Start by marking “Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet” as Want to Read:
Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  190 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Stacia Kane writes novels filled with “...flaming hot sex...” (Romantic Times), “...sizzling romance that heats up every page ...” (Darque Reviews), and “...spicy sex scenes beautiful enough to make you cry and hot enough to steam windows at the same time...” (Michele Lee). She has published more than a dozen romances and urban fantasies, with publishers like Ellora’s Cave ...more
Published July 19th 2010 (first published February 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

Tez
May 03, 2014 Tez rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything in this book was originally published on the author's blog. Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet does NOT contain new material. It is simply copied-and-pasted, formatted, printed, and bound. Which is a shame, because it needs a light copyedit, and maybe a content editor for when the author goes off on tangents. Also says stuff like, "On Monday I'll be talking about..." which needs to be edited out. Also mentions that she hoped to have a guest post (which in book format I guess would be a chapter ...more
Gemma
Feb 23, 2011 Gemma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Have found this to be a very informative book and very helpful. I hope to use some of the hints and tops in my writing in future!
Silent_count
I feel the need to warn you that I am not a professional author. Or even an amateur one for that matter. However if you're like me and entertain fantasies about one day unleashing your literary masterpiece upon the (sure to be) fawning masses, you could do far, far worse than reading this book.

It's ostensibly about writing hotter-than-hot sex scenes and Ms. Kane does explain it all with unexpectedly impressive clarity. Thankfully she's not shy or coy about discussing sex and the "dirty" words us
Crys Wood
With the flippant title, the tiny price, and the crappy cover, I didn't expect much from this book. But it reviewed so well, it was worth a few bucks to give it a shot.

And it was SO worth it.

It's actually a lengthy series from her blog published as one volume, which is much more convenient than reading on-site and worth paying for. Her tone is light and the lessons/lectures are full of joking asides and detailed digressions, which may sound distracting, but it made it fun to read.

That said, the
Claudia King
Aug 22, 2013 Claudia King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review transcribed from my blog

* * *

The first thing to note about Be A Sex-Writing Strumpet is that it's an adaptation of a series of articles originally posted by the author on her blog, and the format very much reflects its original incarnation. Chapters are relatively short, conversational in tone, and easily consumed in one sitting. This, for me, was one of the things I really appreciated about this book. It's not a deep and thoroughly complex analysis of sex in fiction, it's not a stuffy a
Anna
Feb 06, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit concerned when I read in one review that this book simply compiles a bunch of blog posts off the author's website. I don't mind paying for compiled blog posts, but I'm not keen on wasting time slogging through random, disjointed information.

Luckily, that wasn't at all the case. Yes, the chapters began as blog posts. But Kane clearly plotted out the whole book in advance and came up with one very cohesive whole.

The result was eye-opening and explained why so many of the sex scenes I'v
Shannon Clements
May 20, 2015 Shannon Clements rated it it was amazing
Helpful even for us non-romance writers

Really an excellent little guide of sorts. I know it was a blog, but I liked having it on my Kindle to reread and go back and skim. I'm definitely not a romance writer, but sex scenes kind of come with the territory for anything these days and they're kind of my Achilles heel, so I found this a fun guide to see why things are described a certain way and so on. I'm still not terribly on board with all the description, but I think that's something you tailor
E.M. Prazeman
May 08, 2015 E.M. Prazeman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of a blog series. I consider myself fairly deft in the art of writing sex scenes, but I wrote following my instincts rather than with any technical understanding, and I suspect my results were uneven as a result. Now I have a better grasp of what works, and why.
I strongly believe that Ms. Kane has a lot more to teach. I'm hoping that this book will be just the first in a series. The subjects she hinted at in her final installment had me begging for more. BTW, reading this book mad
Lisa Annesley
Apr 05, 2012 Lisa Annesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, writing
Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet is a collection of 24 blog posts that read like 24 short chapters of a 130 page book. Yes, you might be able to find the blog posts online. I don't know--I haven't looked. I like having everything on paper so I can highlight it and pull the book off my shelf when needed. Okay, disclaimer over. Now to the review...

This is a down and dirty (hee hee) how-to on writing sex scenes in erotic romance and romance novels and novellas. It's the most detailed, the most graphic, th
Elizabeth
Jul 31, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I admit, I picked up this book with a little trepidation. I got my start writing erotica, and I've been crafting sex scenes for over 8 years, with nearly 50 published short stories, novellas, and novels under my belt. I figured I knew just about everything there was to know about writing sex. I was wrong.

Stacia Kane's approach to developing a sex scene blew me away. She takes the time to explain her process in great detail, from the importance of minute details to penning believable dialogue --
John Brooke
Feb 17, 2014 John Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
The naked facts about writing sex scenes taught by a successful writer. Candid, step by step explorations, humor and examples each chapter a lesson. Inspriational and showed me that it's all about the characters, their feelings and thoughts foreplaying their way to the act itself. How they are changed by the raw intimacy. This manual certainly has bouyed my confidence to write compelling sex scenes in my novels. Thank you Stacia Kane.
Emily
Mar 18, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Very informative

It was exactly the book I needed! If you're looking for a book on the writing process and all the little tidbits in writing erotica, this is the book for you. The author also had a lot of writing examples to help illustrate all her points.
EmilieSA
Aug 18, 2015 EmilieSA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Loved it! It's full of good tips, lots of examples to help explain and understand things and it was fun. It could have been an awkward read but it really wasn't, I just felt like I was chatting with a friend who was giving me tips over a coffee. I had a blast
Sheila
Jul 09, 2014 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not impressed... i felt i was being talked to as if i were at a conference or seminar, only i was reading... i read better writing from other books, and other authors in this genre. whoever numbered the pages did a poor job, as well as whoever edited it for publishing also did a poor job. sure, worth a read if you want to find out the author's thoughts on writing in this genre, but not worth the money i paid amazon for it.
Rachel Knight
Jul 01, 2012 Rachel Knight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any writers who will include sex scenes in their books
Shelves: writing
I admit to being guilty of judging books by their covers (who isn't?) and wasn't expecting anything great from this book.

I was wrong though, I loved this book. It has great, practical advice on everything from dialogue to descriptions to pacing.

I would probably recommend it to people who already have some stuff written because most of the exercises in the book involve editing, or re-reading what you've already written, and I didn't have any sex scenes written when I read this book, so I lost a
Shiori
Aug 23, 2012 Shiori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I have no interest in writing sex scenes for fiction at this point in time, this eBook still made for great reading. Kane breaks down and explores the composition of these scenes in a casual and appealing style. She also provides writing and brainstorming activities for those seeking to put together their own story featuring well-composed sex scenes. Definitely worth the pocket change price tag if you're interested in writing sex scenes for (primarily romantic and erotic) fiction.
Bernard DeLeo
Jan 17, 2011 Bernard DeLeo rated it it was amazing
At the time I read 'Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet' I had not been able to sell any of my manuscripts to a publisher. Using 'Strumpet' as a guide, I gave one of my paranormal adventure manuscripts a makeover into an erotic/paranormal and was able to get my first professional writing contract under a penname. It didn't mean much in the way of money but I was able to garner a writing credit I needed. If you've ever considered writing erotica of any genre this is a solid guide for doing it.
Ann Harrison
Mar 11, 2012 Ann Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I should read this book not only to make sure I was writing my sex scenes with the right amount of passion and credibility but because I read the blurb and Stacia Kane is hilarious. She writes honestly and with a heap of humor thrown in. Did I learn anything? Yes, I did. I learnt that I needed to put more emotion into my sex scenes. Thanks Stacia, I have recommended this book to my writing group.
Vee James
Apr 16, 2015 Vee James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This unlikely title is a book I have recommended to many writers when we discuss writing sex. Constructed from a series of blogs, the book nevertheless reads logically and delves into the subject in way that makes the suggestions easy to understand. Many writers struggle with taking on a love scene; Stacia Kane's suggestions are a great help.
Misha
I found this a solid writing craft book that tackled the subject in a frank and straightforward manner while also offering useful advice about writing sex scenes with emotional heft so they're not just descriptions of gyrating body parts.
Kenya Wright
Aug 31, 2011 Kenya Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great read! I learned alot about creating a sucessful sex scene... from build up to when and how to use sexual words!! I ended up creating an erotic romance short story with ease and confidence!!!
Anna Erishkigal
Mar 30, 2013 Anna Erishkigal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I wanted ... something to keep next to my desk when editing to help me go through that quasi-lame sex scene and leave it hot, sweaty, and spent.
Savannah Reynard
Dec 27, 2013 Savannah Reynard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author did a great job explaining how to deepen your characters and their relationships with a well written sex scene. Candid and very helpful!
Catrina Barton
I have to admit, this has a few ideas I'd have never considered when writing love scenes.
David Earle
Feb 15, 2015 David Earle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn about writing sex, this is the best resource around.
Erin Rose

Tidbits of information that proved to be very useful!
Chuck
Sep 26, 2011 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very very informative
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 04, 2016
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
  • Writing the Paranormal Novel: Techniques and Exercises for Weaving Supernatural Elements Into Your Story.
  • How to Write Hot Sex: Tips from Multi-Published Erotic Romance Authors
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • Passionate Ink: A Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Violence: A Writer's Guide
  • How to Write a Dirty Story: Reading, Writing, and Publishing Erotica
  • How to Write a Damn Good Mystery: A Practical Step-by-Step Guide from Inspiration to Finished Manuscript
  • Romance Writer's Phrase Book
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Creating Character Emotions
  • The Writer's Compass: From Story Map to Finished Draft in 7 Stages
  • Creating Characters: How to Build Story People
Stacia Kane is the author of the light-hearted romantic urban fantasy "Megan Chase" series starting with PERSONAL DEMONS.

She currently writes the gritty dystopian urban fantasy "Downside" series starring Chess Putnam and featuring ghosts, human sacrifice, drugs, witchcraft, punk rock, and a badass '69 Chevelle. She bleaches her hair and wears a lot of black.
More about Stacia Kane...