Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Stacia Kane writes novels filled with “...flaming hot sex...” (Romantic Times), “...sizzling romance that heats up every page ...” (Darque Reviews), and “...spicy sex scenes beautiful enough to make you cry and hot enough to steam windows at the same time...” (Michele Lee). She has published more than a dozen romances and urban fantasies, with publishers like Ellora’s Cave...more
Published July 19th 2010 (first published February 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet

Tez
Everything in this book was originally published on the author's blog. Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet does NOT contain new material. It is simply copied-and-pasted, formatted, printed, and bound. Which is a shame, because it needs a light copyedit, and maybe a content editor for when the author goes off on tangents. Also says stuff like, "On Monday I'll be talking about..." which needs to be edited out. Also mentions that she hoped to have a guest post (which in book format I guess would be a chapter...more
Claudia King
Review transcribed from my blog

* * *

The first thing to note about Be A Sex-Writing Strumpet is that it's an adaptation of a series of articles originally posted by the author on her blog, and the format very much reflects its original incarnation. Chapters are relatively short, conversational in tone, and easily consumed in one sitting. This, for me, was one of the things I really appreciated about this book. It's not a deep and thoroughly complex analysis of sex in fiction, it's not a stuffy a...more
Gemma
Have found this to be a very informative book and very helpful. I hope to use some of the hints and tops in my writing in future!
Silent_count
I feel the need to warn you that I am not a professional author. Or even an amateur one for that matter. However if you're like me and entertain fantasies about one day unleashing your literary masterpiece upon the (sure to be) fawning masses, you could do far, far worse than reading this book.

It's ostensibly about writing hotter-than-hot sex scenes and Ms. Kane does explain it all with unexpectedly impressive clarity. Thankfully she's not shy or coy about discussing sex and the "dirty" words us...more
Crys Williams
With the flippant title, the tiny price, and the crappy cover, I didn't expect much from this book. But it reviewed so well, it was worth a few bucks to give it a shot.

And it was SO worth it.

It's actually a lengthy series from her blog published as one volume, which is much more convenient than reading on-site and worth paying for. Her tone is light and the lessons/lectures are full of joking asides and detailed digressions, which may sound distracting, but it made it fun to read.

That said, the...more
Lisa Annesley
Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet is a collection of 24 blog posts that read like 24 short chapters of a 130 page book. Yes, you might be able to find the blog posts online. I don't know--I haven't looked. I like having everything on paper so I can highlight it and pull the book off my shelf when needed. Okay, disclaimer over. Now to the review...

This is a down and dirty (hee hee) how-to on writing sex scenes in erotic romance and romance novels and novellas. It's the most detailed, the most graphic, th...more
Elizabeth
I admit, I picked up this book with a little trepidation. I got my start writing erotica, and I've been crafting sex scenes for over 8 years, with nearly 50 published short stories, novellas, and novels under my belt. I figured I knew just about everything there was to know about writing sex. I was wrong.

Stacia Kane's approach to developing a sex scene blew me away. She takes the time to explain her process in great detail, from the importance of minute details to penning believable dialogue --...more
John Brooke
The naked facts about writing sex scenes taught by a successful writer. Candid, step by step explorations, humor and examples each chapter a lesson. Inspriational and showed me that it's all about the characters, their feelings and thoughts foreplaying their way to the act itself. How they are changed by the raw intimacy. This manual certainly has bouyed my confidence to write compelling sex scenes in my novels. Thank you Stacia Kane.
Sheila
not impressed... i felt i was being talked to as if i were at a conference or seminar, only i was reading... i read better writing from other books, and other authors in this genre. whoever numbered the pages did a poor job, as well as whoever edited it for publishing also did a poor job. sure, worth a read if you want to find out the author's thoughts on writing in this genre, but not worth the money i paid amazon for it.
Rachel Knight
Jul 01, 2012 Rachel Knight rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any writers who will include sex scenes in their books
Shelves: writing
I admit to being guilty of judging books by their covers (who isn't?) and wasn't expecting anything great from this book.

I was wrong though, I loved this book. It has great, practical advice on everything from dialogue to descriptions to pacing.

I would probably recommend it to people who already have some stuff written because most of the exercises in the book involve editing, or re-reading what you've already written, and I didn't have any sex scenes written when I read this book, so I lost a...more
Shiori
While I have no interest in writing sex scenes for fiction at this point in time, this eBook still made for great reading. Kane breaks down and explores the composition of these scenes in a casual and appealing style. She also provides writing and brainstorming activities for those seeking to put together their own story featuring well-composed sex scenes. Definitely worth the pocket change price tag if you're interested in writing sex scenes for (primarily romantic and erotic) fiction.
Bernard DeLeo
At the time I read 'Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet' I had not been able to sell any of my manuscripts to a publisher. Using 'Strumpet' as a guide, I gave one of my paranormal adventure manuscripts a makeover into an erotic/paranormal and was able to get my first professional writing contract under a penname. It didn't mean much in the way of money but I was able to garner a writing credit I needed. If you've ever considered writing erotica of any genre this is a solid guide for doing it.
Ann Harrison
I thought I should read this book not only to make sure I was writing my sex scenes with the right amount of passion and credibility but because I read the blurb and Stacia Kane is hilarious. She writes honestly and with a heap of humor thrown in. Did I learn anything? Yes, I did. I learnt that I needed to put more emotion into my sex scenes. Thanks Stacia, I have recommended this book to my writing group.
Kenya Wright
Really great read! I learned alot about creating a sucessful sex scene... from build up to when and how to use sexual words!! I ended up creating an erotic romance short story with ease and confidence!!!
Anna Erishkigal
This book was exactly what I wanted ... something to keep next to my desk when editing to help me go through that quasi-lame sex scene and leave it hot, sweaty, and spent.
Savannah Reynard
The author did a great job explaining how to deepen your characters and their relationships with a well written sex scene. Candid and very helpful!
Catrina Barton
I have to admit, this has a few ideas I'd have never considered when writing love scenes.
Erin Rose

Tidbits of information that proved to be very useful!
Chuck
very very informative
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Pootie Black
Pootie Black marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Sasha Cameron
Sasha Cameron marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Catherine Winther
Catherine Winther marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Stacia Kane is the author of the light-hearted romantic urban fantasy "Megan Chase" series starting with PERSONAL DEMONS.

She currently writes the gritty dystopian urban fantasy "Downside" series starring Chess Putnam and featuring ghosts, human sacrifice, drugs, witchcraft, punk rock, and a badass '69 Chevelle. She bleaches her hair and wears a lot of black.
More about Stacia Kane...
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4) Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)