garrote of three local war veterans, all young men who had managed to make it home only to be murdered for no apparent reason. This case would tax Rutledge in personal and professional ways before its ultimate solution. As always, Hamish continues his invisible presence throughout the case, sometimes frighteningly strong. As well, he ...more
UKDana
Nov 03, 2010 UKDana rated it it was ok
A period detective story, set just after World War One. Scotland Yard detective Rutledge is called in to investigate the deaths of three men in a small Sussex village. It would appear initially that the deaths are unrelated apart from the timing. When Rutledge begins to ask questions a variety of possible connections begin to surface.

The writing here is very restrained, as befits the time period. There are continual references to the war and its effect on those involved. The quality of the writi

Richard Brand
Apr 16, 2012 Richard Brand rated it really liked it
This Rutledge story was a little bit more straight forward as to the murderer. There were lots of complications but it was a little more satisfying than a few others I have read. I was glad to see that Rutledge is starting to think about a new romance, but Todd sure put an end to it quickly. Maybe it will come again.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
The best Ian Rutledge--and I've read all but the most recent one. A fascinating plot, good characterization, and at last a climax that really ends things in a worthwhile way, instead of just finding out whodunit out of left field. This is a worthwhile series for those who like the setting: post-WWI in England, and the Rutledge character.
E
Apr 09, 2011 E rated it it was ok
These books are just starting to feel a little too formulaic and Rutledge just too distant. How about we have a book from Hamish's perspective?
Gail Richmond
Oct 13, 2016 Gail Richmond rated it really liked it
The writing team of Charles Todd has done it again. There is nothing so satisfying as an Inspector Ian Rutledge novel, and this time the inspector himself has to fight to prove he is innocent while searching for hidden clues.

Well-written with suspense and the finely woven mystery elements in a detailed English setting, this novel will entertain with both its historic elements of post-WWI and the atmosphere of a contemporary serial killer.
Dorothy
It is 1920 and ex-soldiers who survived the horror of the trenches in World War I are being killed in a particularly gruesome manner in the quiet countryside of England. Three men have been garroted, and in the mouth of each has been found one of the identification discs that World War I soldiers carried into battle. However, the identification disc with which each man was found is not his own, and, in fact, appears to be unrelated to that particular ex-soldier. It seems a classic case of misdir ...more
Lisa
Jan 01, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
It’s always tough to come into a series of books in the middle. I imagine it’s hard for an author, as well — to make sure that new readers have enough information to understand the story, without boring your longtime readers. A Lonely Deathby Charles Todd does an excellent job of involving you in the ongoing story. It made me want to seek out the rest of the series and add it to my TBR list.

A Lonely Death is part of the Inspector Ian Rutledge mystery series. Rutledge is a war veteran with a ride
Jeannie Walker
Jan 08, 2011 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing
Three soldiers meet a horrible death in a quiet countryside, after they successfully survived the horrors of the great war of World War I. There is a serial killer at loose and Inspector Rutledge of Scotland Yard knows this when a fourth soldier is found dead. Each one of the murder victims were strangled in a horrific manner. One of the victims even had a false leg and was no match for the clever and vicious killer. The murderer leaves little to no clues, except for similar items (a small ID di ...more
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Nov 21, 2013 Tess Mertens-Johnson rated it really liked it
A Lonely Death is part of the Inspector Ian Rutledge mystery series. He is a veteran and his second hand man is Hamish.

Chief Inspector Cummins, Rutledge’s mentor, is retiring, leaving behind the files on a cold case that has nagged at him for years. Sadly, he does not leave Rutledge his office and position, as much as he would like to. Rutledge has made some enemies at the top of the ladder, and they will plague him throughout the book.

Someone is murdering men in Eastfield that were WWI veterans
Joy
Feb 06, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Judy
Jan 08, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it
It's 1920 and World War I has been over for two years, but it is obvious that for many in Europe the war will never be over. People are identified and judged by what they did during the war, where they served, who they lost, and what physical and psychological wounds they carry. Inspector Ian Rutledge is called to a small village in Sussex where three former soldirs have each been garroted, three days apart, and each was found with a service ID disc in their mouths. Is revenge a dish best served ...more
Laura Edwards
Apr 11, 2015 Laura Edwards rated it liked it
Darcia Helle
This is the 13th book in the Ian Rutledge series, though you'd have no trouble picking this one up as a stand-alone. A British mystery, set just after WWI, the mother and son writing team called Charles Todd does a great job of transporting readers back in time. Inspector Rutledge is haunted by the war, as are most of the men we encounter. The women are left to deal with husbands who have returned much different than the men they'd married. As readers, we're constantly reminded of the lasting ef ...more
Deb
Mar 09, 2013 Deb rated it really liked it
A Lonely Death is one of Charles Todd's best Inspector Rutledge installments yet. As office politics roil, Rutledge is sent to Hastings to investigate a series of murders involving WW1 vets. The investigation cuts close to the bone as far as his psychological health is concerned as does the suicide of a friend and fellow soldier. Rutledge is yet again the victim of his supervisor's hatred, and a surprising revelation is made when Meredith Channing asks for his help.
This was a fast-moving, grippi
Carol
Feb 08, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I find this series more interesting than the other one by Todds. The shell-shocked Inspector Rutledge who has to face some of his war-induced inhibitions is believable. He also harkens back to Golden Age heroes like Wimsey and Inspector Alleyn. The Todds (mother and son) are competent writers and the plot here satisfying. But again there is to me something lacking. Perhaps I am simply too immersed in Golden Age originals.
Anna Huber
Mar 18, 2012 Anna Huber rated it it was amazing
I've been steadily working my way through the Inspector Ian Rutledge series, and I have to say that this might have been my favorite so far. It's intriguing and fast paced, and several of the plot lines that have been running through almost the entire series reach critical turning points. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. However, newbies to the series should certainly start with an earlier entry, otherwise they will miss the importance of these events.

Kate
Jan 26, 2017 Kate rated it really liked it
Interesting but my frustrations with the series remain. A too-neat tie-up of the two mysteries, a chase rather than deduction (in fact, I started to wonder if I'd missed something repeatedly, but even upon rewinding found there were just abrupt transitions and characters who were not differentiated enough). Still a good mystery compared to the sexist dreck I've been finding lately.
Sandy
Jun 27, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
One of the most interesting Inspector Ian Rutledge books in the series with multiple plot lines and poignant revelations. Engaging and mysterious throughout.
Sheila
May 07, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post WWI. Murders are happening and it looks like it has a link to PTSD and experiences in the war.
Mariah
Jan 15, 2017 Mariah rated it really liked it
I love the Ian Rutledge series. This was a well-written and plotted book, following the investigation much like a real investigation, following all the twists and turns, reaching dead ends and then trying another theory. It kept me very involved in the story until the end. One of the best books in the series. I would give a 4.5 if possible. The only reason I deduct a half a star is because there was a subplot that was interesting until the end of the book. There was a shocking conclusion to this ...more
Karen Keely
May 16, 2017 Karen Keely rated it really liked it
This was a good addition to the Ian Rutledge series -- lots of Scotland Yard politics to contend with, as well as the memories of the war that always haunt characters in this series, plus star-crossed lovers and class hierarchies, not to mention a good mystery on top of everything else. What more could a reader want?
Jun 12, 2017 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Another moody, interesting mystery by Charles Todd. The subplot mystery seemed to come out of left field a bit and wasn't as well-integrated with the main story for my liking, but the gloomy brooding tone of the main mystery was a good rad.
  • The Mapping of Love and Death (Maisie Dobbs, #7)
  • The Blood-Dimmed Tide (John Madden, #2)
  • Evil for Evil (Billy Boyle World War II, #4)
  • We Shall Not Sleep (World War I, #5)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • Ragtime in Simla (Joe Sandilands #2)
  • The Return of Captain John Emmett
  • No Mark Upon Her (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #14)
  • When Maidens Mourn (Sebastian St. Cyr, #7)
Charles Todd is the pen name used by a mother-and-son writing team, Caroline Todd and Charles Todd.
More about Charles Todd...

Inspector Ian Rutledge (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • Wings of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Search the Dark (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #3)
  • Legacy of the Dead (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #4)
  • Watchers of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • A Fearsome Doubt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #6)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • A Long Shadow (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #8)
  • A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)
  • A Pale Horse (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #10)