Start by marking “Legends of the Fire Spirits: Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Fire Spirits: Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar

Legends of the Fire Spirits: Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar

When Westerners think of a genie, the first image that comes to mind may be Barbara Eden in her pink harem pants or the illuminated blue buffoon from the animated Disney film Aladdin. But to the people of the Arab and Islamic worlds, the picture is dramatically different. Legends of the Fire Spirits looks beyond Westernized caricatures to immerse the reader in the vibrant ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Counterpoint (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Fire Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Fire Spirits

Steve Cran
Jan 22, 2013 Steve Cran rated it it was amazing
There are only two books written about the Djinn that are widely available for Western audiences . This book and another called “The Vengeful Djinn” . I am going to recommend that you read this book. Robert Lelbling tackles the subject of the Djiin both in-depth and broadly. This book goes into the history of the Djin that predates Islam. The author covers the demons and spirituality of the civilizations that came before The Muslim Arab civilization. Such cultures would include Mesopotamians , ...more
Sharon Buchbinder
I purchased this book at the recommendation of a friend who knew of Mr. Lebling's ongoing research in this topic. As an author in the paranormal romance genre, I am always searching for solid works that will serve as resources for my fiction. Mr. Lebling's book did not disappoint in this goal. In fact, he cost me a lot more money in books (in a very good way) because this book is so well researched and well-referenced that I wanted his source materials, too. Mr. Lebling has provided an open-mind ...more
Jenny Schwartz
Jun 21, 2011 Jenny Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Jinn-spirational!

I know it's a poor pun, but it's the honest to goodness truth. This book has inspiration on every page if you're a paranormal/fantasy author -- and even if you're not.

I have little knowledge of Islamic teachings and tradition. "Legends of the Fire Spirits" is a window into the lived experience of the cultures that assimilate and interpret those teachings.

Jinn and the speculation of if and what they are is fascinating. The stories are brilliant, well-researched and chosen. Victor
Chris
Jun 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
This book is a detailed history of jinn and not the Robin Williams Hollywood version. Lebling is engaging and discusses many different sources while looking carefully at the stories. The book is full of interesting facts. The only draw back is that towards the end, it starts feeling like a list.
Azeezur Khan
Aug 19, 2013 Azeezur Khan rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book and a definite must read for anyone interested about the Djinn. The book has so much information it is often times quite difficult to get one's head around it all, however, if read slowly and with a bit of thought - it's great.
Jowel Uddin
Jan 20, 2013 Jowel Uddin rated it it was amazing
Legends Of The Fire Spirits:
Jinn And Genies From Arabia to Zanzibar
Book Review

To the Western half of the world, the creatures are known as genies –friendly, out of lamps, and wish granters. To the remaining part of the world, the same creatures are known as jinns –at times horrifying creatures much like demons or ghosts. Jinns and genies are one and the same and are evident throughout literature, film, and throughout cultures. Jinns are found in the realms of Islam as they were created bef
Gavin White
Feb 05, 2014 Gavin White rated it liked it
Shelves: mythical-beings
Although I am very interested in this subject, this book didn't grab me in any way. It could easily have been 100 pages shorter and better for it. There is some useful information here but after a while it all seemed to be repeating itself.
The book would certainly be improved with some illustrations and a few maps to show the distribution of the tales. However my greatest criticism is that there was no analysis of the material presented nor any research into the origins of the Jinn.
Even a quick
Shakalery
Jul 25, 2012 Shakalery rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Read
Recommended to Shakalery by: No one just searched for it myself
Jinn and Genies from Arabia to Zanzibar

Robert Lebeling
Foreword by Tahir Shah

Great book to read
Found great material on the life of jinns their origins and their background
Jinns, angels and Stories from the time of HAzrat Solomon
The origins of Jinns from Iblees till now and their types

You will found it great helpfull if you want to know more about jinns, fire spirits
Donna
May 10, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: writers; those interested in folklore or religion
Recommended to Donna by: random search on Amazon
Good on the whole. It has a wealth of ideas and stories that writers will find insipring, and is very interesting at the same time - particularly the country by country sections where real-life encounters are revealed.

Negatives: too many long foreign names make certain sections quite confusing. It's also a little repetitive at times. Better to read little by little alongside another book.
Elentarri
Jul 10, 2013 Elentarri rated it really liked it
A very interesting, scholarly book about everything related to jinn/genies. This book covers the nature of jinn, their origins (before and during Islam), jinn behaviors, types of jinn, historical encounters, locations and jinn in cultural contexts. No "new-agey", fluffy stuff.
Julia Phillips
Feb 16, 2013 Julia Phillips rated it it was amazing
A unique book that draws together and comments upon the stories and legends of Fire Spirits (Jinn and Genie). Very readable and a comprehensive study of the legends.
Shelly
Dec 09, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folklore
This is a good exploration of legends of the djinn.
Amy Softa
Aug 30, 2014 Amy Softa rated it liked it
Shelves: own-paper
I recently developed an interest in learning more about Jinn or Genies and picked up this book in order to satisfy some of that curiosity and use as reference in the future. On the whole I liked the book and it had a lot of useful information, coming to the subject with little for knowledge outside of Hollywood that is, but there were a couple problems I had with the book. Still I think if you are researching the topic, this is a book you should look into.

I found this book was very useful in hel
Colin
Nov 10, 2015 Colin rated it really liked it
Well researched, well written, it is a great source of information on all things jinn.
The sheer volume of information is amazing but it can occasionally make a bit dry. For me the bigger issue is the repetitiveness of the information - I believe that the author anticipated that some readers would skip to particular chapters/sections so he repeated many facts many times.
Overall these issues are minor and regardless of whether it is read cover to cover or piecemeal, it is an excellent reference.
Marty Monahan
Dec 30, 2013 Marty Monahan rated it really liked it
A good survey of Jinn the Islamic world.

There were two main things that lost me.

The first was the deluge of Arabic names and titles. A background in Arabic would be helpful here.

Lebling usually used primary sources and this is good but would all too often rely on hearsay. It would be difficult to document some folklore certainly, but to rely on second hand information is difficult to accept.

With the above said this work would be helpful to the general reader interested in the subject. The note
Lionkhan-sama
Jul 30, 2016 Lionkhan-sama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book looking into the literature of the ages concerning demons/jinn. An excellent compilation of information regarding these creatures, according to the writings of many, many geographic locations.
Overall an excellent general resource for this rather particular metaphysical topic.
Erin Michele
Oct 10, 2016 Erin Michele rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I first learned of Jinn while traveling through Morocco, and this book does an incredible job of diving into this fascinating subject.
Michael Durant
Very informative overview of Arabian folklore. Easy to understand, if a bit disorganized. I would have liked more information on most of the regions covered in the geography section.
Tony Proano
Tony Proano rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
'Roxann Wright'
'Roxann Wright' rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
Shaynah
Shaynah rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Cam Rob
Cam Rob rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Qazwsx
Qazwsx rated it it was ok
Aug 20, 2010
Stardust
Stardust rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
Skyla
Skyla rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2012
Mishma
Mishma rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Lisa Kumar
Lisa Kumar rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2015
Bilcha
Bilcha rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Passport to Magonia: On UFOs, Folklore, and Parallel Worlds
  • Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld
  • Meeting the Other Crowd
  • Arab Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Stranger Magic: Charmed States & The Arabian Nights
  • Saladin
  • The Pyramids & the Pentagon: The Government's Top Secret Pursuit of Mystical Relics, Ancient Astronauts & Lost Civilizations
  • The Dark Sacrament: True Stories of Modern-Day Demon Possession and Exorcism
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Arabian Nights: The Marvels and Wonders of The Thousand and One Nights
  • The Sacred History: How Angels, Mystics and Higher Intelligence Made Our World
  • From Asgard to Valhalla: The Remarkable History of the Norse Myths
  • The Gnostic Scriptures: Ancient Wisdom for the New Age
  • Food for the Dead: On the Trail of New England's Vampires
  • The Apophenion: A Chaos Magic Paradigm
  • Herbs and Things: A Compendium of Practical and Exotic Lore
  • Death to the Dictator! : A Young Man Casts a Vote in Iran's 2009 Election and Pays a Devastating Price
  • Whisperers: The Secret History of the Spirit World

“[…] One night, five men from Nuweiba were travelling past the mountain, and one of them fell behind, and was separated from his companions. As the man – whom we will call Ahmed – wandered in the darkness, wondering where his friends had gone, a beautiful woman suddenly appeared out of the night and blocked his path. She gave him a choice: ‘Sex, or be eaten!’ It was not a difficult decision. As the Bedouins put it, ‘the man did what a man has to do.’ […]” 1 likes