Start by marking “A Seed Is Sleepy” as Want to Read:
A Seed Is Sleepy

A Seed Is Sleepy

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  97 reviews
Award-winning artist Sylvia Long and author Dianna Hutts Aston have teamed up again to create this gorgeous and informative introduction to seeds. Poetic in voice and elegant in design, the book introduces children to a fascinating array of seed and plant facts, making it a guide that is equally at home being read on a parent's lap as in a classroom reading circle.
Published March 1st 2007 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Seed Is Sleepy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Seed Is Sleepy

Lisa Vegan
The illustrations are glorious. They’re also accurate and very educational. This is an outstanding science book about seeds and the plants that come from them. The text is convincing about just how amazing seeds are. At first I didn’t like the adjective headings, but I quickly changed my mind because the knowledge they provided is first rate. However impressive the information (and there are some really interesting facts here!) the illustrations are what make this book. I perused them for quite...more
Kathryn
Like its predecessor, An Egg Is Quiet the author/illustrator team make us realize that seeds are beautiful, fascinating and utterly worthy of our attention and appreciation. The front inside cover pages show many, many seeds ranging from the very small to the big--then the back inside cover pages show the plants that sprout from the seeds. Between those pages is a glorious exploration of many different types of seeds--seeds that float on air or water, seeds that are tiny as a freckle, seeds that...more
Ch_hayley Medsker
A Seed is Sleepy is a beautiful introduction to the world of seeds and plants by Dianna Aston. Each detailed page provides a characteristic of a seed, and explains a bit about their role and functions. "A seed is secretive...it does not reveal itself too quickly. Most seeds sleep through a season or two," is one of the unique ways Aston relays facts about seeds. The layout is what seems to be most incredible. The words are almost poetic, water color illustrations are large and small, captions se...more
Jenifer
"A seed is clever. It knows to seek the sunlight...to push itself up, up, up through the soil. But it must wait awhile before that happens." Beautiful. Gorgeous illustrations.
Jenny
This is a great non-fiction that doesn't overwhelm but does inform in a single sitting and an accessible way.
The illustrations alone are enough to recommend this book. They show the seeds and the plants from which they come. There is information on each page, but not so much that kids are overwhelmed by the amount or depth. My husband and I even learned new facts. The size of the coco de mer seed (60 pounds) seemed unbelievable to my son (7) so we did some outside searching for information. Look...more
Peregrine
Detailed and vibrant illustrations; exquisite text, both to look at and to read. And I learned of drift seeds!
Amy
Oh, dear. Auntie messed up tonight. Unfortunately, I allowed the kids to have a sugary snack, so part way through A Seed Is Sleepy my niece was practically vibrating from the sugar coursing through her body. The buzz made it challenging for her to concentrate on this story.

What she was able to focus on she enjoyed very much. She started out very intrested, she was looking at the various seeds, she was asking questions and drawing conclusions. The scientist in her was hard at work. After the suga...more
Michelle
Dianna Aston’s A Seed is Sleepy is simply amazing. Appropriate for older preschoolers and kindergartners, this delightful book reads like a cross between an elegant field guide and a beloved poem. Not only is it a beautiful blend of Aston’s graceful, lyrical language and Long’s gorgeous illustrations, but it is also chock full of information about different types of plants and seeds, with detailed labels and eloquent descriptions of how they are nourished by nature and how they grow. Long’s ink...more
Nancy
It is only because this book is amazing -- such gorgeous and clear illustrations and simple, rich-language phrases, and all about how seeds are seeds! -- that I am eager to point out the few things that kept this from being Amazing.
1. I think all seeds are pictured "actual" size" -- but it would be nice to have that made explicit.
2. Why not just say "shoestring"? To say, "child's shoestring" makes it gratuitously cute.
3. Why do I need to know that some seeds are monocots and som dicots? You wer...more
London Richards
A Seed is Sleepy is a beautiful introduction to the world of seeds and plants. Each detailed page provides a characteristic of a seed, and explains a bit about their role and functions. This is a wonderful book about the life cycle of seeds, their different shapes and modes of transportation.This informational picture book is a good way to introduce the topic of life science, particularly to a third grade classroom, that studies plants life cycle, needs for surviving, and reproducing.
Brendan
A great piece of narrative non-fiction for elementary school readers. This book tells the story of varies different types of seeds and how they germinate depending on their origin or depending on the season. Told from the perspective of the individual seeds, this personalizes a basic biology for young readers. The water color illustrations are excellent as well. They surround the borders of the page and are all individually labeled (ex. Japanese Maple leaf to Dandelion).
Dolly
Oct 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book about the life cycle of seeds, their different shapes and modes of transportation. Our girls giggled at the notion that some seeds are naked and they were amazed at the story of the date palm seed who lay dormant for many, many years. The information was succinct and the narrative in script was lyrical - perfect for holding a child's attention. And the illustrations are absolutely gorgeous.

This story was selected as one of the books for the April 2010 - Environmental and...more
Dana
I love books with science and knowledge, I think they are important in any library and for every age. I didn't like science in school, so I'm trying to educate myself in that department starting from scratch, and the illustrations are lovely.
Ch_beth Rice
A Seed is Sleepy by Dianna Hutts Aston delivers information in a simple way for young readers. Seeds are described by various attributes such as “a seed is adventurous”. The text builds seamlessly on these descriptions to convey interesting facts. For example the adventurous seed leads to how seeds travel to find a place to “put down roots”. Illustrator Sylvia Long uses watercolors to beautifully include details of various seeds and plants. Some of the text is printed in cursive so young student...more
Katy
I really love all the information that's packed in here, but I wonder how the format of it connects with children. The cursive, the staggered pieces of sentences, the feminine style...
Emma
This would be an outstanding book to use and form a lesson plan around. This story serves as an introduction to seeds and plants and uses simple words and beautiful drawings to exemplify this. The story builds on the attributes of a seed and facts are thrown in as well. There are words that students may not know in this story, however, the author does a great job of describing and the illustrator does a great job of drawing, and by using these two tools, students will learn new terms such as ger...more
Lauri Meyers
Gorgeous pictures and beautiful text make this nonfiction books on seeds a lovely read.
Kelly Triplett
I picked this book out at the library because I was looking for a seed themed read-aloud for second graders. It has some good information in it, but I was very disappointed to see that a lot of the text was written in cursive. For this reason, I didn't use it for the intended purpose. Perhaps older children who can read cursive might also be interested in learning more about seeds, in which case, this book would be perfect. Otherwise, not so perfect- picture book and cursive seem like very disjo...more
Heather
LOVED IT! Such a lovely lovely book!
Anandi
Beautiful illustrations and story!
Mylinh
A beautiful book that tells the story of different types of seeds and how they grow. The gentle prose leads itself well to a read-aloud and children who are eager to learn about plants and seeds will love to examine the pictures. Would be a great book to read to introduce seeds and an activity to have children grow their own plants from seeds.

Growing Good Kids, Excellence in Children's Literature Award 2007, Junior Master Gardener & America Horticultural Society
School Library Journal, starre...more
Kelly Havens
This informational picture book is a good way to introduce the topic of life science, particularly to a third grade classroom, that studies plants life cycle, needs for surviving, and reproducing. Readers are informed of many types of seeds, including pumpkin, sea heart, dandelion, sunflower, Japanese maple, etc. Readers are also taken through the steps involved in a growing seed, including when it’s sleepy, secretive, growing to be different sizes, adventurous, generous, thirsty, and hungry.
Barbara Ritchie
Beautiful book. Lovely pictures and story.
Melissa Gordon
Here's another great non-fiction picture book from Dianna Hutts Aston. The illustrations, just like in An Egg is Quiet, are amazing and deserve to be shared with children of all ages! This book is litered with seed facts and facts about plants. This would also make a great supplement to science class. Non-fiction picture books are important and should be used! I will definitely be using this book to introduce seeds and plants to my classroom!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Stunning in its sensational simplicity and resplendent with scientific details, this gorgeously illustrated and warmly worded masterpiece is a stirring introduction to the modest magnificence that is life.

Other books mentioned:

* An Egg is Quiet

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Crista
This beautifully illustrated book gives detailed explanations to the process of various seeds becoming a plants. There are charts and labels throughout the book to help the reader gain more knowledge.

The end pages in the beginning show various seed types, while the end pages at the end of the book show the various plant forms of those seeds.

This is a great book to read at bedtime or to a class that is studying plants.
Kelly
The books offers multiple levels of entry to address the needs of diverse readers. The book can stand alone on the one line of large print per spread, but older or more interested readers can delve into the additional paragraphs. The detailed illustrations are captivating, and my preschool students often point to sections of the illustrations in succession saying, "What's this? What's this? What's this?"
Deana
The Illustrations are beautiful, delicate and accurate. I plan to use this a lot in my teaching this year. I'm currently working at an environmental education center in Washington. This book made me really happy as a bookseller as well because I could recommend it for kids from 2 all the way to 8 and feel confident that they would each get something out of it. Of course I've always been a sucker for illustration.
Yahya Han
“A Seed is Sleepy” can provide students with an introduction to seeds and basic plant structures. It can be more appropriate for science classes and students will become aware of examining photosynthesis and all of the necessary components that need to be present.Teachers can integrate this book as a part of sciences classes. Also, this book can be an excellent example for children to learn botany.
Karly Kovac
I thought this was a really good book, and its informational too! I really liked the pictures in the book and the detail the author gives! The student not only enjoys a good story line, but they are learning while they are reading the book. There is also some humor in the book which will make kids laugh. I thought this was a really creative story and one that little kids would really enjoy reading.
  • Actual Size
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
Dianna Hutts Aston was born in Houston, Texas, attended the University of Houston, and worked as a journalist for several years. LOONY LITTLE is her first picture book with Candlewick Press. She says, "It was one of the hottest summer days on record. My mind, of its own accord, kept wandering northward, to a wilderness of snow and ice, the Arctic. While listening to the news one evening, I heard P...more
More about Dianna Hutts Aston...
An Egg Is Quiet A Butterfly Is Patient A Rock Is Lively The Moon Over Star Dream Something Big