Start by marking “Jimmy” as Want to Read:
Jimmy

Jimmy

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  650 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Jimmy's world is a place where a boy can grow to be a man, even if he's "special." Where angels hover, mostly unseen. Where danger can happen, and hearts can falter but love is never wasted.

From best-selling author Robert Whitlow comes a poignant tale of innocence and courage in the traditi
Published September 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published November 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Jimmy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimmy

Leah
This was a very sweet book written from the point of view of Jimmy, a young, mentally challenged boy. Whitlow did a very good job portraying Jimmy's thoughts and feelings. Reviews of the book compared it to To Kill A Mockingbird, one of my all time favorites. I was not disappointed.
The theme of the book reminds me of 1 Corinthians 1:27:

27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

Jimmy, while foolish and weak in th
Susan
Well this was the book that was calling me from my bookshelves to read as soon as it was time to start the challenge. I don't know why I waited so long to read this. From the back cover of the book: Once you look at the world through Jimmy's eyes, you'll never see it the same again. And it's true, life will be very different for me, this is the most heart wrenching book that I've read in a long time. I've laughed and cried in more times than I can remember in a book. I've discovered a new author ...more
Emily
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I liked it, but then I didn't. It was sometimes hard to tell if it took place in the 50's or if it was present-day. Some little things bothered me, like some of the "old fashioned" language, and sometimes the tense or timing would change without any warning and I would have to re-read a bit. I was extremely angered and disappointed in the ending, and because of that I will never read another book by this author.
Cindy
What a good, heart-warming story! I've never read anything by this author but he's kind of a cross between Frank Peretti and John Grisham...faith crossed with the legal system. Jimmy is a teenage boy with mild cognitive impairments - he doesn't learn well, but sure does teach those whose lives he touches many lessons about love, loyalty, faith, friendship and the more important things in life. I'll definitely read more by Whitlow!
Lynn
Such a great story! I liked both endings ... but the anternate ending seemed much more in keeping with the way the rest of the book was written, I thought.
Deb
Plot Summary: What happens, When & Where, Central Characters, Major Conflicts[return]The reader first meets Jimmy as a 12 year old boy about the take the stand as a witness in a case involving a policeman who mishandled a case. His father is the lawyer for the defendant, and despite the misgivings of Jimmy's mother Jimmy's testimony helps them win the case. Jimmy has some mental limitations that make him different from other boys, but one thing he does know is how to tell the truth. We learn ...more
Libby Sellers
Jimmy is completely different than the authors other books and I would agree its in the tradition of "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I would add "Forest Gump" I'm not sure when the books is supposed to be set but I felt like I was reading a book from the 50s or 60s but then something would come up that led me to believe it was a more current setting.It may have been the small town southern setting that led to that feeling.
Everyone would be blessed to have a Jimmy in their lives. He has a pure heart
Loraine
This book is the incredible story of Jimmy a mentally challenged young teenager but a youngster who has an incredible recall memory of any conversation he hears. Looking at the world through Jimmy's eyes throughout the story gives you an appreciation for his deep faith, his belief in angels and his love for his family, best feriend and his dog. As Jimmy faces problems that develop from conversations he overhears that involve crimes, Jimmy's life is endangered. I would have given this book a 5/5 ...more
S.m. Dean
My absolute favorite of all his books. Have read everything I can find that he has written and this is my favorite- Jimmy captured my heart!
D Carr
Oct 30, 2014 D Carr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to D by: G. Lemaire
A sweet tale of family ties, loves and losses centered around a very special boy and his relationships with those who love him (including Jesus).
Liz
Jimmy is the story of a young boy relating to God, his family, his grandfather, his church, and the world around him. It's about faith, love, integrity, perseverance, and valuing relationships.

Although Jimmy was born mentally slow, he has a determination to get beyond his mental limitations and even the physical limitations that people put upon him. People learn that Jimmy isn't as incapable of things as they had first expected.

I encourage you to read this sweet story. I gave it 5 stars because
justablondemoment
This book was a little over the top with the sugar coated goodness and got in the way of my enjoyment. I agree with a lot of the other reviews in that I did not like the original ending. I felt it was rushed and was so different from the rest of the book it was like the ending to an entirely different story. The alternate ending is so much better. Being a christian myself I don't mind books based on faith, however, this book seemed a bit pushy to me. This is the first book I have read from this ...more
Amy
You know, I really LOVED Robert Whitlow's other books, but this one just didn't do it for me. It seemed forced. Jimmy is a mentally challenged child in the present-day South. People think he is "slow-witted" so they don't pay much attention when little Jimmy is around. Unfortunately for them, Jimmy has a great memory and many times repeats things he has heard, which gets folks in trouble. Poor Jimmy. He means well, but doesn't understand that a lot of people out there are mean jerks and don't li ...more
Lori Lenhard
My mom passed this book to me and I enjoyed it. It was heart touching and bittersweet.
Phyllis C
Didn't like the ending, but Jimmy is an enjoyable character and makes a nice story.
Elishya (lace)
Hard to read or get into if you struggle with acceptance. The story of a little boy who is mentally disabled but accepted by his community, or at least most of the community. He is a witness to a horrible crime and the one person who can make a guilty verdict stand through his testimony. But up until the day of the trial he is carefully watched over by his family, until he is kidnapped by the accused to keep him from taking the witness stand. You see the transformation of a young boy with a ment ...more
Pharma
Larisha
I cried throughout this book by Robert Whitlow & I rejoiced and shared the main character, Jimmy's accomplishments... As I too have a younger brother who has special needs and who has taught me how special life is and how we are to treasure & love on people... It is a gift! The ending was hard but the author captures what I want to say in this: Jimmy's success lay not in what he did, but in who he was. His dad prayed to God, asking God to make him more like his son Jimmy... We too are to ...more
Robin Rife
This is a very touching and heartfelt book. A must read, with tissues. <3
Anjanette Barr
Wonderful book! I have a feeling I'll like anything by this author. I've only read two so far, but he's very talented. He is a lawyer as well as an author, so the legal aspects of his novels are spot on. I think they appeal to men and women readers. This one was heartfelt and emotionally moving all the while being suspenseful. This author doesn't let his ultimate plans for his characters out until he's good and ready, which has really kept me reading.

Would have been a 5, but the ending wasn't my
Jesse
I'm glad the retard drowned lol.
Kelly
Loved loved loved this book!
Sharon Davies
Well written, but very sad
Nicole
Jimmy is a book that tells of the life of a child, Jimmy, who was born "slow" but due to an accident his limitations became more evident. This book shows how he deals with life and how he touches the people around him. I was enjoying myself with Jimmy's antics for the most part of the novel until the ending. That was one of the saddest endings to a book that I've ever read.
Mr. Crusader
Phenomenal story with a lot of heart and sole that is also a real page-turner. Excellent writing, great characters. As an agnostic, I didn't care for the religious portions of the story, but it was part of the story, so it is what it is. Lots of interesting elements to this book, so be sure not to miss it!

Narrator for audio version was fantabulous!
Clara Roberts
This is a story told thru the eyes of a boy with a dull IQ Robert Whitlow is a master story teller. There is a pointancy as Jimmy struggles to do things that come natural to other children. Even simple things like riding a bicyle presents a challenge to Jimmy. The hurt from hearing himself refered to as 'retard' is difficult to accept.
Michele Minor
This is a good book that shows that a person with limited mental capability can be faithful and express their faith sometimes more honestly than we can. This book is more about Jimmy Mitchell himself rather than about the court cases in the book, though the case at the beginning of the book does have an impact on the story.
Acarrawa
Well-written, sensitively written. Lots of details. The author obviously has very good knowledge of challenged individuals. Good description of family relationships. Though somewhat predictable, this book was difficult to put down. A good read. Clean. Appropriate for older children (maybe 12 and up) as well as adults.
Leigh Ann
I really loved this story about a simple boy with an amazing story and the parents behind him. Some would call him "slow" but this book really brought out how smart he was, and the true faith of a child. It is not a totally happy ending,but appropriate and not totally sad either. A very unique book!
Jerri
Robert Whitlow has been compared to John Grisham....I wouldn't know....I've never read John Grisham. Anyway....this book is my favorite book of all times. By the time I finished this book, I felt like Jimmy was a special friend to me. I love this book!!!
  • Dying Declaration
  • Dead of Night (Hidden Faces Series, #3)
  • Uncharted
  • Emerald Windows
  • Bad Ground
  • Maggie (Dead Don't Dance, #2)
  • Deception (Ollie Chandler #3)
  • House of Mercy
  • The Whole Truth
  • Tested by Fire
  • Ends of the Earth (Bug Man, #5)
  • The Treasure Box
  • Boo
Robert Whitlow is the best-selling author of legal novels set in the South and winner of the prestigious Christy Award for Contemporary Fiction. A Furman University graduate, Whitlow received his J.D. with honors from the University of Georgia School of Law where he served on the staff of the Georgia Law Review. A practicing attorney, Whitlow and his wife, Kathy, have four children. They make thei ...more
More about Robert Whitlow...
The List Deeper Water (Tides of Truth, #1) Life Support (Alexi Lindale, #1) The Trial The Sacrifice