Start by marking “Life Together Prayerbook of the Bible” as Want to Read:
Life Together Prayerbook of the Bible

Life Together Prayerbook of the Bible (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works #5)

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  283 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Volume 5A classic of Christian spirituality. In this theological interpretation of the Psalms, Bonhoeffer describes the moods of an individual's relationship with God and also the turns of love and heartbreak, of joy and sorrow that are themselves the Christian community's path to God.Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, a sixteen volume series, offers a f ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Augsburg Fortress, Publishers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Life Together Prayerbook of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Together Prayerbook of the Bible

Deborah
Great book on Christian community.
"He who is alone with his sin is utterly alone... The final breakthrough to community does not occur precisely because they enjoy community with one another as pious believers, but not with one another as those lacking piety, as sinners. For the pious community permits no one to be a sinner. Hence all have to conceal their sins from themselves and from the community. We are not allowed to be sinners. Many Christians would be unimaginably horrified if a real sinn
Butch
I became fascinated by Dietrich Bonhoeffer after reading Eric Metaxas' excellent biography of him a couple of years ago. These two books of Bonhoeffer add weight to the sense of alignment and fellowship I feel with him.
Life Together is a thought-provoking discussion of an area that the American church desperately needs to reclaim - the need for true community in the body of Christ. We were not meant to live in the individualistic way that most of us do - we need our brothers and sisters in Chri
Ken McGuire
Dietrich Bonhoeffer is probably the most famous 20th century Lutheran Theologian, and Life Together is his "best seller". It is, indeed often considered a modern spiritual classic. Unlike most German theology, this does not have not multiple page paragraphs with convoluted sentence structure. To some extent it is quite easy to read. Yet it is not really that easy to digest.

I must confess that my introduction to Bonhoeffer was that he was an advocate of a Religionless Christianity that wanted to
Elle Wolfe
Both books bear the crystalline theology and reverent spirituality of Dietrich B. Life Together is probably the definitive Handbook for Christian Community. It thoroughly discusses the possibilities and pitfalls of living with other Christians. It's a must for anyone wishing to create and foster community in their church or among friends and family (where two or more are gathered). The detail, the depth are immense.

In Prayerbook of the Bible, Bonhoeffer proposes - within his strict theology sep
Ashley
"The Christian cannot simply take for granted the privilege of living among other Christians. Jesus Christ lived in the midst of His enemies. In the end all His disciples abandoned Him. On the cross He was all alone, surrounded by criminals and the jeering crowds. He had come for the express purpose of bringing peace to the enemies of God. So Christians, too, belong not in the seclusion of a cloistered life but in the midst of enemies."

"It is easily forgotten that the community of Christians is
Jason
This is two distinct works rolled into one volume. I found Life Together to be a life-changing sort of work, the type that influences how you think about a topic over the long term. Bonhoeffer is serious, thoughtful, and at times unrealistically practical about what Christian life in community looks like in practice (the latter not being his fault, living a couple generations ago in a different culture). I came away from this book with a deeper reverence for God, and the understanding that Chris ...more
Jeff
This book, or two books in one, rather, is amazing. In Life Together, Bonhoeeffer examines what Christian community should look like. Granted, he is writing from an experience that few of us in the modern world can truly have. He lived in a true community that could get up, worship together with prayer and Scripture reading, first thing in the morning. Then, after their day of work, could all gather together again at the end of the day. This is simply not feasible in our society, at least not wh ...more
-kevin-
This translation is much easier to read. I found this out as I read it with some of my friends and they were reading the older version. More expensive but definitely worth it. I'm even thinking of getting Discipleship (The Cost of Discipleship) and reading it. Which I've wanted to for years, but just couldn't motivate. This might just be the thing to push me over the edge.

This book really opens ones eyes in a timeless manner to the possibility, even the hope of true community. Life giving and gr
Juan Devevo
Churches need to get to what is described in this book
Ben De Bono
Another fantastic read by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I'd read a good portion of Life Together previously but I got much more out of it this time around as I'm now more familiar with Bonhoeffer's life and work. The real highlight for me though was the Prayerbook of the Bible. It's a fantastic, though far too short, exploration of the book of Psalms. The points he makes about prayer are very powerful and challenging. You'll never read the Psalms the same again!
Adam Shields
Short review: (Only Life together, I haven't read Prayerbook of the Bible yet). I have read this a couple times in the past. This time his comments on the expectations of community and living in the community that God has placed you in were the sections that most struck me. This is a short book and if you have not read it yet, you really need to.

Full review on my blog at http://bookwi.se/life-together-bonhoe...
Jasonlylescampbell
He wrote this book in 2 weeks (the only distractions was occasional tennis and running into Berlin to get news about the war). This was after Finkenwilde was closed down. There is incredible insight, both psychological and theological, in this work. I really enjoyed reading it again in the new translation ... though there were some occasions where I liked my older translation better. Great book!
David
Best book I've ever read on Christian community. My only regret is that I did not read this 10 years ago.

The Prayerbook of the Bible, also included, is a nice little book. Honestly, I thought I was reading the introduction when I read it, it was so short. I finished and only then realized that was all it was; more of a pamphlet really.
Eric
a classic book from Bonhoeffer. His adament Christocentric viewpoint is sometimes a bit hard to accept today. But his viewpoint about the meaning of Christian community life is challenging food for thought. Is a book that should be read and pondered with seriousness.
Ron
These two books together are very short (less than 180 pages). I read them rather quickly and made several highlights in them. They should both be read either slowly or several times to get the full depth of them.
Dan Brunner
Rereading Life Together in this new translation is wonder and enlivening. The historical context of Bonhoeffer's Prayerbook on the Psalms is profound, and challenging. Excellent book.
Dwight Davis
Bonhoeffer's easiest book to read, yet his most challenging. Every Christian needs to read this.
David
It's a fantastic book that would be five stars if not for the annoying gender-neutral language.
Nathan Barton
Bonhoeffer's understanding of Christian community is truly inspiring and challenging.
Cameron West
A fantastic read. Simple, rich, challenging - I must return to it again soon.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Rec. by Ann Voskamp. The classic exploration of faith in community
Vernon
challenging read on how Christians might live in community
Skipper Boatwright
Amazing. Must read for all Christians.
Stephanie
Practical theology at its best.
Mick Wright
Mick Wright is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • The Calvary Road
  • The Humanity of God
  • Resident Aliens
  • On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518
  • Emerging Churches: Creating Christian Community in Postmodern Cultures
  • Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Hammer of God
  • Untamed: Reactivating a Missional Form of Discipleship
  • The Politics of Jesus: Vicit Agnus Noster
  • Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity (The Pastoral series, #2)
  • Imagining the Kingdom: How Worship Works
  • The Deep Things of God: How the Trinity Changes Everything
  • Red Letter Revolution: What If Jesus Really Meant What He Said?
  • The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a German Lutheran pastor and theologian. He was also a participant in the German Resistance movement against Nazism, a founding member of the Confessing Church. His involvement in plans by members of the Abwehr (the German Military Intelligence Office) to assassinate Adolf Hitler resulted in his arrest in April 1943 and his subsequent execution by hanging in April 1945, sho ...more
More about Dietrich Bonhoeffer...
The Cost of Discipleship Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community Letters and Papers from Prison Sanctorum Communio Ethics (Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, Vol. 6)

“It is not that God's help and presence must still be proved in our life; rather God's presence and help have been demonstrated for us in the life of Jesus Christ. It is in fact more important for us to know what God did to Israel, in God's Son Jesus Christ, than to discover what God intends for us today. The fact that Jesus Christ died is more important than the fact that I will die. And the fact that Jesus Christ was raised from the dead is the sole ground of my hope that I, too, will be raised on the day of judgment” 32 likes
“Those who love their dream of a Christian community more than the Christian community itself become destroyers of that Christian community even though their personal intentions may be ever so honest, earnest, and sacrificial.” 15 likes