Start by marking “Justin Morgan Had A Horse” as Want to Read:
Justin Morgan Had A Horse

Justin Morgan Had A Horse

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  5,510 ratings  ·  116 reviews

Joel's face suddenly lit up as if he had thought of something for the first time. He spoke now to the horse, as though he were the one that mattered. "Why, come to think of it, you're just like us, Bub. You're American! That's what you are. American!"

In 1791 a Vermont schoolmaster by the name of Justin Morgan comes home with a two-year-old colt named Little Bub. Taken as

Published October 1st 1991 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Justin Morgan Had A Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justin Morgan Had A Horse

Abigail Larsen
Meet Marguerite Henry, one of my favorite childhood authors. Why? Because all the stories I read by her were about horses, and like most young girls, I was horse crazy. Justin Morgan Had a Horse was her only chapter book that I remember reading through three times. I recommend it to all fellow horse-lovers out there. The trueaccount (with a fictional twist) of how the popular breed Morgan came to be in the late eighteenth century, you’ll find it inspiring and fun.

It all begins in 1791 whenlikabl
Abigail Wallace
I never was a horse crazy girl, but I loved Misty of Chincoteague even still. MISTY is Marguerite Henry's best known horse novel. When I stumbled over this one last month, looking for a good read aloud for my 7 and 9 year old sons, it was a no-brainer! With the high drama of horse, his boy and their nation coming of age, not to mention thrilling horseraces and backbreaking hard work complete with both heartache and happy endings, JUSTIN MORGAN did not disappoint! All that in 170 pages. JUSTIN MO ...more
If you went to Vermont, back in the time of the late 1700s... you would meet Justin Morgan. He was a man who had a problem. It all started because a farmer owed Justin some money. The farmer couldn't pay the debt, so instead, he gave a horse. To some people, that would be a wonderful thing to receive, but Justin didn't need a horse. He needed money.

One might say, "Sell the horse"--but that's just the problem. No one wants to use their money on a small, (VERY small), scrawny animal, who is weak
My oldest just LOVED this title! :)
We read this book as part of our American History studies this year. It takes place just after the Revolution and covers several more years on past the War of 1812. My kids really enjoyed it but then we haven't read a Marguerite Henry book that they didn't love.
This book, Justin Morgan Had A Horse, is a classic tale about Justin Morgan, the founder of a great American breed of horse. It all started because a farmer owed Justin some money. The farmer couldn't pay the debt, so instead, he gave him two horses. One large horse was named Ebenezer and the little runt was Lil Bub. Once they arrived back in Vermont, Justin Morgan sold Ebenezer and kept Lil Bub for Joel. Joel Goss was a young boy and one of Justin’s students. Justin had asked him to break the c ...more
Kate Schwarz
Reading a book about horses by the one and only Marguerite Henry with beautiful illustrations by Wesley Dennis…it just makes my heart go back to a happy place, to my horsey childhood.

This is a great piece of historical fiction about how the Justin Morgan horse came about. It's a story of one strong-willed boy and one strong-willed colt. What I like about it for a children's book is that the Justin Morgan horse is barely a horse--it is really a pony. But it is strong and fast and has a sweet disp
Laura Verret
Justin Morgan didn’t really want a horse. What he wanted was cash to pay for his doctor’s bills. But his friend, Farmer Beane, has nothing else to give him as payment for the loan Justin generously gave him. So Justin accepts it. Joel, a student who has been traveling with Justin, is tickled when Farmer Beane throws in a scrawny little colt as part of the bargain.

But Joel’s father won’t let Joel keep Little Bub, as he calls the horse. Justin Morgan lets him gentle Little Bub, but then rents him
Reading this book was like opening a door onto the past and descovering the history of a breed from the eyes of the very first foundling Sire, back at the beginning of all things. This story came to me from America, travelling a great distance like the adventure that this one little colt went on all those years ago. The most famous of the American breeds; the Morgan, is brought vividly to life in this charming childrens tale that is a national treasure of a horse/ pony story. The book may be des ...more
Rachel R
Justin Morgan was broke. He got two horses from a man named Farmer Beane who owed a debt. Justin sold the oldest horse, Ebenezer, and kept short and stubby Little Bub because no one wanted him. Joel, Justin Morgan's student, took Little Bub and trained him as the first Morgan horse. This book took place in Vermont, which is a New England state.

This book is like me because I would be willing to find an animal that no one wanted and take care of it. Also I would love to own a horse like Joel's hor
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – All ages. Children will enjoy the single storyline; while adults enjoy an easy afternoon read (especially while waiting on a bus, show, doctor, or other appointments).

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, and few enough that you won’t forget who is who.

Setting? – Real world, even includes President James Monroe.

Written approximately? – 1954.

Does the story leave

I must be romping through my second childhood because I still love this classic equine tale about the founder of a truly American breed of horse. I enjoyed it now just as much as when I was young; Henry's story holds up with successive readings since the human emotions are sincere, and the dramatic events are true. The young protagonist, Joel, has a passion for horses; as a young man he dreams of finding his beloved, Lil Bub, the first Morgan colt whom no one wanted.
Even mor
Though a bit old fashioned, this is an interesting story based on fact. A Vermont schoolmaster, Justin Morgan, looks to settle some debts, so along with his young student Joel Goss, travels to a farmer friend to seek some money owed him. The farmer offers him two horses, in lieu of money, and Joel and the colt Little Bub become fast friends. The story follows the close but separate lives of Joel, serving an apprenticeship, and Little Bub, who doesn't look like much but is an amazingly intelligen ...more
Thomas Bell
I thought it was good. The story started off pretty slow. Justin Morgan is a teacher, and he acquires a couple of horses while traveling with a young man named Joel. One of the horses is worth a lot, and the other is too small.

After a while, it turns out the small horse is worth a lot more - it has strength, speed and intelligence. When Justin Morgan dies, the horse is named after him, and now his descendants are considered one of the first American breeds of horse.

Anyway, the story is well-writ
Another Henry horse book to enjoy. The setting for this was New England in the early 1800s. There was the one room school house where the teacher boarded with a local family. There was information on early apprenticeships. But mainly there was a boy who loved a horse and did everything he could to own it.
This horse tale by Marguerite Henry is lovely. It is about a young horse and a boy named joel. This horse is the father of the Morgan breed and the story weaves historical fiction with a touching story of a boy and his horse. The illustrations are great and help tell the story.

Recommended age 9-13
Reading Level 4th -6th grade
The back says a true story, which if it is added a lot of interest for me. It was written for I'd say 9-12s so they didn't add a lot of detail, but the story was making me believe that this was where the title morgan came from for this breed of horse, and yet they ended it not knowing who the sire and dam was of Little Bub.

Once again, I found story of long ago where parents were cruel and it makes me wonder why it took so long for things to change. I cannot stand to read characters like that and
Sep 18, 2007 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Shelves: animals
I know I read this book, but I can't remember when exactly. I loved learning about how the Morgan horse came to be since I grew up for the first 10 years of my life at the racetrack watching my father train Thoroughbreds. I was obsessed with horses from a yound age and read any horse related book I could get my hands on. I saw "The Black Stallion" more times than I can recall and wished I could find an awesome black horse to call my own. I made my parents take me to the University of Vermont's M ...more
Good historical book. Author did a great deal of research on where Morgan horses came from, including in her sources interviews with descendants of both the school master for whom the horses are named and the boy who gentled him. Well-written!
Loved this one as a kid, especially when all horse books had that certain appeal. I think this is also where I first learned about indentured servitude ("Seven years! Seven years!").
Missy Cunningham
Great love story of a boy and his horse. It just happens to be a very famous horse. I own a registered Morgan and everything they say in the book is true about Morgans! Wonderful hearty breed of a horse who choose his owner. Loyal and loving. Great story.
My first horse was a Morgan horse. They're a wonderful, intelligent, gentle breed of sturdy little horses. Henry captured their founding sire's story beautifully.
Caffee K.
Aug 03, 2014 Caffee K. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any horse lover
Wonderful story that is told in a voice suitable for children and adults. A must read for any horse lover, and especially good for people who have/admire/want a Morgan.
Mandy J. Hoffman
This is a fun story to read aloud to your children. It was a great story that wasn't too sad, was full of history, and a good length to keep their attention.
Tanita S.
Oh, my goodness, I loved this book when I was a kid.

At first I didn't. I wasn't horsey, and it was a book about a BOY. But, it was one of the rare fiction books I was allowed to read, because someone suitably churchy gave it to us, so I got to read it. And I think it surprised me, with its detail and life, and the fact that the boy had feelings and longings and failed and tried and succeeded. I learned that a.) boys were probably not subhuman and b.) horses might be interesting.

And then a few ye
I really like this book, it held my interest to the end. Wish it would have told a little more.

This book is a reading level of 5.8 AR points are 5.0
Very interesting, though a couple of places dragged. Except for the actual race,quite different from the Disney movie about Morgan.
We read this as part of a Sonlight's Core D homeschooling schedule. My kids really enjoyed this book, and so did I. A wonderful story.
This was a great, feel-good book. My dad has referenced "Justin Morgan's horse" so many times that when I saw the book, I knew I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed.
  • Swift Rivers
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • Calico Bush
  • Minn of the Mississippi
  • George Washington's World
  • Moccasin Trail
  • Toliver's Secret
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more
More about Marguerite Henry...