Start by marking “My Place” as Want to Read:
My Place

My Place

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  463 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Starting in 1988 and going back 200 years, we are told the history of Australia by being told the history of one particular place, told by the generations of children who have lived in that one spot. Winner of Australia's Book of the Year 1988. Full-color illustrations.
Paperback, 20th Anniversary Edition, 48 pages
Published 2008 by Walker Books Australia (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about My Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Place

Caroline
May 20, 2015 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Paula Catao

I have just spent a delightful forty-five minutes reading the children’s book “My Place”. Winner of many awards in its home continent of Australia, it is fully worthy of all of them. What a joy and pleasure it was!

The book spans two centuries, from 1788 to 1988, and covers the same quarter acre of land – as we see how it has changed throughout this period. This is done via the voices of the children living there, and we visit them in 10-yearly intervals to learn about their lives and situations
Lisa Vegan
Jul 07, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all upper elementary kids, especially those interested in other kids, history, Australia
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
My goal today was to read at least a half dozen of the couple dozen picture books I have at home, but I think it’s going to be just this one because it took me so long to read and view. This book was well worth the time I took with it. It’s a superb book.

This is definitely a book for readers because it is both so text heavy and because all the pictures/maps have captions for every little thing, so a lot of reading is involved. Pre-readers may also enjoy it but I wouldn’t recommend this book for
Michelle
Jul 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's a read again and again and again kind of book.
Susie Hall
Oct 16, 2013 Susie Hall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers to use in class.
Topic 9, non-fiction narrative.
Wheatley, Nadia. (1987)My Place. Australia. Collins Dove, Melbourne.
This little book reveals a series of stories about the history of Children in Australia. Starting from 1988 the individual little stories go back in time dating back to 1788.
Each page demonstrates what the homes looked like and a map of the area in which the house is positioned. They seem to demonstrate some of the issues which affected the society at the time, tapping into the local issues and th
LauraW
Jan 14, 2011 LauraW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is another picture book that is better poured over than read aloud. The premise is a look backwards in time for a single location - tracing the people who lived in one house over time, and then back beyond that to who lived there, even before the house was built. My favorite part is the map that is found on each page, showing how the location changed over the years. I love maps.

If you are looking for story, you have to construct it by looking carefully at the changes. More straightforwardl
Maggie
May 17, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant children's book showing the same suburb visited each ten years, beginning from the present day and travelling backwards until pre colonial days. This book could be read forwards or backwards. It is jammed with history but doesn't feel like a history lesson. Each decade is accompanied by a detailed illustration showing the changes time has made. No wonder it won the Children's Book of the Year. Find a copy at your library and enjoy a wonderful children's book, even if you don't have any ...more
Paula Catao
Apr 14, 2012 Paula Catao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful book!
Tara Calaby
This was an immediate hit at my school when it was released, and while I enjoyed it then, I think I should look it up sometime and re-read it as an adult, because I have a feeling I'll actually appreciate it more now than I did back then.
'Lana
Aug 05, 2015 'Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this when I was helping children learn to read as it opened imaginations and prompted them to seek new stories. Never failed.
Daneika
May 09, 2016 Daneika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
My Place depicts a neighborhood in Australia and its changes over time. Wheatley starts with present day (or, rather, what was present day when the book was first published) and moves back ten years for each two page spread. I, like most Americans, know absolutely nothing about the world outside the U.S. of A. so almost all the historical events depicted in this book were new to me. I enjoyed that. I enjoyed taking a small trip through a small part of Australia with Wheatley and Rawlins. Well do ...more
Wrigley
Feb 02, 2009 Wrigley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book will turn out different than you expect, at least different than I expect.

[c - maps are right up my alley. This book starts in 1988 and dedicates a 2 page spread to showing the lives of the children who live in this place each decade back to 1788. Each child draws a map of the area and we get to see how it changes from decade to decade. We also get to know just a little bit about the families who live in "my place" for more than one decade.:]
Amy
Heidi actually really enjoys reading this one on her own. I didn't think she would find it very interesting as I think the format is just a BIT over her. Perhaps not? More of a condensed history of Australia based on brief family life excerpts. Some of it was very specific to a particular circumstance so I felt like I had to explain a lot to clarify this. Although again, Heidi has mentioned more than once that she really loves this book.
Jessica
I love this book! It shows, using illustrations and evocative descriptions, how one place has changed over decades. Starting in 1988, it goes back 200 years when indigenous Australians occupied that particular piece of land. It is quite interesting to see how things have changed - technology and resources, infrastructure, clothing, and multiculturalism entering Australian society.
Jun 06, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly detailed book. Could use it for a community unit or map unit for your kids. Instead of reading entire book, just highlight the parts that coincide with what you are studying in the classroom. Probably for more advanced readers.
Faye
May 30, 2012 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just loved this beautiful story. Great to teach students the history of their country. Beautiful pictures, great words, what a great text.
Julie
Nov 07, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Australians
This book is a time machine! I will definitely be using this as a teachers resource, it has so much potential!
Erin
Good book for many social studies and map lessons. Absolute and relative location.
Allison Henry
great for teaching map skills as well as sequence, time periods, etc.
Victoria
Aug 15, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book and the way it reveals layers of culture.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2010 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book!
Alison Smallwood
Alison Smallwood rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Prue
Prue rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
carmen
carmen added it
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Sammy
Sammy rated it really liked it
Edith
Edith marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Are We There Yet?: A Journey Around Australia
  • Where the Forest Meets the Sea
  • Fox
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Penny Pollard's Diary
  • Anno's Journey
  • Haunted House
  • Come Away From the Water, Shirley
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Mr. Majeika