Start by marking “Justin Thyme” as Want to Read:
Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme (The Tartan of Thyme #1)

Justin Thyme lives in a castle overlooking Loch Ness. The day he turns 13, he receives a watch with a puzzling message hidden on it. When he tells his father of his plans to build a time machine, the Laird of Thyme reveals fragments of past espionage and warns his son of a ruthless enemy keeping him under constant surveillance.
Published September 1st 2011 by Inside Pocket Publishing (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Justin Thyme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justin Thyme

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marta Morrison for TeensReadToo.com

I absolutely loved Justin Thyme. It was a roller-coaster of a story. It had adventure, mystery, humor, and fantasy. I especially loved the glossary and appendix which was at the end of the book. It had the definitions of the scientific words which were used but also defined the college prep words and the Scottish words that are bewitching to us U.S. readers. As a young reader I absolutely hated having to look up a word when I am in the midst of a go
Brian Clegg
Apr 05, 2012 Brian Clegg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally review children's fiction, but occasionally a fiction book comes along that has enough useful science content that it fits with me: this is such a book.

If there’s one thing that pulls the reader into a book, it’s a good mystery – and that’s exactly what happens with Justin Thyme. With the intriguing environment of Thyme Castle, really strong characters and a plot that thickens like the best gravy browning it’s a very enjoyable read. It can be a touch whimsical – a character name
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Okay, so when I first started reading Justin Thyme, I thought it was really weird. But then, as I read more, I got really, really into it. The technical jargon comes complete with a dictionary in the back, and the dialogue is rather humorous at times. The notebook pages are mind-bogglingly complex and the mystery is suspenseful and hooks in all the right places.

My favorite aspect was by far the mystery. It was fantastically done. It really kept me wanting to read “just one more chapter” before I
Lisa
Jan 18, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a children's book admittedly but very well-written with amusing characters, plus plenty of twists and turns. The plot centres around an eccentric family who live in a remote Scottish Castle, Thyme Castle which is further North than Inverness. The lead character, in this book is obsessed with time-travel and the machinery to achieve this thereof, was named Justin by his parents (you should get the drift of the author's intentions here combined with his surname). Throw in a simian 'talking ...more
Aranruth
Apr 28, 2016 Aranruth rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddie-lit
Justin Thyme is a thirteen year old billionaire inventor who receives a mysterious watch on his birthday and no one knows who it came from. When he sees an old man, who may be his long-lost grandfather, at a crossroads, Justin suddenly understands the nature of time and plans on building a time machine. A spy in the castle with connections to his father’s past gets wind of this plan leading to a kidnapping. Justin must beat the clock to finish his invention to save his mother and figure out who ...more
Zarina
Sep 14, 2011 Zarina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
The first book in the Justin Thyme (see what author Panama Oxridge did there?) series sets up the story of boy genius Justin - a moral version of Artemis Fowl - and his eccentric family, which includes a talking, computer-savvy and sometimes-nanny ape, named Eliza.

The book is heavily focused on time and traveling through time to be precise. Though for all of Justin's diary entries on the subject it only becomes present in the main storyline in the final chapter (neatly setting the story up for
Fiona Ross
Mar 01, 2013 Fiona Ross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing concept and a hugely entertaining read, laced with genuine schoolboy humour. I adore puns, so this is definitely my kind of book. A great theme - Procrastination is the Thief Of Time (TOT, which mysterious individual complicates the lives of the Thyme Family: Justin Thyme, Robyn Thyme and Henny Thyme. Pater familias is Sir Willoughby Thyme and I can't resist wondering if his middle initials are O.N. as in Willoughby O.N. Thyme? Geddit? Oh, and I forgot the baby, Albion Thyme. But, ...more
Lenore Webb
Aug 20, 2012 Lenore Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The books were truly hard to stop reading at all. I love how the plot has quite a few twist to it. Justin is 13 and embarks on an amazing adventure. The world all together is different while Justin works on an invention that is the cause of his adventure. The clock is ticking wile he works to solve a mystery that proves to be harder and stranger by the second. The book gives you footnotes and a few pages to solve the mystery yourself. I give these books a "billion" stars! Be sure to look at the ...more
Susan
Aug 30, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Justin's mother is kidnapped, the ransom asked is the time machine that his inventor father is building. The problem is that his father has sworn off time machines. It's Justin who has the idea for how to build it. He's also convinced that someone in their Scottish castle is acting as a spy for the kidnapper. Heaven knows there are enough suspicious characters around, and since the spy may be a dupe, nobody--not even his sister--is above suspicion. First of a series.
Ryan
Dec 31, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not stunning, it was quite fun. Justin is a boy genius multimillionaire, living in the family castle with his small but odd family, a bunch of secrets and a fascination for time. The book is part adolescent sci-fi and part mystery, and it is the mystery part that got interesting. I knew going in that it was a series, but appreciated that the story ended at the end, not two chapters before the end. Quite likely to read #2.
Frances
Apr 05, 2013 Frances rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-aloud
A fun read about a Scottish boy genius who needs to develop a time travel machine to save his mother from a kidnapping. Lots of puzzles within puzzles. My one dissatisfaction is that, like so many YA/children's novels currently being published, this is clearly set up to be part of a trilogy so the plot isn't fully resolved by the end.
April
Mar 27, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Fun read and you learn about science/physics/quantum mechanics and the possibility of time travel. The Thyme family has an interesting make up - Sir Willowby former inventor, Lady Henny animal tv show host, Justin, Robyn and Albion and Eliza the gorilla and an odd assortment of staff.
Set in Scotland. Henny is kidnapped. Justin is trying to invent a time machine.
Nov 06, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justin Thyme, child genious, has just figured out his hteory of time travel. He theorizes that time is woven together like a tartan. YOu can't reweave it...so how can you travel through it without causing it to unravel? And can you change things in the past....like save your mother from a kidnapper?
Sandra
Oct 21, 2010 Sandra rated it liked it
It was one of those more-for-a-younger-age-group books that I had borrowed on a whim, which I usually rate as 'it was ok', but it had rather interesting ideas about time, and I did enjoy it, so I guess I 'liked it'.
Ashley
Oct 31, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty awesome! I never guessed that the spy involved would be so close to them! I can't awit to read the next book (if there is one)
Naomi
Jan 27, 2012 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Becky, Traci
Shelves: series-to-finish
I quite enjoyed this book and wished my library had the second one. This is a book my kids might enjoy having read to them.
Robyn
Sep 17, 2012 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so amazing. It was funny and super clever. I really liked the fact that it is a teen book, but the author doesn't talk down to them. It's smart and fast paced.
Bethany
Jun 11, 2012 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book! It is very engaging and well written. The plot is fresh with enough well thought out twists to keep you guessing.
PJ Christo
PJ Christo rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Tracey
Tracey rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Houston
Houston rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2013
Carissa Leveille
Carissa Leveille rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2011
Luna Eternity
Luna Eternity rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2011
~+-+Vanora+-+~
~+-+Vanora+-+~ rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Justine Laismith
Justine Laismith rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2015
Tarun
Tarun rated it did not like it
Sep 01, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

The Tartan of Thyme (2 books)
  • Thyme Running Out (The Tartan of Thyme, #2)