Start by marking “Around the House and in the Garden: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Healing, and Home Improvement” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  36 reviews
For six years, "House & Garden" editor-in-chief Dominique Browning has written a monthly column that weaves together personal stories and tips about home decorating, gardening, and raising children with universal themes of domestic life. In "Around the House and in the Garden," Browning adapts and expands these well-loved pieces, adding dozens of new essays, to create ...more
Published April 9th 2002 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Around the House and in the Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the House and in the Garden

Dominique Browning used to the editor of House and Garden until it suddenly closed shop. I always looked forward to reading her “Letter from the Editor”. They were graceful ruminations in life, most frequently about well, home and garden. This collection of short essays remind me why I was such a fan.
“My story begins with the end of a marriage, the end of a household, the end of a home. It is about mourning, and the passage through what I came to think of as a living death ---or perhaps, living
As I was thinking about favorite books I have read, the two books by Dominique Browning (she has a third that was published in 2010) are among my all-time favorites. In fact, when I first read this book several years ago, I immediately started reading it again. I very rarely reread books, so that was my highest compliment. I liked it just as much this time. I was a faithful reader of Browning's monthly column when she was editor of 'House and Garden.' In fact, I think I clipped and saved most of ...more
I liked all of this book but I loved much of it. I think that there is plenty to love here but which parts are meaningful may be different for each reader. About one third of this book was so good that I made personal notes in order to remember the images, remember the feelings that they invoked.
I loved Dominique Browning's Slow Love, so when I saw Around the House and in the Garden: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Healing and Home Improvement in the stop at the New York Botanical Garden last Saturday (June 21), I grabbed it. I wasn't disappointed. This collection of short pieces is like a beautiful box of artisanal chocolates-I savored each one. I felt Browning's emotions and was able to see the world as she does. Reading this made me more determined than ever to have a home (as opposed to jus ...more
Stephanie Holsather (A Fun House)
Dominique Browning, the editor of House and Garden magazine, is a wonderful storyteller. A quote from the inside cover describes this book perfectly "Around the House and Garden is a book for anyone who has ever felt the need to reinvent a life or a space, who has ever fallen in love with the idea of home- the place where we reinvent ourselves...". I love each chapter as Ms. Browning's short essays weave their way through various house projects in relation to how they help her heal from a painfu ...more
The first sentence in this book is: “When I was divorced my sense of home fell apart.”
So I took it out of the library and read it quickly, chapter by chapter.

Unhappily, I know of three very dear people in my life going through a divorce. I can’t really say I would recommend this book to any of them, unless they won’t be bothered by the affluence of the author. (When my sister had cancer, I would read a book about someone w/ cancer and say, “you probably don’t want to read this…”)

This book is wha
I love it when I stumble upon a book on a library's shelf that is perfectly suited to my current situation in life. Dominique Browing is a magazine column writer whose eloquent if not painfully accurate thoughts on divorce, raising kids jointly, and surviving the monumental task of creating a singular home from what was once shared spoke to me on every level. The undercurrent of pain and melancholy are peppered and uplifted by her knowledge of the natural world (gardening and botany), stories fr ...more
Doriana Bisegna
I first heard of Dominique Browning through an article that was reprinted in our Montreal Gazette. I loved her writing style: honest, simple and revelatory. I quickly googled her and found that she has written three books that I quickly purchased. This is the first that I've read and each chapter is a snippet of a part of her home life. I am so jealous of her home and they way she finds beauty and comfort in the most mundane things...a fireplace, a chair, her bathtub...each chapter had me reflec ...more
The book was good but I so enjoyed "Paths of Desire: The Passions of a Suburban Gardener" that I didn't feel this quite measured up against it.
Beautiful, beautiful book. I've had this book for a long time knowing I would read it one day. That day came and I knew I wasn't ready to read it until now. I had no idea what the intricacies of the book were, but she Dominique wrote this book about me. I just don't have a garden to heal me any longer.
Better than the last book, but somewhat whining and self-serving
Christie Purifoy
Lovely, enjoyable. Soothing. A little too lightweight.
4.5 stars. Beautiful.
Denise Kruse
I enjoy Dominique Browning's writing. I used to look forward to her editorials in the now defunct House & Garden magazine because she brings a poetry, a sensitivity to one's home, one's life. She's not afraid to "go there", to admit her lows and share her highs. In this book, she achieves that with beautiful narrative about her own house and garden. I appreciate her sensibilities; often her writing makes me think I am speaking with an introspective, yet generous friend.
There is something I love about Dominique Brown's soothing tone throughout this book. I actually read it in two nights a couple of years ago, but I pulled it back out because it seemed like a good summer read. I have been reading a chapter a night before bed--and it's the perfect bedtime story. Though she's mourning the loss of her marriage, she doesn't harp on it, but beautifully conveys some good life lessons.
Dominique Browning, editor of House & Garden magazine is one of my favorite writers. Her editorial pages each month are beautiful, charming and just awesome. She muses on all things surruonding the interior and exterior space of our homes. Her first memoir shares how her home helped her move the grief of a painful divorce through vignettes that discuss the comforts and pains of home. I love this book.
Though her "background" subject is divorce, she notes that divorce is a lot like other losses. I read it for the losses involved in moving, and found it very helpful, even enjoyable. For one thing, I better understand my vicarious living through magazines and books on home design and decorating, so much easier than digging in to the real thing. But it is time to do some more of that. . .
I felt sad during and after reading this book. A true story about a woman's journey through and subsequent years lived out in her garden and home. It was painful to read as she talked of how a house "knows" when a family is breaking up. I experienced that myself when the pipes burst after new owners moved into my old house - it was crying in grief; the same thought this author had.
I really liked this book and the author's exploration of how a home reflects and impacts the emotional needs of its owner. She writes really well and many of her descriptions are lovely. My main complaint is that the 'chapters' were way too short for me, more like essays, and I found myself wanting her to say more about a particular subject.
An interesting read as Dominique gives a look into her life after divorce and who she gardened, healed, purchased a new house by the ocean and how she and her children adapted and learned to still be a family. This is an easy read, the chapters not too long. It was a nice break from some of the other books I've read, easy brain candy.
After re-reading the summary of this book, I know I've read it, I just can't remember when, nor much about it. I'm giving it three stars as a middle-of-the-road rating because I obviously neither liked nor disliked it enough for it to make a huge impression. Maybe someday I'll re-read it to find out....
I absolutely loved this book. I love short stories and each chapter in this book reads like a lovely little story about a part of a home and a part of life. It really makes you look around and remember what is so special about everything in your home. A beautiful book!
Love the way Dominique Browning can make the simple things in life become three dimensional - her writing engages all five senses and leaves you wanting to read anything written by her. Her analogies for home and life are memorable, original, and touching.
Connie Harkness
A simple little relaxing book, the author is able to take simple, little bits of life and express exactly things that I've always thought. A good book to read in a relaxing bath or on a hammock. Very enjoyable.
This is a collection of essays, and a very quick read. Browning uses some lovely turns of phrase. It is a more meditative and thoughtful book than I expected. I would definitely recommend it.
Feb 15, 2008 Sabra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone going through divorce or a break up, or moving
Shelves: non-fiction
Discussing her emotional connection to home and place, this author touched my heart when writing about how she coped (or didn't) with her divorce and raising her two boys.
I loved this book. I think it's better than Slow Love, but that may be because she talks more about her actual house in this one. i enjoy her ruminations on domestic life.
Quite interesting, but I had time to read only about half of this before it was due back at the library. I haven't felt compelled to take it out again.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Going through a divorce? Dominique Browning gives deals with her pain by recreating her "home and garden". Chick lit? Maybe, but healing is individual.
This book was a little bit too disjointed for me, it's like a bunch of random essays put together in one book. And the title is very misleading...
  • Our Life in Gardens
  • Manual of Woody Landscape Plants: Their Identification, Ornamental Characteristics, Culture, Propagation and Uses
  • Onward and Upward in the Garden
  • Recovering: A Journal
  • The Education of a Gardener
  • Flower Confidential: The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful in the Business of Flowers
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • Love and the Mystery of Betrayal
  • Down the Garden Path
  • My Garden (Book)
  • The Gardener's Year
  • A Voice from Old New York: A Memoir of My Youth
  • Herbs (DK Handbooks)
  • If It Hurts, It Isn't Love: And 365 Other Principles to Heal and Transform Your Relationships
  • American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • A Year and Six Seconds: A Memoir of Stumbling from Heartbreak to Happiness
  • Healing Grief
Dominique Browning writes a monthly column called Personal Nature for the Environmental Defense Fund website. She is a regular contributor to the New York Times Book Review and also writes for O, Body + Soul, Wired, and Travel & Leisure, among other publications. Before House & Garden she worked at The Edison Project, Mirabella, Newsweek, Texas Monthly, and Esquire. She is the author of Ar ...more
More about Dominique Browning...
Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness Paths of Desire: The Passions of a Suburban Gardener The New Garden Paradise: Great Private Gardens of the World House of Worship: Sacred Spaces in America Living Architecture